UA to Launch LAX-SIN!

Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:32 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
United has served Singapore for more than 30 years and today operates daily nonstop service between Singapore and SFO with Boeing 787-9 aircraft. With the launch of new nonstop service between SIN and LAX on Oct. 29, the airline will terminate service from Hong Kong (HKG) to SIN on Oct. 27, and from SIN to HKG on Oct. 28. United will continue to operate daily service between SIN and SFO.
so what will happen to the hkg inflight base? still enough flying?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:39 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
The official Wikipedia range of the 789 is 7635 nm, and LAX-SIN is 7623. Adding fuel reserve requirements and westbound winds, I am really interested to see how they make this work.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55
18 hours in United Economy. The tears from my laughing could fuel Niagara Falls for 10 years.
I'd probably cobble something together that includes the island hopper before I book 18 hrs on a (UA) 789 non-stop.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I'd probably cobble something together that includes the island hopper before I book 18 hrs on a (UA) 789 non-stop.
But you can no longer get to SIN from HNL without the HKG-SIN flight
In my exciting days I used to love SFO-HNL-Hopper-GUM-HKG-SIN
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
The official Wikipedia range of the 789 is 7635 nm, and LAX-SIN is 7623. Adding fuel reserve requirements and westbound winds, I am really interested to see how they make this work.

"Soaring" - Gliding while maintaining altitude, thus flying a heavier-than-air craft by using ascending currents of air.

When TG was doing their 17 hour LAX-BKK flights, I did about 5 r/t's, and it was a killer!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by spin88
Well the 350-9 has a slightly (about 500 sm) longer range than the 787-9.
Boeing generally has a history of stating the spec's for its planes more conservatively than Airbus.

Note, too, that flying westbound there are a number of alternates as you get closer to SIN -- such a MNL or SGN. So if fuel runs short, you needn't get your feet wet.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
But you can no longer get to SIN from HNL without the HKG-SIN flight
In my exciting days I used to love SFO-HNL-Hopper-GUM-HKG-SIN
I am a free agent, not motivated by PQM or PQD. So I am sure I can find an alternative carrier
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:16 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Haha, I will be a free agent too when I hit 1MM...should have 190K left at end of 2017.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
Well the 350-9 has a slightly (about 500 sm) longer range than the 787-9. So color me surprised. While I would not expect much cargo demand for LAX-SIN (the issue is westbound vs the jet stream) the plane is going to go out weight restricted much of the time.

My guess is that they have demand from corporate accounts ex-LA (mostly media/advertising/creative) but are losing enough of it via SFO to SQ's better product, and as a result, since they have spare aircraft, decided to just accept blocking seats to be able to try to secure that LAX premium traffic.

It will be interesting to see if SQ just matches them, and is willing to run the A359 weight restricted, until they get the ULH version.
The range figures Airbus gives are wrong. The real range is usually about 90-95% of the given number. Boeing used to do the same thing but switched a few years ago and updated all their figures to accurately reflect the ranges.

I will most likely never take this flight, as I hate connecting in LAX and love connecting in SFO, but love to see UA expanding and not shrinking. Didn't see this coming, where they are launching SIN before HKG and ICN (maybe even TPE as well...).

Very curious to see how SQ will respond. They did not want to launch SFO-SIN before they got the A359 ULH, but did so reluctantly so UA would not completely take over the market. LAX-SIN has more O&D than SFO-SIN and the A380 should be able to make this flight, so I could easily see them cancelling one of the fifth freedom flights and scheduling a nonstop. More likely, they cancel one of the fifth freedoms and schedule an A350 and will just switch it out to a ULH version once they arrive (like what they may do in SFO).
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
...the airline will terminate service from Hong Kong (HKG) to SIN on Oct. 27, and from SIN to HKG on Oct. 28. [/B]United will continue to operate daily service between SIN and SFO.
I guess that effectively kills any possible GPU's to Singapore. Anyone flying from the east coast to SIN will have to endure an even longer flight and all in Y. Literally 24hrs in Y. At this point, I think I'd prefer flying EWR-HKG (in J) and then some other airline to SIN. Though there are probably few options that late.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I think this breaks some kind of human rights treaty
Lol I hope they reconfig these 789s with PE seats.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Wonder what moves SQ will make as a result. Since they have 2 daily flights with connections (LAX-NRT-SIN and LAX-ICN-SIN). Have to imagine one gets cut (guess would be ICN based on anecdotal load checks).
Will it be worth making a change, as they are in the same *A? I'd choose a stop with SQ over nonstop in UA, for the comfort factors.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a nice surprise! I was wonder if you can fly more than 18 hours. Well, it will be too impossible for me. It's very uncomfortable to flying.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I think this breaks some kind of human rights treaty
LOL, best post of the day. Or month.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eng3
I guess that effectively kills any possible GPU's to Singapore. Anyone flying from the east coast to SIN will have to endure an even longer flight and all in Y. Literally 24hrs in Y. At this point, I think I'd prefer flying EWR-HKG (in J) and then some other airline to SIN. Though there are probably few options that late.
Been looking at option for the past hour......

I think our only hope is they move the flight back 4-6 hours and arrive early afternoon in HKG

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.