Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to Launch LAX-SIN!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Ironically, I was sitting on a flight and the captain came out for a break/chat and he was talking to the FA's about the wifi. He stated that we get worse/no wifi service over Canada than over Russia.
On Monday SIN-SFO our flt track was well clear of the great white north. Tracking well south of my SFO-NRT a week earlier. ( unable to upload flight track ) The WiFi was uniformly mediocre the entire time.
The only time I have been over Oh Canada on SIN-USA was EWR-SIN and SIN-EWR.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Nov 9, 2017 at 4:19 pm
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Kacee
It might cost anywhere from $16 to $40.

It might work well, intermittently, or not at all. It's satellite based, so the only routing issue is if you cross Chinese airspace. This flight should not.
The China airspace restriction doesn't seem to be there anymore. For the past few months, it's worked just fine for me on 777s and 747s (weep!). I've not been on a 787 over China however.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, United Club, IHG Ambassador/Spire
Originally Posted by BThumme
Can anyone comment on how much wifi might cost for this flight, or how well it works given the routing?
I paid about at least $35-40 for the entire flight from sin-lax on oct 30. It does get spotty sometimes, but overall its good.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat | Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fly2lanai
I paid about at least $35-40 for the entire flight from sin-lax on oct 30. It does get spotty sometimes, but overall its good.
I basically found the same experience both ways on the 2nd LAX-SIN and the 6th SIN-LAX. Pulling up the receipt I paid $35.99 for full flight both ways, and iirc it was $15 / $20 / $35 for the three options it gave you but I totally forget the time blocks on the first two.

Oddly WiFi service was alright most of the way over the Pacific but I specifically remember it being horrible about 45 minutes outside of Singapore as well as around the Philippines.

Last edited by Akrylis; Nov 9, 2017 at 6:39 pm
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Akrylis
I basically found the same experience both ways on the 2nd LAX-SIN and the 6th SIN-LAX. Pulling up the receipt I paid $35.99 for full flight both ways, and iirc it was $15 / $20 / $35 for the three options it gave you but I totally forget the time blocks on the first two.

Oddly WiFi service was alright most of the way over the Pacific but I specifically remember it being horrible about 45 minutes outside of Singapore as well as around the Philippines.
I did a screen shot of the charges. Here is what I had. +1h = $14.99 or 2,310 miles; +2h = $20.99 or 3,240 miles or Full flight $35.99 or 5,550 miles. I wasn't really paying attention when it was spotty but overall. its ok.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by fly2lanai
I did a screen shot of the charges. Here is what I had. +1h = $14.99 or 2,310 miles; +2h = $20.99 or 3,240 miles or Full flight $35.99 or 5,550 miles. I wasn't really paying attention when it was spotty but overall. its ok.
I bought an hour access since as we were getting close to landing, it was around noon back on the east coast. Silly, but I tried facetiming...and it worked. I didn't stay on it for more then a minute, but there is a certain novelty about being over the pacific ocean and being able to video chat with someone back home.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:03 pm

Good to know that.. Thanks
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by expressboy
Similar for me for Nov 9. 30 seats open in J when I booked a month ago, down to 4 now. SFO-SIN had 6 seats open in J (now down to 1) and I decided to take an extra hop to improve my chances but I don't think it will help.
I must have been lucky as I'm trying to use up GPU's. Booked a flight EWR-LAX-SIN in February and no upgrade space showing available (but seat maps showing few assigned seats). About an hour after I booked the LAX-SIN segment cleared and I got am email from United confirming it. First time on the 789!

Adam
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:52 pm

Do you earn more PQD through ORD-LAX-SIN or ORD-NRT-SIN?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ecatalina
Do you earn more PQD through ORD-LAX-SIN or ORD-NRT-SIN?
Do you mean PQM? Assuming you're ticketing via UA in both cases, the PQD would be whatever the fare is, less taxes.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:00 pm
dso

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Absolutely no R space LAX-SIN / SFO-SIN (or Return)?

I have a question to everyone that's been using upgrades on this flight recently.
I have been looking at R space (to use a GPU) on LAX-SIN (or SIN-LAX), or alternatively SFO-SIN/SIN-SFO. Can't find a single R space on any day, for any of these legs in November 2018 (or, for that matter, October, or early December).
Matter of fact, I can't see a single R 'ever'. When I checked in December, I found a good amount of R availability when checking random days. Did something 'happen'? Any use calling the 1K desk (they'd see the same inventory as I do, right?)?

I know this is a hard one to upgrade, but that there is literally 'nothing'? BTW< most of these have every seat open in business.

Cheers

Last edited by dso; Jan 4, 2018 at 5:05 pm
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dso
I have question to everyone that's been using upgrades on this flight recently.
I have been looking at R space (to use a GPU) on LAX-SIN (or SIN-LAX), or alternatively SFO-SIN/SIN-SFO. Can't find a single R space on any day, for any of these legs in November 2018 (or, for that matter, October, or early December).
Matter of fact, I can't see a single R 'ever'. When I checked in December, I found a good amount of R availability when checking random days. Did something 'happen'? Any use calling the 1K desk (they'd see the same inventory as I do, right?)?

I know this is a hard one to upgrade, but that there is literally 'nothing'? BTW< most of these have every seat open in business.

Cheers
The 1K agent will see the same inventory as you do. R space comes and goes, but, in general, UA is operating these flights because it believes there are a lot of people willing to pa premium prices to fly up front on these routes. They're not particularly interested in offering upgrades, especially 11 months in advance. The fact that every seat is open doesn't mean anything, as they still have 11 months to sell tickets, and very little travel is planned this far in advance.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by jsloan
The 1K agent will see the same inventory as you do. R space comes and goes, but, in general, UA is operating these flights because it believes there are a lot of people willing to pa premium prices to fly up front on these routes. They're not particularly interested in offering upgrades, especially 11 months in advance.
And given that these flights will often be weight limited, it’s doubly important for UA to actually sell the premium seats rather than giving them away as free upgrades.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by milypan

And given that these flights will often be weight limited, it’s doubly important for UA to actually sell the premium seats rather than giving them away as free upgrades.
Yeah - since those seats are heavier!

David
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:10 pm
dso

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Fair enough - thanks for the quick replies.
Though, when I checked some September dates in late December, I found a splattering of R - which are all gone now even though no seats are taken. And, even going through random dates in, say, May - no R at all..

Best,
Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.