United staff privileges over customers?

Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Dia, SPG Plat, Hyatt Dia
United staff privileges over customers?

What are the united staff privileges when it comes to flying? I have noticed more and more that united staff are boarding before everyone else (with global services or before) and making sure they get overhead space when other passengers were forced to check baggage.

On recent flights they have been taking many of the premium seats (ePlus aisles) on full flights.

On one of my recent intercontinental flights I was the only customer in Global First and listened to all the other passengers gossip about United.

This appears to be another symptom of United not putting customer first!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:16 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Were they in uniform? Deadheading?

Were there customers who were entitled to the seats that were ignored to give the seats to employees?

There are specific benefits that employees get... and just because a customer wants the better seat... does not mean they get it.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:47 am
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by magstravel
What are the United staff privileges when it comes to flying?
Generally (always?) pilots and FA's board prior to customers as they are working the flight.

I have noticed more and more that united staff are boarding before everyone else (with global services or before) and making sure they get overhead space when other passengers were forced to check baggage.
Are they in uniform? If so, did they work the flight?

On recent flights they have been taking many of the premium seats (ePlus aisles) on full flights.
At times, UA employees are contractually guaranteed F / E+ seats. If these were employees deadheading or trying to clear on standby, then these might have been the last seats assigned.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:48 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Sounds like OP is ranting about two different issues:

1) Non-working crewmembers in uniform are allowed to board the plane with the working crew.

2) Non-rev/pass travel/deadheading are a part of the employee benefits. Depending on the travel circumstance, they can on a last-seat basis. I've seen commuting FA boarded first, but sitting in a middle seat. On a full flight, the FA/pilot could end up sitting in the jumpseat.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: 1K
What are the united staff privileges when it comes to flying? I have noticed more and more that united staff are boarding before everyone else (with global services or before) and making sure they get overhead space when other passengers were forced to check baggage.

On one of my recent intercontinental flights I was the only customer in Global First and listened to all the other passengers gossip about United.

This appears to be another symptom of United not putting customer first!
A non-rev employee (very friendly) seated next to me in Polaris business ICN-SFO on 5/30 received what I asked for in my first choice for the meal service and I got stuck with neither my first or second choice! While the meal wasn't great, it is what it is. She knew the flight attendant and spoke with her quite a bit so just it happens from time to time.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by PTahCha
1) Non-working crewmembers in uniform are allowed to board the plane with the working crew.
This tells something about UA philosophy​: customers second.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
While I understand the OP's viewpoint (especially when it comes to waitlisted upgrades, clearing standby, and maybe even boarding...), no one would work for United if it treated its employees like crap. There has to be a balance and I'm sure most of us only have the viewpoint of the 'customer' unless you've worked for the airline. IF we did, I'm sure we would argue that United needs to provide its 'employees' with better benefits.

However, my take:

1. If you want to sit in F/E+, buy it. United says that you COULD be upgraded complimentarily . If you want it for sure, then buy it. Nowhere in a passengers CoC (I believe) does it say that UA has to upgrade you to E+ if E is not available. What's wrong with United putting its employees in E+ (when they actually have a contract entitling them to those seats on a space by space basis)?

2. If you want bin space, then buy it / get the credit card or purchase premier access. By the time you get to BG4/5 there's hardly any bin space and this appears to be the only way to guarantee it.

3. We often don't know the full picture at hand. Sure, it may appears that UA is putting it's customers first by giving an employee bin space prior to customers. However, what if that employee has a 30 minute connection or less to get to a flight he/she has to work. If that employee has to wait for checked bags, then it could delay the entire plane and cause HUNDREDS of people to be delayed or miss connections. Giving 1,2,or even 5 employees bin space seems hardly unreasonable in this case.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SkiPremier
A non-rev employee (very friendly) seated next to me in Polaris business ICN-SFO on 5/30 received what I asked for in my first choice for the meal service and I got stuck with neither my first or second choice! While the meal wasn't great, it is what it is. She knew the flight attendant and spoke with her quite a bit so just it happens from time to time.
You should check the rules and probably report the FA and the nonrev to UA.

Most airlines have rules to the effect that nonrevs in FC and business class are to get the last choice of meals. I know DL does, and generally follows it, but I'm not sure about the specifics of the UA policy. IIRC UA is supposed to prioritize GS, then 1K, perhaps other UA and *A elites, and other revenue passengers (I'm not sure how upgrades are treated) in granting meal choices.

As a 1K on a revenue ticket (including award tickets), you should have not lost your first choice of meal to a nonrev.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You should check the rules and probably report the FA and the nonrev to UA.

Most airlines have rules to the effect that nonrevs in FC and business class are to get the last choice of meals. I know DL does, and generally follows it, but I'm not sure about the specifics of the UA policy. IIRC UA is supposed to prioritize GS, then 1K, perhaps other UA and *A elites, and other revenue passengers (I'm not sure how upgrades are treated) in granting meal choices.

As a 1K on a revenue ticket (including award tickets), you should have not lost your first choice of meal to a nonrev.
I've personally witnessed non-rev employees getting moved to first bypassing the upgrade standby list completely. I was sitting in F and looked at the list (curious). The list never moved, nor did the seatmap change, but the un-uniformed (vacationing) nonrevs who were yukin' it up with the gate agents were suddenly occupying those seats.

So it DOES happen
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Meh. I really don't have an issue with the airline taking care of its associates. I find this infinitely more palatable than yesterday's UA535 SFO-EWR flight where it appeared 20% of the aircraft got on early between service animals, people needing assistance, people giving assistance to those needing assistance, people giving assistance to the people giving assistance to those needing assistance, military personnel NOT in uniform and toddlers over the age of 12.

Last edited by AugustusM; Jun 1, 2017 at 8:38 am Reason: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by AugustusM
Meh. I really don't have an issue with the airline taking care of its associates. I find this infinitely more palatable than yesterday's UA535 SFO-EWR flight where it appeared 20% of the aircraft got on early between service animals, people needing assistance, people giving assistance to those needing assistance, people giving assistance to the people giving assistance to those needing assistance, military personnel NOT in uniform and toddlers over the age of 12.
Best post of the day. Though, I have long had an issue with 80%+ of GF seats getting filled with non-revs -- rather than pricing buy-ups within reach of ordinary mortals.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I've personally witnessed non-rev employees getting moved to first bypassing the upgrade standby list completely. I was sitting in F and looked at the list (curious). The list never moved, nor did the seatmap change, but the un-uniformed (vacationing) nonrevs who were yukin' it up with the gate agents were suddenly occupying those seats.

So it DOES happen
PM me the flight/date(s) and I will happily verify this for you and for the board
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by FreFly
This tells something about UA philosophy​: customers second.
Consider this - a crew is deadheading and isn't allowed to board until the end of the process. The overhead bins are full and the crew has to check their bags at the gate. They have a quick turn around at the destination. Now they have to go to baggage claim to retrieve bags and their next flight is delayed, inconveniencing an entire aircraft of passengers, missed connections, etc... United owns united, sets their policies, procedures, etc... The policy for deadheading crews has been long standing and was developed to prevent the issue of those crewmembers having to check their bags which could cause a delay downline.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:44 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
I am not trying to be judgmental, but threads like this piss me off. It's one thing if you are asking for pure information, but you last sentence:
"This appears to be another symptom of United not putting customer first!"
clearly makes a point.

They work for the airline, they guarantee your safety...don't you want them to be rested for their next flight where they are in charge of 100s of lives?! Is that not a little more important than your email or how far you can stretch your legs?!

I come here to read informational threads, new route announcements, etc. [Moderator edit of text disallowed by FT Rule 12.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 1, 2017 at 11:59 am Reason: See note above.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55
I am not trying to be judgmental, but threads like this piss me off. It's one thing if you are asking for pure information, but you last sentence:
"This appears to be another symptom of United not putting customer first!"
clearly makes a point.

They work for the airline, they guarantee your safety...don't you want them to be rested for their next flight where they are in charge of 100s of lives?! Is that not a little more important than your email or how far you can stretch your legs?!

I come here to read informational threads, new route announcements, etc. [Conforming moderator edit to original quote]
Deadheading crews are one thing. They are effectively "at work".

NRSA, on the other hand, are supposed to blend in. It's part of the deal -- free flights on a space available basis, and once on board, act like any other passenger. Acting like you own the place, cheating the upgrade list, etc., is what pisses off the customers. That is where the "customers are second" observation comes from.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 1, 2017 at 12:00 pm Reason: Conforming edit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.