FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Minor rant on Online check-in (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1845599-minor-rant-online-check.html)

Diogenes1789 May 31, 2017 1:34 pm

Minor rant on Online check-in

No longer have status, and still fly SOME flights on United. For tomorrow's flight, get the email and txt message from United that I can check in. Something that most have done hundreds of times before. United.com makes me go through page ater page of seat selection, even though they have been pre-selected months ago, and I have no desire to change them. When I get to the very end, get a message to the effect: We are not able to check you in at this time (18 hrs before flight time). Please check in at the airport. One of my favorite pleasures: waiting in interminable lines to do something that could have been done online, if United's computer system worked properly.

IAH-OIL-TRASH May 31, 2017 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Diogenes1789 (Post 28384310)
No longer have status, and still fly SOME flights on United. For tomorrow's flight, get the email and txt message from United that I can check in. Something that most have done hundreds of times before. United.com makes me go through page ater page of seat selection, even though they have been pre-selected months ago, and I have no desire to change them. When I get to the very end, get a message to the effect: We are not able to check you in at this time (18 hrs before flight time). Please check in at the airport. One of my favorite pleasures: waiting in interminable lines to do something that could have been done online, if United's computer system worked properly.

Are you flying int'l?

demkr May 31, 2017 2:29 pm

You should just check in on a mobile device. Haven't checked in on the web in a long while.

BBSHOPSINGER May 31, 2017 2:36 pm

I've never had an issue, and I've never tried checking in prior to the 24-hour mark. Even for international.

oopl May 31, 2017 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 28384318)
Are you flying int'l?

This. Could be a visa issue.

iapetus May 31, 2017 4:37 pm

I'd either get to the airport extra 'specially early or call UA now ... or both.

livebetter_travelmore May 31, 2017 4:51 pm

A parallel favorite: upon starting the OLCI receiving the invitation to pay for an upgrade to F, going through all the motions (including entry of credit card info), only to receive the same outcome as you describe above. Now, upon said occurrences -- yes, it's happened more than once -- I have re-initiated the entire OLCI sequence and then chosen to decline the offer to upgrade, and voila the check-in completed fine. I have submitted these details to United's feedback link (as suggested by a gate agent), but nothing results from that other than a form-letter apology.

garykung May 31, 2017 7:18 pm

Maybe another SSSS?

Mikerascan May 31, 2017 7:37 pm

Yes, I have experienced this from KIX to SFO in 2016 where I was issued SSSS at the ticket counter after not being allowed to OLCI.

drewguy May 31, 2017 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 28384318)
Are you flying int'l?

It sure would be nice if UA's system would, instead of spitting out a "check in now" email would instead send out "Your reservation requires airport checkin" at 24 hours (and an explanation would be a bonus - or even a "possible reasons").

sj22 May 31, 2017 9:54 pm

Tell me about it - I fly the same flight maybe 20 times a year and have a non-US passport and visa and nexus on file, and can't check in online in either direction. As a 1K, its super annoying, especially since it sometimes makes a difference between grabbing an upgrade or not.

Flying Machine May 31, 2017 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by oopl (Post 28385183)
This. Could be a visa issue.

I can't check in when flying to GRU (wish they would store the Visas somehow).. The Brazilan Visas are Machine Readable as well..