Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines' New Transcontinental Service

Premium transcontinental service EWR to/from SFOLAX and BOS to/from SFO (Boston service starting 1 July 2017)
  • Flat-bed seats with custom-designed duvet & pillow provided by Saks Fifth Avenue
  • New amenity kits featuring Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Featured cocktail, Moscow Mule
  • Hot towel service offered after take-off & prior to landing
  • Seasonally refreshed menus
  • Dining will be topped off with items from United Polaris' dessert menu.
  • Before arrival, snacks such as Boulder Canyon potato chips & Madik’s almonds will be served.
  • Note: These routes are not CPU eligible (with need to use RPU/GPU/Miles+copay)

Complimentary hot meal and beverage service for customers seated in Economy Plus.

Also adding United Club access before flight and after arrival, just like ps
Print Wikipost

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by goalie
First off, I think it's about time that this change happened ^ and I do like the fact that E+ will get free food and booze ^ but I also remember when PS started and that all pax in Y* received a free meal** but that went the way of the Dodo so I hope say a year/2 years from now, it's still around

*granted it was all E+ back then
**albeit a snack box with a sandwich
Was it really a snack box with sandwich? I recall a full hot meal like int'l Y.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by villox
Pretty strange to make E+ a different class, and a little disconcerting. Makes me wonder if they're going to start doing something different on international too - treating it as a separate class while leaving the hard product the same.

A lot of people get E+ at check-in by virtue of the fact that E- is full and they don't have a seat assignment. Now those lucky few will get a free meal out of it?

Is it still the same rules for complimentary E+, elites of Gold and above get it automatically on these flights?

Or are these flights a special exemption, since they eliminated any CPUs?
Old May 31, 2017, 10:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
Is it still the same rules for complimentary E+, elites of Gold and above get it automatically on these flights?

Or are these flights a special exemption, since they eliminated any CPUs?
There was no change in E+ access for previous PS routes which had no CPU eligibility (same for long haul international).
Old May 31, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by rflor
Does Delta have an equivalent to Platinum, and if so, how is that handled?

For me, the #1 perk of UA Platinum is E+ for my entire party. I use it regularly for family travel, so it would suck if they devalue that benefit.
Yes, DL also has an equivalent of 1K (Diamond), except it requires 125k MQM instead of 100k PQM. Nevertheless, DL Diamond still do not get automatic C+ access at booking and still can only bring up 1 companion.

The strongest argument in favor of UA retaining easier access to E+ than DL does for C+ is that UA's ratio of E+ to E- seats is higher than DL's (or pretty much any other US airline).* Thus we might expect "looser" access on UA than other carriers. I would nevertheless expect some kind of tightening in the future...at least get rid of 8 companions if nothing else.

* I should note that's actually not true, however, for the specific aircraft in question here. The UA 752 PS has 42 E+ seats, while the DL 75S has 44 C+ seats.

Last edited by milypan; May 31, 2017 at 10:55 am Reason: Update seating info
Old May 31, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, Alaska Gold
What will be interesting to see is:

1) If UA does decide to follow Delta in making E+ (C+) a separate class of service

2) How this will play out given UA (in general) has far more E+ seats per plane. My thought is that this plays into Kirby's recent statement - i.e. remove E+ seating and add more E-
Old May 31, 2017, 10:46 am
Suspended

Boston. Great!
Now if they could only add the East Coast's busiest airport!
Ya know, JFK...
Old May 31, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
It's official. BOS - SFO is now part of the premium transcon market.

Surprisingly, United is adding free HOT meals to EconomyPlus on all premium transcon flights.

More details on my blog, but full press release pasted below:
As always Matt, great post and good gouge! Glad to see the improvements over PS. I know it's not scientific but looking at the food pics from those that fly the PS planes in C class always seemed underwhelming. And as a native Bostonian glad to see that UA is competing there on the SFO routes for now.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Only one companion to E+ would be very painful. It is a benefit I use often to fly with our family of 4. I wouldn't mind if they reduced it from the current 10, or whatever it is, for 1Ks to something more family-sized (i.e. maybe 4-5 companions). I would guess that most people wouldn't require more than that anyway?
Old May 31, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Free hot meals in E+ - that's a pretty big change.

A few pictures are up on the website:

New amenity bag, with the same stuff inside:

New meal setup? Using Polaris dishware

Matching DL, not bad. That gives a reason for any elites on E+ to have the hot food plus the free food item+drink. That's the way to appreciate the elites and people who pay for the E+. Pretty well done.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by kseaflyr
2) How this will play out given UA (in general) has far more E+ seats per plane. My thought is that this plays into Kirby's recent statement - i.e. remove E+ seating and add more E-
Following my initial post I went and looked at more seat maps, and frankly the difference is not quite as large as I'd thought. The mitigating factor is that UA designates exit row seats as E+, but DL does not designate them as C+ (but does reserve them for elites until T-24). They're ultimately the same seat though, except for the meal/snack.

For example, the UA A320 has 42 E+, while the DL A320 has 18 C+ plus 12 exit seats. So the greater than 2:1 ratio for UA is effectively more like 1.4:1. The UA 739 has 39, 42, or 51 E+ seats, while the DL 739 has 21 C+ plus 8 exit seats, or 29 total, and the DL A321 has 29 C+ seats plus 6 exit seats, or 35 total.

Bottom line: UA does have more extra legroom seats than DL on most aircraft, but the ratio between the two isn't as high as you'd think at first glance.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Interesting UA didn't follow AA's lead of allowing premium transcon passengers into the higher-level lounge (FL for AA, Polaris for UA).
Old May 31, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by GBadger
Only one companion to E+ would be very painful. It is a benefit I use often to fly with our family of 4. I wouldn't mind if they reduced it from the current 10, or whatever it is, for 1Ks to something more family-sized (i.e. maybe 4-5 companions). I would guess that most people wouldn't require more than that anyway?
Yeah it's mysterious that it's not something like 1*/1/2/3/4 or, at most, 1*/2/4/6/8, where * indicates only available at T-24.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Sweet. We're in paid F for BOS->SFO on July 4th. It was already a lie-flat seat, but it'll be nice to try out the new service.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA GS
Just got an email about this. The branding for this new service is very strange. In the email they are very inconsistent with at least 4 different ways of naming this service...What is it actually called?

- Expanded Transcontinental Service?
- next generation of transcontinental service?
- cross-country comfort?
- coast-to-coast flights?

Old May 31, 2017, 11:37 am

Doesn't Delta and AA offer the entire economy cabin a free cold meal on these flights? United isn't going to offer even a cold option for regular economy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.