Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines' New Transcontinental Service

Premium transcontinental service EWR to/from SFOLAX and BOS to/from SFO (Boston service starting 1 July 2017)
  • Flat-bed seats with custom-designed duvet & pillow provided by Saks Fifth Avenue
  • New amenity kits featuring Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Featured cocktail, Moscow Mule
  • Hot towel service offered after take-off & prior to landing
  • Seasonally refreshed menus
  • Dining will be topped off with items from United Polaris' dessert menu.
  • Before arrival, snacks such as Boulder Canyon potato chips & Madik’s almonds will be served.
  • Note: These routes are not CPU eligible (with need to use RPU/GPU/Miles+copay)

Complimentary hot meal and beverage service for customers seated in Economy Plus.

Also adding United Club access before flight and after arrival, just like ps
Print Wikipost

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
BOS-SFO downgraded from 752 to 753

Looks like tomorrow morning's UA 207 BOS-SFO got swapped from a 752 to a 753, meaning a switch from lie flats to recliners up front. The same aircraft flew UA 242 SFO-BOS today. Just wondering: is this common practice? And if so, what compensation can one expect, given that a flat bed is the key element of the PS product?

For the record, I'm on an earlier flight tomorrow morning. I hope I'm safe for the way out tomorrow...but now it'll be good to be wary on the return.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
Looks like tomorrow morning's UA 207 BOS-SFO got swapped from a 752 to a 753, meaning a switch from lie flats to recliners up front. The same aircraft flew UA 242 SFO-BOS today. Just wondering: is this common practice? And if so, what compensation can one expect, given that a flat bed is the key element of the PS product?

For the record, I'm on an earlier flight tomorrow morning. I hope I'm safe for the way out tomorrow...but now it'll be good to be wary on the return.
Subbing 753 for 752 has been known to happen during IRROPS when an aircraft gets out of position, but I would be surprised it becomes a regular occurrence at this point. Not sure if they will/did proactively offer compensation for pax on the flight(s) or just hope no one ntices.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just wondering: is this common practice? And if so, what compensation can one expect, given that a flat bed is the key element of the PS product?
Not common (at least not on the ps routes), but it does happen. Historically, on ps they would allow free change to a flight with lie-flats and offer ETCs. I don't remember the value.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not common (at least not on the ps routes), but it does happen. Historically, on ps they would allow free change to a flight with lie-flats and offer ETCs. I don't remember the value.
You can also try sending UA customer service an email. They may give you a voucher for a future flight.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

Happens often. They have a lot of 752 MX issues right now. They will offer a voucher, often proactively.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Wife and I each received $1000 ETCs for a 752-753 swap LAX-EWR. Whether this is standard, or was enhanced due to our GS status, I don't know.
rch4u likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:31 am

So as of April 1 Delta has streamlined catering on the transcons along with the return of free upgrades.

One tray for the meal.

Now on the lunch menu at least out of LAX - choices are glorified BLT, chicken topped salad, or veg pasta. Kind of like AA where sandwiches / rolls would make it on to the lunch menu.

The usual dessert and looks like the wine held.

Hopefully UA doesn’t follow but we know how that goes.

Guess the cheap JetBlue fares finally caught up.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
So as of April 1 Delta has streamlined catering on the transcons along with the return of free upgrades.
Which has sparked lots of complaints on the DL forum about "allowing the riff-raff" up front

It would sure be interesting to know the effect the B6 fares have had on overall yields. Used to be these routes were very high fare in J, but easy upgrade. Now they're a range of fares (including cheap buy-ups), and no upgrades.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Guess the cheap JetBlue fares finally caught up.
It would sure be interesting to know the effect the B6 fares have had on overall yields. Used to be these routes were very high fare in J, but easy upgrade. Now they're a range of fares (including cheap buy-ups), and no upgrades.
JetBlue's $599 one-way Mint fares were a sea-change and essentially trashed what had been, for a long time, a golden goose for AA/UA and later, DL.

The NYC transcons still draw strong premium yields as compared to the rest of the domestic system but it's not like the pre-B6 days. In some respects, the UA move to EWR is more justifiable now, and I know DL is clamoring to tear down the perimeter fence at LGA. I'm sure AA wouldn't hesitate to convert some Eagle slots to LAX/SFO service, either.
cerealmarketer likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:13 pm

Here's what Delta is serving for lunch on premium transcons...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...&postcount=541

UA - don't get ideas
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Here's what Delta is serving for lunch on premium transcons...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...&postcount=541

UA - don't get ideas
"Build your own" implies that you have a choice of 10 things for all kinds of custom options. Not a BLT that is just not put together...so you literally have to build a normal BLT yourself.

Imagine going to a BYO omelette station and it was just a frying pan and eggs.
cerealmarketer likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
"Build your own" implies that you have a choice of 10 things for all kinds of custom options. Not a BLT that is just not put together...so you literally have to build a normal BLT yourself.

Imagine going to a BYO omelette station and it was just a frying pan and eggs.
LOL yeah that's some creative marketing. "We can't put the lettuce and tomato on beforehand because it can't be heated with the sandwich, so we'll put it on the side and advertise it as a feature."
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Gold
I wonder if they'll remember to serve a meal to the E+ parts of rows 39 & 40 on the 772. I recently booked SFO-EWR in row 40 for the bassinet and my confirmation shows no meal.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by choatie88
I wonder if they'll remember to serve a meal to the E+ parts of rows 39 & 40 on the 772. I recently booked SFO-EWR in row 40 for the bassinet and my confirmation shows no meal.
I don’t think economy confirmations (E+) have ever shown meals despite E+ getting it on PS routes?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by choatie88
O they do alright, and it’s super awkward for the passengers and FAs alike. “A kind bar for you, but not for you!”

They really neeed to be catering the entire Y section, it’s getting to be ridiculous for all onboard.
EWR764 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.