Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does UA rank/track customer interactions? Can you complain too much? Agent shopping?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does UA rank/track customer interactions? Can you complain too much? Agent shopping?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
We could start documenting a list but it's fairly obvious:
- Selling miles/upgrades etc.
- Buying mile/upgrades
- Complaining too much or fraudulently.
- Hacking/tricking the website or app to get better pricing.
- Hidden City ticketing.
- Bad behavior onboard.
What else?

I don't think UA really knows enough of the details to report to IRS?
I remember a story of someone who legitimately used miles to book for a friend or family member. Then on the return from Australia, UA cancelled the ticket and I thought closed the account. Then there were issues trying to get in contact with the right person at UA. My memory could be off on the specifics and whether or not it came from this thread, however, it is something non-obvious that I keep in mind when I book award flights for others.

People have actually gotten their accounts closed for hidden city ticketing and complaining too much? (fraudulently is a different story). There was a time I complained every single time WIFI wasnt working hoping it would bring it to their attention. I've complained about the J food on every intl flight lately.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eng3
I've complained about the J food on every intl flight lately.
Based on the flights I've taken recently, and the meals I've been eating on the international itineraries, I don't think your strategy is working. The message does not seem to be getting through.

But I see your wider point, which is that you shouldn't really make too much noise about the little things. I think after a while you get flagged as a pain of a customer who takes up too much CS bandwidth.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Based on the flights I've taken recently, and the meals I've been eating on the international itineraries, I don't think your strategy is working. The message does not seem to be getting through.

But I see your wider point, which is that you shouldn't really make too much noise about the little things. I think after a while you get flagged as a pain of a customer who takes up too much CS bandwidth.
I do wonder about that sometimes. Though being flagged as a "pain of a customer" is a far cry from having your account closed. Has that actually happened before?
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:16 pm
Suspended

I do wonder about that sometimes. Though being flagged as a "pain of a customer" is a far cry from having your account closed. Has that actually happened before?
I don't know whether it was UA or AA (or maybe a completely different airline) but there was a thread here a few years ago about someone who had his account shut down for allegedly doing nothing. Then as the story came out he complained about every little thing (meals, FAs, seats, scheduling, MX delays, not getting hotel rooms, wife wasn't upgraded, etc), all the time, to the point where they threw him off the bus. There was a lot of complaining about the injustice of it all, as you can imagine.

Unfortunately my search skills are not remotely good enough to find this story.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
If you aren't using abusive language or making threats - trolling - or spamming them - you and anyone else has nothing to worry about. I'm sure they have plenty of fliers who complain all the time.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't know whether it was UA or AA (or maybe a completely different airline) but there was a thread here a few years ago about someone who had his account shut down for allegedly doing nothing. Then as the story came out he complained about every little thing (meals, FAs, seats, scheduling, MX delays, not getting hotel rooms, wife wasn't upgraded, etc), all the time, to the point where they threw him off the bus. There was a lot of complaining about the injustice of it all, as you can imagine.

Unfortunately my search skills are not remotely good enough to find this story.
Actually, I remember a NW case that went to court.
https://thepointsguy.com/2014/04/us-...requent-flyers
He filed 24 complaints over about 6 months – and nine of those were about baggage that showed up late on airport baggage carousels – not missing, not late as in days, just later than he expected as an elite, it sounds like. Not only that, but the airline awarded him nearly $2,000 in vouchers, gave him nearly 80,000 bonus frequent flyer miles, and almost $500 in cash reimbursements
I've never filed that many complaints in that short of time, but I've gotten $2000 in vouchers in a 12mo period before. (not anymore ofcourse). I seem to recall NW or delta actually had a program where they gave you miles if your bag arrived late. Not sure if that coincided with this guy's complaints. It also cites "intentionally booking himself on full flights in the hopes of getting lucrative bump opportunities", not sure what rule is being broken by booking onto full flights in hopes of IDB or how would would even be able to prove it

So I guess it has happened. I just don't recall a report from UA which is why I was questioning the list from the other reply

Last edited by eng3; Jan 28, 2022 at 3:45 pm
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Actually, I remember a NW case that went to court.
https://thepointsguy.com/2014/04/us-...requent-flyers
Though it also cites "intentionally booking himself on full flights in the hopes of getting lucrative bump opportunities", not sure what rule is being broken by booking onto full flights in hopes of IDB or how would would even be able to prove it

So I guess it has happened. I just don't recall a report from UA which is why I was questioning the list from the other reply
That wasn't the story I recall (at least I don't think so), but the behavior was broadly similar. I have a nagging feeling it was AA, maybe I'll try and search for it.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:06 pm

Passenger profiles and agent comments for future bookings

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if United has a way to add comments about a passenger that would alert staff on future travel? My reason for asking is that I got into an argument at the airport regarding my pet in-cabin debating her size. The check-in agent’s manager eventually came over and let us proceed with check in with our pet and I confirmed no remarks were added on our reservation.
I guess I am just concerned that she could have spitefully added a comment or remark on our passenger profile for future reservations with United, although the frequent flyer number on the flight was attached to Air Canada’s number, not MileagePlus. Perhaps by name and DOB…
Maybe I’m paranoid, but do we know if any sort of passenger commenting mechanism exists on passengers, outside of a reservation? The argument was heated but not unruly, but who knows… she could have made a note about us and/or our pet for future bookings.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I was a UA Reservations Sales Representative (RSR) at SFORR from 1985-87, and back then the only information a line RSR had access to was in the passenger name record (PNR) for the itinerary identified by a particular record locator (confirmation number).

The remarks (REM) field was sometimes interesting reading, but again, that is only for one trip.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
I was business analyst for United for sometime and saw my position off-shored to India as a result of COVID.

United tracks everything, they record everything. United uses Palantir's Foundry system for their data analytics and data sets in there are massive. I had access to only some of the data, and the data I had access to spanned decades and well in to the 10s of millions of lines of data recording every possible metric and that was a single data set. I didn't have a lot of access to FF data as it wasn't related to my job, but what I saw was huge. United pays Palantir to provide reps on site at Willis to assist in designing whatever data analysis tools the employee needs

They record all the posts on here, every twitter mention, if they can tag it with your MP number it's recorded. Even if you don't add your MP number, they will track by billing address anything.

Make a complaint about something that happens in the airport, high resolution pictures and video are in customer care's hands by the end of the day.
Now what they do with all that data is another story, but does it exist absolutely.

Last edited by colpuck; Apr 1, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by colpuck
I was business analyst for United for sometime and saw my position off-shored to India as a result of COVID.

United tracks everything, they record everything. United uses Palantir's Foundry system for their data analytics and data sets in there are massive. I had access to only some of the data, and the data I had access to spanned decades and well in to the 10s of millions of lines of data recording every possible metric and that was single data set. I didn't have a lot of access to FF data as it wasn't related to my job, but what I saw was huge. United pays Palantir to provide reps on site at Willis to assist in designing whatever data analysis tools the employee needs

They record all the posts on here, every twitter mention, if they can tag it with your MP number it's recorded. Even if you don't add your MP number, they will track by billing address anything.

Make a complaint about something that happens in the airport, high resolution pictures and video are in customer care's hands by the end of the day.
Now what they do with all that data is another story, but does it exist absolutely.
This makes sense to me. In every business I have ever worked in we wanted to understand the "problem" clients (internal and external), the prima donnas, the easy going clients, the clients willing to pay for premium services, the clients who always wanted a discount. Your customers are the lifeblood for every business. To not maintain records would be idiotic.

As someone else upthread stated, pick your battles. I however, also think recognition should be given to employees who provide exemplary service. I provide both constructive and positive feedback, not just to UA.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I hope they coded “DYKWIA” as a “customer type.”
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
As someone else upthread stated, pick your battles. I however, also think recognition should be given to employees who provide exemplary service. I provide both constructive and positive feedback, not just to UA.
Even when I register a complaint with UA, I make sure that I highlight what went right on the particular flight I was commenting on. To this day, I use 1KVoice to compliment employees deserving of recognition, even though I'm no longer 1K. I always get a thank you in response.
denver19 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:04 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by colpuck

United tracks everything, they record everything. United uses Palantir's Foundry system for their data analytics and data sets in there are massive. I had access to only some of the data, and the data I had access to spanned decades and well in to the 10s of millions of lines of data recording every possible metric and that was a single data set. I didn't have a lot of access to FF data as it wasn't related to my job, but what I saw was huge. United pays Palantir to provide reps on site at Willis to assist in designing whatever data analysis tools the employee needs

This is an April Fools joke to the max! Cmon people!
tryathlete likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
This is an April Fools joke to the max! Cmon people!
Signs point to no ....

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...nited-Airlines
https://careers.united.com/job/15363...ivery-chicago/
https://careers.united.com/job/14950...ytics-chicago/
lincolnjkc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.