Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does UA rank/track customer interactions? Can you complain too much? Agent shopping?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does UA rank/track customer interactions? Can you complain too much? Agent shopping?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
1K for 10 years here and I can attest to what OP wrote. Happened dozens of times to me. I am dairy intolerant and often found UA's F meals are swimming in dairy products. Still are.
Yup. That was part of my issue today. That butternut squash manicotti.. Ugh. Two rolls of pasta filled with sickeningly sweet cinnamon flavored squash floating in a curdled cream soup "sauce". Truly the low point in FC meals IMHO. I don't know why they can't go more pedestrian. I guess they're trying to be more "upscale" - but forgetting the rest of the service should at least try to match.

I expect lowered general quality - it's been United's trademark since 2012, and they clearly don't care. But the surly, bitter employees who see customers as nothing but a problem are the biggest albatross around United's neck right now, and I don't see a thing being done to fix it.

I really don't complain that much. And I do compliment. But I almost feel people should have more of a line - and I think personal rude treatment is over that line.

Also, I remember when 1KVoice would almost always give you a phone call the next day. Been a while since that happened.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:06 pm

I've written about various things and often note I'm not looking for compensation. Power not working, wifi not working and things like that. The only one I followed up because i definitely wanted comp was when the FA spilled water on my laptop. She gave me a card with a code (different than the customer appreciation cards), and I filled it all out but the buggy website wouldn't take the last step so I emailed a picture to GSvoice or whatever it is. After 2 weeks I hadn't heard back so I sent a follow up and they responded saying the other dept was looking into it. Then they gave me an option for a cert or to send repair receipts for reimbursement. I fly way less today then I did when I was a 1k so I feel like I have less issues...but when I do, it's usually on a $5000+ ticket so I'm guessing that's why they seem to respond with comp even when i say I don't want any.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Just shows there's some subjectivity involved in determining what's complaint worthy.

I encounter lazy, inattentive service with enough frequency (not just UA), that it's not going to hit the "complain" level for me. (And I don't really buy the whole "flight attendants are here primarily for your safety" line. If that were true, the airlines would impose fitness requirements, and obviously they do not. I pretty much assume that if stuff goes bad, it will be up to me to get my butt off the aircraft.)
Agree there's subjectivity - however, lazy, inattentive service is one thing. Sleeping on the job is a whole other level to me.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
IMO, the OP shouldn't be in any danger.

The only thing I'll add is that if the aim is to improve things for pax, perhaps ask 1K Voice to confirm that the FA 'wrote up' the issue(s) that you brought to their attention. Most appropriate for mechanical problems.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:39 am
PPM

As a 1K for over 20 years, I think using the 1K Voice is the only option to report service shortcomings regardless of compensation. I never ask for compensation, but would absolutely report surly service, and do so routinely. I also have reported the inability to use GPUs on any flights at the time of booking when business class seat maps show only 1-2 sold seats. I send this email several times a year when I've searched inventory for a 2-week period with no availability for upgrades. I have also accompanied this complaint by potential strategies, that include not offering upgrades that can't be used. Instead, offer 1Ks the ability to change tickets without change fees--or something else that is less disingenuous than RPUs and GPUs that are applied only after everyone on the flight has been offered a TOD upgrade offer that they've refused. I've basically suggested that they not offer something that frustrates so many people because it can't be used. I get some sort of letter each time ranging from a form letter that refers me to United's upgrade policies or from a human who says that my letter will be forwarded to senior management officials.

I have complained about wheelchair accessibility and wait time, special meals not being boarded, "running out" of a wine in global first on a return from China because enough wasn't boarded on the trip in from the US. (In fact, there was NONE of the wine--it had all been consumed inbound). Pelligrino is also in short supply in premium cabins--every international flight I've taken has rationed the Pelligrino and/or run out of it during a single 8-hour trip.

Most of my travel is international now, and there are so many options that provide superior service compared to United. On a recent 1K complaint, I told them that the inability to use GPUs that were about to expire meant that I was going to allocate my remaining $53,000 in business class trips for 2017 to other Star Alliance partners rather than to United. I am already 1K for next year and will easily log 200,000 with turning to other carriers for most of my remaining travel. I got a letter congratulating me for already earning 1K status for 2018, and apologizing that they could not do anything about the upgrade unavailability that prompted my letter.

I am also 2MM flyer, and this carries even less weight than 1K now.

What a difference from the times that 1K status actually meant something and was valued by United. That is clearly not the case now.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PPM
As a 1K for over 20 years, I think using the 1K Voice is the only option to report service shortcomings regardless of compensation. I never ask for compensation, but would absolutely report surly service, and do so routinely. I also have reported the inability to use GPUs on any flights at the time of booking when business class seat maps show only 1-2 sold seats.

What a difference from the times that 1K status actually meant something and was valued by United. That is clearly not the case now.
I was 1K for 5 years, and reported surly service every time I encountered it, and didn't ask for compensation when doing so. I also reported exemplary service when warranted, and as a result, I never got the feeling I was complaining too much.

Ah, for the days when 1K meant something.....
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by steaminer
Agree there's subjectivity - however, lazy, inattentive service is one thing. Sleeping on the job is a whole other level to me.
I hear what you're saying, but honestly I'd much rather having a sleeping FA than loud, chatty ones.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
In my experience, compliments usually go much farther than complaints...
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
It's sad when customers worry about offending the company.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
In my experience, compliments usually go much farther than complaints...
Care to elaborate?

In my experience complaints always result in some concrete gesture (eg. ETC), while compliments get a vague response, if they are acknowledged at all.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by n9536j
It's sad when customers worry about offending the company.
You don't want to be labeled a complainer in any frequent traveler program.

I think the UA threshold is reasonably high. I had a period when I was complaining to 1kvoice pretty frequently (bad old days) and it doesn't seem to have had any adverse impact.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Like some of you I have had some not great experiences with United the last couple of years and contacted UA and have chosen to fly other airlines but will make 1K again for 2018.

However, this past week I was on United flights and service was exemplary so I sent three seperate compliments (before I saw this post) about the staff members for each experience. I had never thought that too many complaints would be flagged, just like I do not expect compliments to be tracked. I certainly do not expect compensation (unless warranted, of course).

The great service has me considering more of my business going back to United as service has been increasing and GPUs are coming through (after a drought). Reasons I choose to fly UA. However, the other airlines have also done a great job and I have more flights scheduled with the other airlines.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
You don't want to be labeled a complainer in any frequent traveler program.
In fact - you don't want to be labeled as a trouble maker in anywhere, not just UA or any other FFPs.

Customers are not always right. Legitimate or not - when you complain too much, the business may lose all patience entertaining the complaint and simply let you go.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:44 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I complain about 5 times a year, on average. Usually for issues where I feel that compensation should've been offered, like malfunctioning wifi on a dark plane, or large (2h+) delays. However, I also write in with positive feedback every now and then, such as when I experience a great crew, so hopefully that balances out.

I never ask for compensation though. So far, all but one have been resolved to my satisfaction (UA offering miles or ETC, with an apology that feels like it wasn't completely constructed from pre-written paragraphs).
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by itsMoe
I never ask for compensation though.
It's my understanding that the new on-board system that is currently rolling out doesn't allow compensation to be declined..... I can't think of an on-board issue that I would prefer to sort out after the fact with the new system; particularly as the issue concerned is automatically documented. I believe the new system is supposed to be connected to maintenance etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.