Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does UA rank/track customer interactions? Can you complain too much? Agent shopping?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does UA rank/track customer interactions? Can you complain too much? Agent shopping?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Yes, but it's a binary system. GS 1 everyone else zero.
I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that some of us have a negative number score!
Kannai likes this.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Does UA rank/track customer interactions?

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what all kind of information they get to see on our profiles? Do we get our own "uber"-style rating? I always try to be courteous with the staff on the phone, but admit I do often call to switch flights when there are changes in schedule (all in policy). As I book flights 6mths+ ahead these happen quite often.

I also wonder if they run customer profitability analyses and assign us scores or something? I do fly transcon and intercontinental business quite a bit, but almost all of it on cheap-ish P fares, or GPUs.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Yes

Some years ago, I read on here that a frequent flyer was either warned or dropped for excessive complaints. If he didn't have what he thought was a perfect flight, he wrote in to Customer Service. Something as simple as the nuts not being warned enough.

i was told by a CSR that I had a good record. When I asked her to explain so sharedthat my record indicated that I write in to compliment staff.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Complaining to 1KVoice too much?

Sorry if there's a better existing thread for this.. Is there a chance United flags people for complaining to 1KVoice too much?

I've had a string of bad experiences in domestic first. I wrote 1K voice after the first two and just had a third.
First I had a FA who did absolutely nothing but play on her phone. She fell asleep for a good 15 minutes. Couldn't get her attention to save our lives. Commented and got 8000 miles for that.

Last week as one of only two 1K's on the plane and no globals, sitting in 1B, second to be served, I was brought the wrong meal order (I can't eat salmon) and mentioned it was wrong immediately before anyone else was served. FA told me "well my orders are all in so you can have that or have nothing. I wrote it down wrong I've had a long day and don't have time to change it up." Mentioned 1K meal priority and she said "not today honey." Got a $250 EC for that.

Today in 1A both of the meal options were no good for me - salmon (again) and the vile butternut squash manicotti. Said neither sounds good but politely asked for something from the back, and FA simply said "No, that's for Economy only, you should know that!" and ignored me the rest of the flight - didn't even bring me nuts or a drink until I hit the call button - but was sure to yell at me when my seat was 2cm reclined by accident on approach.

I'm well aware that United's service has gone to the dogs in domestic first, but I'm hesitant to complain again. I'm not really looking for compensation - I want to record my vote that their service is sub-par in hopes that someone's listening and will start taking some efforts to improve domestic F, but fear 1KVoice will label me a "problem customer"... I've also complemented many times and given good feedback, FWIW.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
You certainly can complain too much, but if the complaint is reasonable, keep on doing it. It's the only way things will get better in the future.

I'd make it clear that you are not looking for compensation, only to provide much needed feedback
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I write 1k voice 4-5 times a year. My letters are never angry. In fact, they are quite friendly. I only write if the issue concerns hefty delays or malfunctioning equipment. I don't write in about poor service. Truth is, I don't think I've ever experienced poor service.

Have I been flagged? I don't know. But UA has been good to me, and they are always responsive.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Earlier this year I had a string of absolutely abysmal experiences on PS (one non-reclining E+ seat on a redeye, a series of IFE/WiFi fails, and 2h+ delays). At one point I think I made it four months without a single PS flight arriving within 45 mins of schedule.

I sent two consolidated emails about delays (one after the first couple, another at the end of a busy period of flying), and a couple more about independent more one-off issues (ex. IFE). Was always polite, in many cases said didn't want comp but did want the problem solved. Received comp of some sort for them all in a prompt reply. If the issues are legitimate and make it harder for you to justify flying UA in future, I would always write in.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You can definitely complain too much, but it sounds to me like your experiences 2 and 3 were complaint appropriate (#1, not so much).

If you're worried about being labeled a complainer, make clear when you write that you are not asking for compensation but simply are hopeful for improved service on your future flights.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Of course UA, like all customer-facing businesses maintains its CRM to identify people who can't be pleased. Such people drag businesses down and it makes no sense to try to retain them as customers because no matter what you do, they won't be happy.

That said, if you are concerned about service improvement, write in and make it clear that you aren't looking for a handout.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I am mindful at how much I complain, but if I am treated rudely or if I feel procedures weren't properly followed, I will always write them.

Always write in for lengthy delays, or rude treatment, or reasonable hard product issues such as power not working, wifi/IFE not working, seat not reclining, and so on.

Things that aren't too big of a deal such as a short delay, subpar cabin service, annoyances etc, I tend to just let go and write about it in surveys if I feel the need to.

The issues you describe would be worth a complaint email, in my judgment, particularly as a 1K customer.

I have never seen a FA deny an F class customer something from the back if they didn't care for the entrees. It's a YMMV issue if you ask for something from the back in addition to F meal whether the FA will ask that you pay for it (some do, some don't IME)

One thing I try to do also is send complimentary emails when things go well.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Every single one of those merits a complaint. Especially the falling asleep one -- that's a HUGE safety no-no for FAs. Even commuting jumpseaters aren't allowed to sleep. You should have been offered a box from the back, free of charge, in both meal situations.

Hopefully with the new onboard service app, writing in about things like broken IFE/Wifi, broken seat recline, not enough meals boarded, etc. will be minimized, so that 1K Voice can start hear about the things that have previously been overlooked. Of course, this only works if the FAs working that flight know how to use said app, but still.

A bit OT, but the inflight crews are at a crossroads with the merge being finalized soon. There's some (particularly domestically, but a few international as well) that are just waiting to merge so they can leave. They're surly, overbearing, and have a poor work ethic. They make everyone else's jobs harder, and lead to bad experiences like you've had. Then there's the ones who want to be here and make everything better. I hope we get more of the second in, and get rid of the first fast.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You can definitely complain too much, but it sounds to me like your experiences 2 and 3 were complaint appropriate (#1 , not so much).
I'd actually think complaints 1 and 2 deserve merit, and #3 not so much - #1 seems to be a blatant safety issue if the FA actually fell asleep.

#3 - the only complaint there would be that you couldn't get something from the back, though I'm not sure if that's actually policy to allow that, or something that's logical and generally accepted practice. It's not like they didn't offer you the food that was served in F, and snappy attitudes from FAs, while bad form, probably aren't compensation worthy.

I do agree that you should frame these as not asking for compensation though - only when you're overly needy for compensation should you worry about being flagged
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by steaminer
I'd actually think complaints 1 and 2 deserve merit, and #3 not so much - #1 seems to be a blatant safety issue if the FA actually fell asleep.
Just shows there's some subjectivity involved in determining what's complaint worthy.

I encounter lazy, inattentive service with enough frequency (not just UA), that it's not going to hit the "complain" level for me. (And I don't really buy the whole "flight attendants are here primarily for your safety" line. If that were true, the airlines would impose fitness requirements, and obviously they do not. I pretty much assume that if stuff goes bad, it will be up to me to get my butt off the aircraft.)
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
I never go asking for compensation or mention it. And the first one to me was a bit of a safety violation, although I think the "we're primarily here for your safety" is really just a cop-out to excuse bad service.

The FA today with the snippy attitude at meal service was big on the "we're here for your safety" and said it several times. I haven't taken notes but I'd bet there's a correlation with the employees that keep touting that and then give sub-par service.

I dont think today was egregious with the meal service - I just think United can do much better than talking to 1Ks (or anyone) like a condescending schoolmarm.

I'll probably hold off on this one for 1KVoice to keep some powder dry, but will be honest in the survey.

Originally Posted by zrs70
I don't write in about poor service. Truth is, I don't think I've ever experienced poor service.
....But UA has been good to me, and they are always responsive.
I honestly find this utterly shocking. Never? Always treated you well? Maybe I need to dress better. I prefer United by far, but it's far, far, FAR from perfect. I'd say 60% of the time it's "fine", 10% of the time it's "great", and the remaining third or so is somewhere between mediocre and beyond the pale.

As always, the most consistent thing about United is consistent inconsistency.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by demkr

I have never seen a FA deny an F class customer something from the back if they didn't care for the entrees. It's a YMMV issue if you ask for something from the back in addition to F meal whether the FA will ask that you pay for it (some do, some don't IME.
1K for 10 years here and I can attest to what OP wrote. Happened dozens of times to me. I am dairy intolerant and often found UA's F meals are swimming in dairy products. Still are. Pretty soon after UA became what I can only describe as CO dba UA, I was told many times that I would have to **PAY** if I wanted something from the back. Handed my CC to the lovely 'flight service coordinator' that happily swiped my card for a Thai chicken salad or what have you.

During this same time period (2012-2015), I began to notice that all responses from 1K voice were signed 'Corporate Customer Care.' What exactly does 'corporate' have to do with 1K, I wondered?? A definite deterioration of 1K Voice once all these responses began getting coordinated out of the fake corporate headquarters in Houston that used to be Continental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.