Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Kirby says passengers choose price over seat pitch

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kirby says passengers choose price over seat pitch

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
No, it's really not different. The difference between Y and Y+ is a few inches of legroom. Every passenger in Y- who doesn't pay the $30-$100 for Y+ has indicated they prefer to keep the money in their pocket and have less seat pitch.
E+ is an add on, unless you are elite, Y- to Y-- to get a cheaper fare is what we are discussing and what Kirby is referring to. I am not referring to E+, has nothing to do with "voting" for less legroom to get a cheaper fare.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Comparing E+ and a hefty price differential is not a fair comparison though. Perhaps someone isn't willing to pay $100 more but if all else was equal and they knew that they'd get a more comfortable seat for $10 more (3-3-3 versus 3-4-3 or 32 inches instead of 30), many more might pay. I don't know for sure, but that hasn't been tested.
The cost and opportunity difference for the airline between 3-3-3 and 3-4-3 and 32" and 30" is significant, which is why the pricing difference between Y and Y+/PY products is so great.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Originally Posted by fly18725
The difference is clearly available. The fact that Jetblue's yields are among the lowest (non-ULCC) confirms that - as a whole - passengers will not pay more for a better hard product.
This may be where I disagree - I believe the difference is hard to discern for the average buyer. Take for example NYC-LAX looking at UA and B6, July 5-9. I realize this is one specific example but it may help illustrate my point.

Both flights leave around the same time, both flights are $585+/- and yet the E experience on each flight will be very different. 757 vs A321, 17in width vs 18in, 31in pitch vs 33in.

The average purchaser isn't knowledgeable enough to know the difference. All else being equal, were a consumer provided with the relevant 'comfort' details why would they choose the less comfortable trip?

I don't think airlines or OTAs are necessarily 'hiding' this info, its more that it's too subtle in how it's surfaced - as someone else referenced earlier.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
Agreed, I tend to think that is a function of transparency though. My point above was to say, all other things being equal (price, schedule etc), were a customer given the option between a 17in seat with 30 in pitch and an 18in seat with 32in pitch, they'd buy the more comfortable option.

Unfortunately, this comfort info is opaque at best and hard to discern at the point of booking. Hence, yes, customers are driven by the most important factor - price.
IMO, there are a very limited number of customers who will do this research, even if the numbers are right in front of them. There are some that will specifically buy the one with a wider seat and more legroom for the same price, or even at a premium. But as a whole, flyers won't. It's why MRTC didn't work for AA, and why B6 reduced legroom in the end. It just doesn't fit the US mass market (and IME, other markets are different - this kind of value would probably have enough mass appeal in a lot of areas in asia, for example).

Price is king for most here, and while many on FT have other things that we prioritize as much or more than simply price, it doesnt extend to most of the US market - even with some employers. I don't think it's a secret that AA, UA and DL offer a better product than Spirit, Allegiant and Frontier, including more pitch, yet the ULCCs are expanding because they can fill their planes. Why? Because their upfront prices are lower (forget about the fact that in the end, it's often more, but it's the price upfront that is going to get the majority to buy).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
And for every person who chose not to spend the $30-$100 more for Y+, that is a clear vote that they prefer less pitch and a cheaper fare.
+1. IMHO there should be 2 classes in economy: Y+ for people who are prepare to pay a bit more and Y- for people who just want cheaper ticket.

Y-: No seat assignment or any sort of mileage benefits. Expensive change fees (or no changes) to make it unattractive for business travel. No free upgrades to Y+ or F for elites on Y- tickets.

Y+: More seat pitch, reasonable change fees, mileage benefits, seat assignments and upgrades to F for elites.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AntonS
+1. IMHO there should be 2 classes in economy: Y+ for people who are prepare to pay a bit more and Y- for people who just want cheaper ticket.

Y-: No seat assignment or any sort of mileage benefits. Expensive change fees (or no changes) to make it unattractive for business travel. No free upgrades to Y+ or F for elites on Y- tickets.

Y+: More seat pitch, reasonable change fees, mileage benefits, seat assignments and upgrades to F for elites.
To the above I'd add Y-: 10 across seating. Y+: 9 across seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.