FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Least Likely Hub-Hub CPU? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1844984-least-likely-hub-hub-cpu.html)

fumje May 28, 17 12:30 pm

Least Likely Hub-Hub CPU?

What's the most difficult hub-hub CPU? Domestic hubs are SFO, LAX, DEN, IAH, ORD, IAD, EWR. (EWR/LAX,SFO is not CPU-eligible.)

There are several pairings I never/rarely fly, but based on my experiences I suspect IAH/EWR or SFO/DEN are the most challenging.

What do you think is the most difficult hub pair for clearing a CPU?

iapetus May 28, 17 12:33 pm

My bias skews pretty heavily towards ex-LAX flights, as they're the ones I know best. But my vote would probably be for something like SFO-IAD. SFO has to be part of the correct answer!

endrond May 28, 17 12:46 pm

I fly SFO-IAD, SFO-ORD, and SFO-DEN regularly.

Of those, SFO-IAD is by far the hardest to clear. As a 1K traveling on advance purchase fares, I can't even clear a RPU, and typically I'm several spots down from the top of the upgrade list in the gate area.

NoLaGent May 28, 17 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by endrond (Post 28370784)

Of those, SFO-IAD is by far the hardest to clear. As a 1K traveling on advance purchase fares, I can't even clear a RPU, and typically I'm several spots down from the top of the upgrade list in the gate area.

Agreed, followed closely by IAH & ORD.

Starman May 28, 17 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by endrond (Post 28370784)

+1. I've seen 100 pax on the upgrade waitlist for sfo-iad. Even took a screen shot once, it was so absurd.

mahasamatman May 28, 17 1:19 pm

SFO-anywhere.

segiddins May 28, 17 1:19 pm

SFO-ORD on UA995 can routinely be 75+ people on the upgrade list. It's a 4 hour redeye.

FlyfromDenver May 28, 17 2:05 pm

IAH-DEN - there are been late Friday afternoon flights that the whole plane is group 1 or 2 and not talking RJs.

Miles Ahead May 28, 17 4:02 pm

Another vote for SFO-IAD. When a 1K I was once #51 on the upgrade list. Fare basis was H.

euslaner May 28, 17 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead (Post 28371501)
Another vote for SFO-IAD. When a 1K I was once #51 on the upgrade list. Fare basis was H.

I am flying IAD-SFO in September. Wanted to make sure that I flew upfront. So I bought a C ticket.

eng3 May 28, 17 4:21 pm

anything to SFO? PHL-SFO is pretty tough since they fly A319s

mahasamatman May 28, 17 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by eng3 (Post 28371581)
anything to SFO? PHL-SFO is pretty tough since they fly A319s

I find the other way around is even harder. I usually clear YVR-SFO, but never clear SFO-YVR. (Though neither PHL nor YVR is a hub, so this is a bit off-topic.)

PushingTin May 28, 17 5:01 pm

DEN-EWR I can't get GPUs to clear on the weekends. CPUs, forget about it.

Flying Machine May 28, 17 9:36 pm

My Experience EX SF0 is the most difficult, except SF0-LAX on the late evening flight :) I have a good % clearing those..

Ocn Vw 1K May 28, 17 9:39 pm

SFO to LAX on many Tuesday morning 7am flights and return to SFO on many Thursday 5 - 6:30 p.m. flights. You have to not only be at least 1K, but on a high fare class to have a shot; and hope for a 738 or 739, to boot.