Least Likely Hub-Hub CPU?

Old May 28, 17, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I find the other way around is even harder. I usually clear YVR-SFO, but never clear SFO-YVR. (Though neither PHL nor YVR is a hub, so this is a bit off-topic.)
Makes sense, I thought UA at one point said that SFO has the most 1K's (and I assume GS's)
Old May 28, 17, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I don't think I've cleared a hub to hub CPU aside from IAD-ORD for several years. SFO-IAD and v-v are brutal, even for GPU/RPU use. Cleared at T-12 on IAD-SFO with a GPU for Wednesday travel the last time I hadn't outright bought F, and at that, the night before, it looked likely to fail.
Old May 29, 17, 12:15 am

My fiancee cleared the 10 PM ORD-SFO this past Friday night. She's a Silver on a V fare.
Old May 29, 17, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sincx View Post
My fiancee cleared the 10 PM ORD-SFO this past Friday night. She's a Silver on a V fare.
Ww.

But just goes to show, it's all about timing. Perhaps more so than route.
Old May 29, 17, 5:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by euslaner View Post
I am flying IAD-SFO in September. Wanted to make sure that I flew upfront. So I bought a C ticket.
These days I buy a discount P or A fare on my Dulles to San Francisco round-trips. During my last year as a 1K, I couldn't get an upgrade using a GPU or an RPU, so when I dropped to platinum, I gave up all hope of ever getting a CPU again.
Old May 29, 17, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
As a Gold, I managed to clear DEN-SFO...48 hours before departure. I really should have purchased a lottery ticket after that.
Old May 29, 17, 10:44 am

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Depending on the aircraft and equipment but...

It is safe to say all the 8-seat A319, 12-seat A320, 12-seat 737 are in the 'forget about CPU/RPU' categories in hub-to-hub. If you are fortunate enough to be in one of those high density 777-200s, then at least you have a shot.

Think about the A319 in IAD-SFO, DEN-SFO, SFO-SEA on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, or Sundays? I'd just not even look at the upgrade standby list. That may actually make me feel better to just secure the bulkheads or exits on A319/A320 PMUA, as those are really comfortable seats.
Old May 29, 17, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky View Post
It is safe to say all the 8-seat A319, 12-seat A320, 12-seat 737 are in the 'forget about CPU/RPU' categories in hub-to-hub. If you are fortunate enough to be in one of those high density 777-200s, then at least you have a shot.

Think about the A319 in IAD-SFO, DEN-SFO, SFO-SEA on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, or Sundays? I'd just not even look at the upgrade standby list. That may actually make me feel better to just secure the bulkheads or exits on A319/A320 PMUA, as those are really comfortable seats.
You have a shot on the HD 772? It has a slightly lower F/Y ratio than the A320.
Old May 29, 17, 8:50 pm

My theory is that the HD aircraft sell more discount Y seats, resulting in a lower elite mix than your average narrowbody. Also the INTL configured ones generally sell F at a premium, which moves price-conscious paid F travelers to other aircraft as well.
Old May 29, 17, 8:54 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
What's a CPU?

I vaguely recall getting one... maybe 3 or 4 years ago...

( = sarcasm)

Last edited by Phil Level; May 29, 17 at 9:08 pm
Old May 29, 17, 9:00 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Complimentary Premier Upgrade. Available to elites on, e.g., most N. American routes on any published revenue fare (and in some cases on award travel), except for Basic Economy fares.
Old May 29, 17, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by afrozenfyre View Post
My theory is that the HD aircraft sell more discount Y seats, resulting in a lower elite mix than your average narrowbody. Also the INTL configured ones generally sell F at a premium, which moves price-conscious paid F travelers to other aircraft as well.
Definitely agree. I haven't cleared an A319 ever, but regularly see half a dozen cleared on evening ORD-SFOs in the 772. Particularly common when you get swapped to a 32F Barcalounger 772 and the 4 seats only open at T-1h, meaning they go to listed people and not ToDers.
Old May 29, 17, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
You have a shot on the HD 772? It has a slightly lower F/Y ratio than the A320.
This. I regularly see 77G lists approaching 100. The 3-class 777s on IAD-SFO were at least a better bet for having 48 premium seats. But either way I wouldn't gamble on a route like that.
Old May 30, 17, 6:48 am

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead View Post
Another vote for SFO-IAD. When a 1K I was once #51 on the upgrade list. Fare basis was H.
You probably need B, M, E, U, and H to at least have a shot in the narrowbodies. #51 on H is pretty ridiculous, I hope it has something to do with the previous flights that get canceled, and a lot of rebooked Y pax may be on your flight.

When I get a TPAC tix I'd always try to avoid SFO-IAD/ORD, or DEN-EWR. Those are some of the toughest routes I have seen. SFO-EWR, however, is easier because you know people who are on it will have to pay more for the upgrade(RPU, miles+copay, etc.)
Old May 30, 17, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K
They are all the same in my experience. I've never had a hub to hub CPU clear although I've only been 1k for 2 years (gold for 2 years before that)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: