Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unable to waitlist for upgrades within 24 hours of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to waitlist for upgrades within 24 hours of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: UA GS
YMMV or HUCA?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by cfischer
even with PZ=9 I have struck out recently. So it is a YMMV situation for sure.
How is that possible? You will clear immediately. Did the agent refuse to apply it or did the website break? Because if the agent says no you just do it through the web and you will clear immediately.

There is something missing here. Maybe the connection (through flight #?) wasn't available.

-RM
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
YMMV or HUCA?
HUCA did not help either.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
How is that possible? You will clear immediately. Did the agent refuse to apply it or did the website break? Because if the agent says no you just do it through the web and you will clear immediately.

There is something missing here. Maybe the connection (through flight #?) wasn't available.

-RM
You cannot apply a GPU online within 24 hours.
The connecting flight indeed was not available, but it was not a through flight number. The argument was the entire route needs to be available to use a GPU day of travel. 3 agents said the same thing, did not try a 4th time.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Did the agent refuse to apply it or did the website break? Because if the agent says no you just do it through the web and you will clear immediately.
This functionality was removed from the website years ago.
The argument was the entire route needs to be available to use a GPU day of travel. 3 agents said the same thing, did not try a 4th time.
Well that's a different issue. But they were still wrong.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

The connecting flight indeed was not available, but it was not a through flight number. The argument was the entire route needs to be available to use a GPU day of travel. 3 agents said the same thing, did not try a 4th time.
I called 1K line to claim a FC seat on IAD-SFO about 1 hour before departure when I saw PZ space. The agent got me the seat just before boarding began and I left LH lounge immediately afterward. I did not need to talk to another agent. PZ0 for SFO-SLC for the second segment of this one-way ticket. GPU may work differently, who knows.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
OK, that's news to me. I've never tried within 24 hours though for a flight that was available. The phone agents have always just done it for me.

-RM
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Kmxu

I called 1K line to claim a FC seat on IAD-SFO about 1 hour before departure when I saw PZ space. The agent got me the seat just before boarding began and I left LH lounge immediately afterward. I did not need to talk to another agent. PZ0 for SFO-SLC for the second segment of this one-way ticket. GPU may work differently, who knows.
If you're using an upgrade certificate or miles, that's technically not allowed since you probably jumped the waitlist. There's a thread somewhere here that talks about that rule more. I have had a very hard time convincing an agent to force me in to PZ within 4 hours of departure. Although with the policy that CPUs clear in to PZ and SDC is allowed from PZ to PZ, it's all a little bit broken.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
You can apply a GPU for waitlist within 24 hours but only at the airport!

I’ve done this a few times myself for last minute GPU and RPU requests.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
You can apply a GPU for waitlist within 24 hours but only at the airport!

I’ve done this a few times myself for last minute GPU and RPU requests.
You mean you've found an agent who is willing to do it. It is against the rules, but there is no block in the system that prevents it from being done, either at the airport or by a phone agent.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
This functionality was removed from the website years ago.

Well that's a different issue. But they were still wrong.
For whatever it's worth, I have run into this a couple of times when trying to push a waitlisted upgrade outside 24 hours with PZ>0. The agent says it's not possible because it's a through fare or some other nonsense. I have no idea what memo or system message is given agents that impression. But if you can get the agent to unapply and re-apply (or keep calling to get another agent who will do so), then the PZ>0 segment(s) will clear.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
As others have already responded, if you want to apply an instrument (RPU or GPU) within 24 hours of departure, your best bet is to ask an agent at the airport. I've been most successful asking counter agents at the C74 EWR UC - also helps if you already had a flight/segment with an instrument applied and then doing a SDC to another and asking them to apply an instrument to the SDC flight/segment as well.

David
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
You mean you've found an agent who is willing to do it. It is against the rules, but there is no block in the system that prevents it from being done, either at the airport or by a phone agent.
What rule is this again? I’ve never had an issue doing this at a 1K check in counter or at a gate, and 1K phone agents have instructed me that airport agents are allowed to.

However, the agents at the United Club or airport Customer Service counters have not been able to in my experience.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAflyer93
What rule is this again? I’ve never had an issue doing this at a 1K check in counter or at a gate, and 1K phone agents have instructed me that airport agents are allowed to.
The GPU rules:
New waitlist requests for Global Premier Upgrades can be made until 24 hours prior to departure.
  • New waitlist requests for Global Premier Upgrades will be accepted until 24 hours prior to departure.
  • Waitlisting is permitted. Travelers placed on a waitlist are prioritized according to the Premier status of the traveler. If the request includes multiple travelers, then priority is based on the highest Premier status on the reservation. Waitlists are processed based on Premier status of the traveler, then fare class, then time of request. All waitlists expire 24 hours before trip departure.
and the RPU rules:
New waitlist requests for Regional Premier Upgrades can be made until 24 hours prior to departure.
  • New waitlist requests for Regional Premier Upgrades can be made until 24 hours prior to departure.
  • Waitlisting is permitted. Travelers placed on a waitlist are prioritized according to the Premier status of the traveler. If the request includes multiple travelers, then priority is based on the highest Premier status on the reservation. Waitlists are processed based on Premier status of the traveler, then fare class, then time of request. All waitlists expire 24 hours before trip departure.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:52 am

Correct. I had an agent do it for me once, and I was extremely grateful that she overlooked the rule.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Correct. I had an agent do it for me once, and I was extremely grateful that she overlooked the rule.
Hmmm... whenever I’ve had a phone agent claim they’ve done it, it’s never transferred properly to the airport list.

With one exception....

I once had a phone agent who somehow got in touch with an airport desk to get me on but that was exceptional.

At the airport, however, it’s never been a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.