Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United sued for hard landing?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
So since today was my first time ever throwing up on a domestic United flight due to a poor take-off and poor landing, does that mean I get to sue UA for 85k? Or I should wait 2 years

Really getting sick and tired of these random lawsuits after the Dr's dragging event.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
So since today was my first time ever throwing up on a domestic United flight due to a poor take-off and poor landing, does that mean I get to sue UA for 85k? Or I should wait 2 years

Really getting sick and tired of these random lawsuits after the Dr's dragging event.
Out of curiosity, what constitutes a poor takeoff?
Old May 28, 2017, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Bear96

Under what legal theory?
Common Carrier Strict Liability

Under this theory - UA is liable regardless of faults, as soon as its hard landing resulted the injury claimed.

The problem is - the plaintiff has to claim the nexus between UA's hard landing and the claimed disability.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Baze
Why have they waited 2 years before suing? This has frivolous written all over it. And if it was that hard why hasn't anyone else that was on that flight come forward to sue with "injuries". Can't wait to see the first picture of them lifting something heavy or doing some kind of physical activity. I think they are just trying to jump on the UA is settling bandwagon and cash in. If their injuries were so bad and permanent why are they suing for so little?
The statue of limitations is probably up after 2 years. It's not unusual to wait if there are serious injuries to see how the recovery goes before pursuing a lawsuit like this. Depending on the path the recovery takes, you'll want to include all relevant medical bills plus to understand what kind of long term limitations or pain you will have to endure.

No idea if it's frivolous, but waiting is irrelevant to that question.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Why have they waited 2 years before suing? This has frivolous written all over it.
Simply because a person filed a lawsuit after 2 years, it DOES not make the lawsuit frivolous.

FWIW - the lawsuit can be a result of failed settlement negotiation.

And if it was that hard why hasn't anyone else that was on that flight come forward to sue with "injuries".
Not everyone's experience was the same.

Can't wait to see the first picture of them lifting something heavy or doing some kind of physical activity. I think they are just trying to jump on the UA is settling bandwagon and cash in. If their injuries were so bad and permanent why are they suing for so little?
I believe you have a major misunderstanding about disability.

Disability, in plain language, is an impairment due to illness or injury. Disability does not necessary mean impairment in daily activities per se. For example, if a person has lost his/her pinky, that person is permanently disabled. However, it does not mean that person's life is being affected by the loss of the pinky.

Also - a low demand usually indicates the disability is relatively minor (and yet permanent).

Originally Posted by cmdinnyc
The statue of limitations is probably up after 2 years.
It is exactly the case. Without linking this incident to a contract, the statute of limitation (personal injury) runs out in 2 years. 4 years if linked as a contractual obligation.

Originally Posted by cmdinnyc
It's not unusual to wait if there are serious injuries to see how the recovery goes before pursuing a lawsuit like this.
Also yes - a court of law usually requires a case must be tried within 1 year of the initial filing unless extension is given.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by clubord
Out of curiosity, what constitutes a poor takeoff?
IMO the guy used his rudder left and right at least 8 times. That's horrible.

You should be able to control the wind without using your rudder left and right that many times.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
I just question whether everyone who patronizes a huge corporation, even if frequently enough to earn status, would get thrown off the jury in all cases in which the business is a party.
I don't think there is any broadly applicable rule, but it would definitely raise red flags. During jury selection, I have been asked if I buy the defendant's products, how often, what I think of them, etc., and I have seen people who demonstrate an attachment to the company's products be dismissed.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should be able to control the wind without using your rudder left and right that many times.
Do you have any kind of pilot/commercial pilot training to make that kind of a call?
Old May 28, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum

Ok Maverick
Old May 28, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by cbn42
I don't think there is any broadly applicable rule, but it would definitely raise red flags. During jury selection, I have been asked if I buy the defendant's products, how often, what I think of them, etc., and I have seen people who demonstrate an attachment to the company's products be dismissed.
All true, but the post that I originally responded to had the prospective juror being successfully challenged for cause based solely on answering "yes" to the question "Do you have status on United?" with no further questioning. I'm not a litigator, but that answer, in itself, doesn't sound to me like enough to constitute cause to dismiss. And a prudent attorney might very likely want more information before using up a peremptory on that juror.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:20 pm

Do you have any kind of pilot/commercial pilot training to make that kind of a call?
I don't but I think i've flown enough to be able to judge it. Also I have played FSX for sometime so it helps better understand the situations.

Imagine someone swerving 8 times when going from 0-150mph. Most I've ever felt was 3-4 times using the rudder but this was a SLAM right, SLAM left situation.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
With a very strong and/or gusty crosswind the amount of rudder deflection is constantly changing as you accelerate and the flight controls become more effective.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't but I think i've flown enough to be able to judge it.
That's all we need to know, thanks.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't but I think i've flown enough to be able to judge it. Also I have played FSX for sometime so it helps better understand the situations.

Imagine someone swerving 8 times when going from 0-150mph. Most I've ever felt was 3-4 times using the rudder but this was a SLAM right, SLAM left situation.
Having been at the controls of a real airplane (Cessna, Piper) on many occasions, I can tell you that FSX is nothing like the real thing. You get a feel for these things that a video game cannot give you.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
Every LH flight is a hard landing. Seems like they like to stick it on the runway using autoland.
What? I only experienced a few hundred and they were mostly smooth.

Had a few super rough ones with TG, UA, and NZ though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.