Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easier access to power outlet?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Easier access to power outlet?

Yesterday I was flying back on an A319 in Economy Plus exit row and I noticed that the outlets at the exit row were located on the back of the seat in front of me. As a result access to the outlet was sooo much easier than when the outlet is under your own seat.

I can only wish that this going to be the new location or the outlet under the seat for economy?

When the outlet is under the seat, I often have a tough time trying to plug my cord (i-phone plug or laptop plug) in. Does anyone have some tricks to do it easily?

Thank you
Old May 24, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by FFANA
Yesterday I was flying back on an A319 in Economy Plus exit row and I noticed that the outlets at the exit row were located on the back of the seat in front of me. As a result access to the outlet was sooo much easier than when the outlet is under your own seat.

I can only wish that this going to be the new location or the outlet under the seat for economy?

When the outlet is under the seat, I often have a tough time trying to plug my cord (i-phone plug or laptop plug) in. Does anyone have some tricks to do it easily?

Thank you
I think all the Airbus are like this. The 77HD and 77W as well.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The Airbus retrofits were done very ergonomically. The worst for ergonomics are the sCO B/E Diamond flatbeds, with the audio jack and plug in the worst possible place (behind your head). The next are the 737s, which are super low.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
The best "trick" I have is to keep a travel-sized power strip with you. I plug that into the outlet, and then my charger into it.

The power strip does a great job holding on because it has a grounding pin. I find most phone chargers fall out of the seat socket.

This is the power strip I have - but mostly anything of this size will do.

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/
Old May 26, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
https://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OT.../dp/B000F9YN2M

(original link took off too much of the address)

This one looks intriguing:

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-2-Outl.../dp/B019RGI41E
Old May 26, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
The best "trick" I have is to keep a travel-sized power strip with you. I plug that into the outlet, and then my charger into it.

The power strip does a great job holding on because it has a grounding pin. I find most phone chargers fall out of the seat socket.

This is the power strip I have - but mostly anything of this size will do.

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/
I use my british phone charger for travelling now, it never falls out. Stupidly big, but reliable.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by televisor
I use my british phone charger for travelling now, it never falls out. Stupidly big, but reliable.
This is true. My regular charger often falls out, but if I plug it into my UK plug converter first, that stays in a lot better. Probably because those are used a lot less.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
A related question: when trying to use my Macbook I not only have problems with the charger falling out...I also have trouble getting it to get current. On the UA 737 that I was on this Tuesday, for example, I could only make it work if I carefully pushed it up and to the side with my heel.

My question is: does anyone have a recommendation for an adapter that deals with this problem? I assume that a 3-prong one with thicker flat prongs might work better. But I'm not sure.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by endrond
A related question: when trying to use my Macbook I not only have problems with the charger falling out...I also have trouble getting it to get current. On the UA 737 that I was on this Tuesday, for example, I could only make it work if I carefully pushed it up and to the side with my heel.

My question is: does anyone have a recommendation for an adapter that deals with this problem? I assume that a 3-prong one with thicker flat prongs might work better. But I'm not sure.
I use the cable for my macbook charger when travelling (in place of the 2-prong attachment), so that there's no weight on the socket (it's also much more secure).

But I have a feeling this adapter would also help:
https://tenonedesign.com/blockhead.php
Old May 26, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC

Generally anything with a ground should work. I have a cheap 3 plug block adapter which stays pretty well, most of the time.

The thing which helps when plugging something in is the flashlight on my phone. It's so hard to actually see where the holes are down there!
Old May 26, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC

Originally Posted by televisor
I use the cable for my macbook charger when travelling (in place of the 2-prong attachment), so that there's no weight on the socket (it's also much more secure).

But I have a feeling this adapter would also help:
https://tenonedesign.com/blockhead.php
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-ft-...-017/100672781

Instead of the apple 'extension' cord I use a real one. That way plug the power brick in the single side, and have two outlets available for power chargers. Solves the problem of trying to get the brick to plug into UC desk overhead power outlets, or hard to reach outlets in hotel desks.

I do wish the outlets were in the seat backs in front. A hanger for iPads on seat backs and that would rock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.