Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would Reserved Overhead Space Work?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
This wouldn't work for a couple of reasons...

1. Overhead bin dimensions are inconsistent across platforms and further, sometimes inconsistent with the airline allowance policy. This will lead to passenger complaints on the order of "I reserved this bin, but it doesn't fit!" and the airline will end up having to process a large number of refunds. Adding dynamic sizing requirements to the booking system is A) non-trivial and B) too confusing for the average idiot.

2. GAs are abysmal at enforcing carry-on size requirements and numbers. If an overhead bin has space for three appropriately sized carry-ons, chances are likely one or more people will not be able to fit their luggage into the space they reserved because of the idiot who can't measure. This will require FA intervention and lead to longer boarding times. Airlines can really only make money with quick turns, and this issue would be in conflict with that.

It's a good idea, just very difficult to implement and the odds of it helping more than hurting (from the airline's perspective) are a bit too long.

What might help:
Make checked bags free and charge for carry-ons
Enforce the policies as they currently exist
Old May 24, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The best solution is to allow one free-checked bag per passenger for domestic flights (two pieces for international flight) unless it is Basic Economy fare. This will reduce the number of carryon bags, as travels in Europe do. The boarding time in Europe is typically less than 20 min for narrow body aircraft.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kb9522
This wouldn't work for a couple of reasons...

1. Overhead bin dimensions are inconsistent across platforms and further, sometimes inconsistent with the airline allowance policy. This will lead to passenger complaints on the order of "I reserved this bin, but it doesn't fit!" and the airline will end up having to process a large number of refunds. Adding dynamic sizing requirements to the booking system is A) non-trivial and B) too confusing for the average idiot.
Not to mention, the issues with aircraft swaps, either in advance and last minute.

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The boarding time in Europe is typically less than 20 min for narrow body aircraft.
And I've seen JAL 747 board in 20 minutes.

The amount of stuff brought on board is only 1 of several reasons that boarding is slow here, in general. But there are also times when I've seen UA narrowbodies board in 20 minutes. Not often, but I've definitely seen it.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I'm surprised at the number of people on here who think it's a good idea for United to start charging for carry-on luggage. What are you thinking?

I agree that this all started when they started charging for checked bags. Before that happened, there was always plenty of space.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
What about having a gate check process like the RJ's? They already take strollers and bring them back up. I don't care about having my rollerboard overhead; it's having it go to baggage claim that I want to avoid. If I knew the bag would be there when I deplaned, I'd be one of the last to board.

I'd even be okay if it were GS/1K/FC (which wouldn't always include me), just to free up some space.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by walkerci
It would be very helpful to keep crew bags out of the FC overhead unless they are seated there.
It is not as though the crew are rushing to alight the aeroplane, they are last to leave and whilst not disparaging the hard working crew perhaps their bags should be right at the back, not in F.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Michael D
As more rows and seats per rows are added to planes the overhead space remains constant.

This might be the future.
There are bigger overheads available. The bins that Delta put onto refurbed 757s are huge, and those for 319/320s nearly as large.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:43 pm

While I wouldn't want people to start packing and choosing overhead space, I do think that you should be required to put your appropriately sized carry one in the bin OVER your seat--the one that has your seat number on it. This would prevent people from coming on and taking the first overhead--while latecomers who are sitting near the front are searching in the rear for space--and deplaning is a disaster.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by awayIgo
While I wouldn't want people to start packing and choosing overhead space, I do think that you should be required to put your appropriately sized carry one in the bin OVER your seat--the one that has your seat number on it. This would prevent people from coming on and taking the first overhead--while latecomers who are sitting near the front are searching in the rear for space--and deplaning is a disaster.
The bins are shared between rows, and there's not enough space in the bins for the bags belonging to the people sitting in the rows underneath each bin -- otherwise, you wouldn't have this problem in the first place.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The best solution is to allow one free-checked bag per passenger for domestic flights (two pieces for international flight) unless it is Basic Economy fare. This will reduce the number of carryon bags, as travels in Europe do. The boarding time in Europe is typically less than 20 min for narrow body aircraft.
This. And enforcing the carry-on rule. I routinely see people board with 3 or more bags.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by jsloan
The bins are shared between rows, and there's not enough space in the bins for the bags belonging to the people sitting in the rows underneath each bin -- otherwise, you wouldn't have this problem in the first place.
That still doesn't explain the guy in Row 28 shoving his carry on into the overhead bin above Row 8 before even looking to see if there is space near him (hint: there is.)

It also wouldn't be nearly as large of a problem if carry on size requirements were actually enforced.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It would also help to have more of the bins that allow you to put in your bag sideways rather than having the wider side lie on the bottom. I thought they were starting to put in bins like this...maybe on the 737s, but I don't recall seeing them yet.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by emcampbe
It would also help to have more of the bins that allow you to put in your bag sideways rather than having the wider side lie on the bottom. I thought they were starting to put in bins like this...maybe on the 737s, but I don't recall seeing them yet.
All new 737 deliveries have them. Mostly seen on 739s, I'm not sure if any 738s have them. (It's easy to get confused because some aircraft have drop-down bins that are still the same size, and some have the newer larger version, and they look very similar except for the amount of space inside when opened.)

There's also a retrofit option to add those to A32X, which Delta is making use of. (And also for new Airbuses, when those A321s arrive if they ever order them...)
Old May 24, 2017, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb9522
That still doesn't explain the guy in Row 28 shoving his carry on into the overhead bin above Row 8 before even looking to see if there is space near him (hint: there is.)
Correct; but that doesn't have an effect on the number of carry-on bags that get onto the plane, or even on whose carry-ons get checked. It just inconveniences several other passengers in favor of one DYKWIA.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I'm surprised at the number of people on here who think it's a good idea for United to start charging for carry-on luggage. What are you thinking?
Seriously. Let's not give UA any more ideas. They'd charge for oxygen if they thought they could get away with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.