Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to purchase GPUable fares with Chase UR points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to purchase GPUable fares with Chase UR points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Good to know, thanks everyone!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Having nothing but problems trying to book a W fare. All the reps just say the system doesn't allow them to request a fare code.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by oopl
Having nothing but problems trying to book a W fare. All the reps just say the system doesn't allow them to request a fare code.
Did you escalate to a manager? I've never had a problem booking specific fare codes and specific flights, although it can sometimes take a few escalations or HUCA.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:02 pm

I think Chase subcontracts this now to Expedia. That is probably why the reps can't do this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I, too, recently ran into this trying to purchase a W fare. The Chase agent told me they could only search on economy, premium economy, business or first and had no idea what "W" was. I wasted a bunch of time and spoke with a few reps. The last one understood what I wanted but told me their new "improved" system did not allow purchase of a specific fare basis/bucket. In fact, this system seems to be rather deficient as reps had problems finding availability on a variety of UA nonstop flights -- suggesting idiotic things like AA nonstops from EWR that I knew didn't exist and which turned ut to be from JFK. The level of understanding and expertise I experienced in my recent interactions with Chase was abysmal. They seemed to have no way to offer anything other than what the computer spit out and no understanding of why these offerings were not acceptable.

I was promised a callback about this but so far I've not received one. I need to call Chase back about this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM
Originally Posted by Hergertarian
I'm planning on doing an SFO->NRT, NRT->SFO trip in September to burn a few GPUs. Does anyone have any experience buying tickets with chase ultimate points, and then applying a GPU?

It seems like te lowest available fares are GPU eligible, but Im a bit worried about the tickets being issued as bulk or group tickets.

I have made several purchases this way and had no problem applying GPU on United website - received PQM, PQD etc
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Did you escalate to a manager? I've never had a problem booking specific fare codes and specific flights, although it can sometimes take a few escalations or HUCA.
When was your last attempt? I was told that my account was "migrated to the new system" about two or three weeks ag.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
I think Chase subcontracts this now to Expedia. That is probably why the reps can't do this.
I think the change to Expedia really screwed this up. I called 4 times and then requested a supervisor.
She was nice but still could not request a specific fare.

Last edited by oopl; Nov 16, 2018 at 9:01 am
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
When was your last attempt? I was told that my account was "migrated to the new system" about two or three weeks ag.
I last tried this about 2 months ago - I didn't know we had a new system, I better go check
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Yep, the new system doesn't have the capability to do this. There are, indeed, not many special things Expedia phone agents can do other than what we can already do on the web portal.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LyfeSaver
Yep, the new system doesn't have the capability to do this. There are, indeed, not many special things Expedia phone agents can do other than what we can already do on the web portal.
I've found zer things that the Chase/Expedia agents can do that can't be done on the web site. In fact, they seemed to me to be generally incompetent.

FWIW, after having my request for a specific fare class denied by Chase I called Amex travel so I could use my MR points for my ticket. My request for the same fare class was handled with no problem whatsoever.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Nov 21, 2018 at 5:43 am
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If they're not typing into SABRE or an equivalent, you will not get anywhere. If they have really moved to agents without this access, that's a huge downgrade.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
I just tried this and failed twice. They claim they only have the web interface.
Should I book and call them to upfare or spent another hour with the call center person?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
I just tried this and failed twice. They claim they only have the web interface.
Should I book and call them to upfare or spent another hour with the call center person?
Since Chase mved its travel portal over to Expedia one can't request specific fare classes. Their agents only have access to the same things we can pull up via the web site. Escalation will not get you anywhere. Yes this REALLY stinks. If you absolutely have to book via Chase your only option is to do so and then call UA to move to an eligible fare class. I'd suggest trying that within 24 hours of booking so you can cancel/refund if UA won't take over the ticket and take your money. Good luck.
FTLexMUC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.