Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to purchase GPUable fares with Chase UR points

Old May 21, 2017, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA: 1k, Marriott / Bonvoy: Platinum

I'm planning on doing an SFO->NRT, NRT->SFO trip in September to burn a few GPUs. Does anyone have any experience buying tickets with chase ultimate points, and then applying a GPU?

It seems like te lowest available fares are GPU eligible, but Im a bit worried about the tickets being issued as bulk or group tickets.

Last edited by Hergertarian; Jun 14, 2017 at 6:42 am
Old May 21, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
No way to know for sure without purchasing the ticket first and seeing what your ETKT receipt looks like. You have a 24 cancellation period. The only snafu is that Chase tickets take a very long time to ticket. I've waited nearly 20 hours before.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Ask your (O)TA what ticket they're selling you before you buy it.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:36 pm

In the Chase travel portal, View Details will show the fare class it books into. Usually they just book these tickets as if they were cash, so normal fares.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
and make sure they book you into W or higher as well
Old May 21, 2017, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've done this, so here is what you need to do:

1. go to United.com and find the flights you want and confirm R seats are there if you want to do the upgrade without waitlisting after ticketing. Price out the ticket, note the fare class of each segment and the fare basis

2. call Chase UR travel department - tell them you want them to book specific flights in a specific fare class. If you get a decent agent, they will do this for you, if you get a lazy one, escalate to a supervisor - you may need to hang up and call back multiple times and may need to spoon feed them each flight, booking class, and possibly the fare basis they need to ticket in each direction.

3. once the Chase ticket is issued, go back to the reservation on united.com, where it should show up if the FF number was attached , then select the Upgrade Reservation link and follow the normal process
Old May 21, 2017, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs
No way to know for sure without purchasing the ticket first and seeing what your ETKT receipt looks like. You have a 24 cancellation period. The only snafu is that Chase tickets take a very long time to ticket. I've waited nearly 20 hours before.
No, you don't have a 24 hour cancelation period. Chase gives you until 9pm Mountain Time the day after you're booking (as a travel agency, they are not bound by the DOT 24 hour cancel policy). Last time I spoke to an agent, I was booking I think on a Saturday, and he told me weekends don't count and so you have until 9pm Monday, though I don't want to test that out.

Also, I've had it take a long time to ticket with Chase, and I've also seen them ticket essentially instantly. So YMMV.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Hergertarian
I'm planning on doing an SFO->NRT, NRT->SFO trip in September to burn a few GPUs. Does anyone have any experience buying tickets with chase ultimate points, and then applying a GP?

It seems like te lowest available fares are GPU eligible, but Im a bit worried about the tickets being issued as bulk or group tickets.
You will need to call, assuming that the lowest available is not GPU eligible. Ask to book your trip "segment by segment" or similar, this will usually clue the agent in to use SABRE (which I believe is their backend) to book. They will be then keying directly into a terminal and it helps to feed in the format "date, orig-dest, flight number, booking code". Then at the end they will price the ticket and you can check it matches what you expect.

This can also be a useful time for other questions, like "is UA the validating carrier of the ticket?".

Then call UA to clear the GPU after it tickets. You can confirm it's not a bulk fare once you get the ticket, but forcing a W code makes it rather unlikely. As noted you have ~24 hours to cancel the ticket (by calling back Chase and having them void it). The will tell you that your ticket "is not upgradeable or changeable" but that's in the mandatory CYA "script" and not indicative of a bulk fare.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA: 1k, Marriott / Bonvoy: Platinum
Follow up:

Booked thentickets through Chase's UR portal, and called 1k line to apply GPUs. About an hour after purchasing the tickets through Chase, I was confirmed in business on the new 77W.

Thanks all!
prometa likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
If you want to use chase points to book the lowest fare, then do so.

Call UA and then ask to upfare the ticket to W. They'll charge you the appropriate amount and a $50 'ticket fee' because they're changing the issuing of the ticket from Chase to UA.

GPU's can then be applied.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Chase Ultimate Rewards Portal and GPUs

Hello -

Anybody have experience booking a ticket through chase ultimate rewards, then somehow upgrading it to W fare for the purposes of applying a GPU? I don't see the option to search W fare through Chase's portal.

I'd imagine if done within 24 hours, there would be no change fee, but I'm not too sure how that would work.

I have a lot of Chase points, and would love use them for this purpose. Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by teeceedee
... Anybody have experience booking a ticket through chase ultimate rewards, then somehow upgrading it to W fare for the purposes of applying a GPU? I don't see the option to search W fare through Chase's portal. ...
Need to call

Originally Posted by teeceedee
... I'd imagine if done within 24 hours, there would be no change fee, but I'm not too sure how that would work. ....
Yes, but when done with UA, you would need to use real cash to upfare.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Just call Chase and get ticketed in W. Same procedure as e.g. booking LH PE on an 016 ticket - price the itinerary yourself and read it to 'em.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You may need to HUCA or escalate to a supervisor - the front line staff are not really travel agents and don't really understand booking codes and pricing. Sometimes you get lucky and end up with someone who can help right away, but too often you are stuck with someone who insists it can't be done and feeds you a bunch of baloney.

As noted above, and based on my own experience, when you get someone on the call just state you are having problems finding a flight on the online tool and need help, then give them the details including the booking class, ie say

"November 25, from xxx to yyy, I need United flight xxx booked in W class and it should price out to $ccc" - if they balk at even looking up flights at the beginning, you know you have the wrong agent and need to HUCA.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
i've done this often enough and yes, you need to call in. no surcharges for the ticket which is nice. never had an agent confused by a specific fare-bucket request. in fact, they usually know why you're doing this and that you'll be able to upgrade.

on the contrary, i've had terrible experience booking through american express for the same type of ticket: clueless agents who only believe tickets come in economy, business, and first, and that fare buckets are some made up concept that i crafted on the fly. and when you do get lucky with an agent, there's no waiving their insanely high fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.