Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA buys LA Coliseum naming rights,"United Airlines Memorial Coliseum" - Or maybe not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA buys LA Coliseum naming rights,"United Airlines Memorial Coliseum" - Or maybe not?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: united
Great. Now the games will be delayed at least 30 minutes.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by malgudi
Not a fan of the name/optics. Sounds like UA died and we now have a memorial to honor them
Didn't that happen about 7 years ago?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
The stadium's capacity will be reduced from 93,607 to 77,500 when the changes are complete.
This sentence and "United Airlines" cannot possibly go together.
nnn, halls120, artvandalay and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by riphamilton
members of the USC marching band currently performing live in the LAX T7 ticketing lobby, complete with song girls.
As a bruin, I find this deeply offensive.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:25 pm

And this will improve on-board service, how?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by am1108
Originally Posted by malgudi
Not a fan of the name/optics. Sounds like UA died and we now have a memorial to honor them
Didn't that happen about 7 years ago?
I believe it was closer to eight.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
This is very curious considering UA presence at LAX. This is a good sign for UA now ramping up their operation. Maybe they have more gates now and can get it back to Hub status?

Interesting move and a clear signal they will expand at LAX, because the leadership wouldn’t do it otherwise right?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by riphamilton
members of the USC marching band currently performing live in the LAX T7 ticketing lobby, complete with song girls.
Would have loved to experiene that! Too bad those things are not being announced/learned of beforehand!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Just my personal opinion here.....I’d rather see UA upgrading its IAD terminal C/D using the $70 million....

Nevertheless, hope this signals expansion at LAX....
nnn, goodeats21 and am1108 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:02 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
A number of germane points about the lack of perceived value to UAL on this naming, brought out on this Blog. "LAObserved" is one of the most read and highly respected columns about Southern California with supposedly over 300,000 regular readers:

USC sells Coliseum name to United Airlines - LA Observed

Some of the Twitter quotes in the column are classics.
nnn likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by schley
This is very curious considering UA presence at LAX. This is a good sign for UA now ramping up their operation. Maybe they have more gates now and can get it back to Hub status?

Interesting move and a clear signal they will expand at LAX, because the leadership wouldn’t do it otherwise right?
I don't think anyone can call LAX a "hub" per say. Even if UA got it's T6 gates back, there's just so many gates and so many other airlines, that it's really really difficult to take that much of the market share away from other carriers in order to make LAX a "hub".
But, with this competition, it's a great time to be a consumer.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:32 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Great. Now the games will be delayed at least 30 minutes.
But you mean by at least 30 minutes and with an incorrect reason given for the delay, right?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
Normally, every conference team dislikes every other conference team. That's called a rivalry.
While that's true, USC is a little different. I'd liken them more like the Patriots of the Western half of the US. I don't even limit it to the Pac-12.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Nevertheless, hope this signals expansion at LAX....

Overall an encouraging sign of UAs (re-)committment to the So. Cal/LA market.
Seem to remember that about 10 years ago another venue was United-name-sponsored. Was it maybe the Basketball/Hockey arena in downtown?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I don't think anyone can call LAX a "hub" per say. Even if UA got it's T6 gates back, there's just so many gates and so many other airlines, that it's really really difficult to take that much of the market share away from other carriers in order to make LAX a "hub".
But, with this competition, it's a great time to be a consumer.
I think many people can, and in fact, United does. Look at their # of flights (and Intl destinations), plus UA has a new "President of California"!

The memorial part of the name is awkward, but it certainly shows an investment and commitment in the market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.