Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA buys LA Coliseum naming rights,"United Airlines Memorial Coliseum" - Or maybe not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA buys LA Coliseum naming rights,"United Airlines Memorial Coliseum" - Or maybe not?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC

Not sure if this exactly fits under an existing topic, so I figured a new one might be in order. Perhaps a sign that UA is going to try and meaningfully fight for more market share in LAX?

USC has a deal in place to sell the stadium’s naming rights to United Airlines.

The name of the stadium has not been revealed, though Coliseum Commission president Mark-Ridley Thomas said he reviewed the agreement and said it is "gratifying to know that this historic landmark will always retain 'Memorial Coliseum' as a part of its name."

The news was first reported by Sports Business Daily, which said United would pay $70 million over 15 years. That would make it the most lucrative naming-rights deal in college football.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Perhaps a sign that UA is going to try and meaningfully fight for more market share in LAX?
I hope so! I'm also happy to see that "Coliseum" will remain part of the name.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
that place is a dump. waste of money.
(Admitted Cal bias here :P)

no but seriously that seems an odd move, with the new field being built in inglewood.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA GS
Perfect! . See my profile.
LA is still a "college football town". USC and UCLA have a much larger following than any pro franchise has ever had here.

Last edited by LAXOGG; May 18, 2017 at 8:31 pm
Old May 18, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
UA also gets three years of NFL exposure while the new rams stadium is being built.

if all goes as expected, LA should host the 2024 olympics and significant matches of the 2026 world cup. however, the IOC and FIFA don't allow stadia to have a sponsor's name attached - so the coliseum will likely revert to being the LA coliseum for those events with a global audience. (this is assuming that the coliseum will host these marquee events, as opposed to the new inglewood stadium).

Last edited by riphamilton; May 18, 2017 at 7:59 pm
Old May 18, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
why was my first thought....

"gladiators" Just saying...
Old May 18, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Fight On!

Still an airline on the decline and I am halfway to my 18th straight year as 1 k

employees, for most part just don't care
Old May 18, 2017, 10:57 pm

CEO is a USC alum
Old May 18, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Naming rights. Feh. United Club at the stadium would be ok though.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
CEO is a USC alum
I might add that while they have a major following in parts of LA, basically everyone else in the Pac-12 hates SC. Not sure that teaming up with SC will help UA "win" in other California markets, such as the bay area....
Old May 19, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
"gladiators" Just saying...
I thought the same thing: Colosseum instead of Coliseum. "In this corner, a skinny septuagenarian from Louisville. In that corner, three burly thugs from Chicago..."
Old May 19, 2017, 6:05 am

I might add that while they have a major following in parts of LA, basically everyone else in the Pac-12 hates SC. Not sure that teaming up with SC will help UA "win" in other California markets, such as the bay area....
Normally, every conference team dislikes every other conference team. That's called a rivalry.
Miggles likes this.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Is this really a part of one's decision tree when purchasing airfare?

Seems a little insignificant to me.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Tblack15
Is this really a part of one's decision tree when purchasing airfare?

Seems a little insignificant to me.
You may be right, but if so, then United is wasting it's money paying for naming rights.... Unless there is a positive association, the money is wasted.

Originally Posted by fly18725
Normally, every conference team dislikes every other conference team. That's called a rivalry.
you have just identified yourself as never having spent any time with people educated in the pac-10/pac-12. I have friends, former GFs who went to SC, even they will recognize the reputation
Old May 19, 2017, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
you have just identified yourself as never having spent any time with people educated in the pac-10/pac-12. I have friends, former GFs who went to SC, even they will recognize the reputation
I used to have family in LA that would call USC 'University of Second Choice'. Obviously they were big UCLA fans, but that was downright cold, even to a young kid like me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.