Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Uniformed Crew Bumping CPU List, Sitting in F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uniformed Crew Bumping CPU List, Sitting in F

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SEA_
I think you took my question the wrong way. I don't think I was implying there was a horror story at any point in my posts, let alone complaining about the situation at all.
The tone of your initial post - claiming (twice!) to have been "bumped" out of line - was much closer to accusatory/complaining than it was to expressing inquiry or confusion.
@:-)
Old May 18, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by SEA_
Thanks everyone for the info, always learning on here...

I think you took my question the wrong way.

Last edited by runner450; May 18, 2017 at 4:19 pm
Old May 18, 2017, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by sbm12
The tone of your initial post - claiming (twice!) to have been "bumped" out of line - was much closer to accusatory/complaining than it was to expressing inquiry or confusion.
@:-)
I agree and the accusations posted were borderline "Fake News"!

Seems as though nearly everyone thinks there is some sort of conspiracy and/or collusion going on when they are in a First-Place-Show position, at the gate, and finish last!
Old May 18, 2017, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG, Mariott Gold, Avis President's Club
I do apologize if my post was taken that way, certainly not my intention at all, so I'll gladly own it and stand corrected.

I'll be sure to choose my words more carefully next time, thanks again to all.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
but if they are deadheading that counts as duty time for the FAA, and will require the required rest periods for crew, even though they aren't doing anything at all flight related.
It's fairly complicated. If you are interested, the rules are in 14 CFR 117.

Deadheading time does not qualify as required rest time and it may, or may not, count as duty time depending on what else happens in the duty period.

We are only booked into F on very long flights or on medium-length flights when we will operate (fly) another leg(s) in the same flight duty period (FDP) without an intervening rest period.

For example, the Caribbean islands typically have more service on the weekends than during the workweek. For this reason, we have to get extra crews into position to fly the extra flights on the weekends as many of the flights are too long to do as a round trip. i.e. EWR-AUA-EWR. In that case you'd DH pilots EWR-AUA who would then turn around and fly the airplane back to EWR. They'd be booked into F, if available at time of booking, because of the length of the flight and that they will be flying the return leg in the same FDP. If a crew were to fly EWR-AUA then DH back, in the same FDP, they would not be booked into F because they'd be going into rest when they reached EWR instead of flying another leg(s). They would be on the upgrade list but they would be below all revenue passengers.

As to duty period (FDP in 14 CFR 117), the crew that DH'd then flew would be on-duty for the DH. The crew that flew first then DH'd would not be on-duty on the DH but they would also not be in rest, either. Their rest would not start until they were released at the end of the DH and they would have to have the required rest before they could start a new flight duty period.

For example, if they are heading on a long flight (say DEL, TLV, BOM, SIN) to retrieve a dead airplane or a crew that had a major issue, they would need to be given an equivalent crew rest conditions as if they were actually working the flight.
No, on a flight that long the crew would have to go into rest after the DH before they could operate another flight as the FDP would exceed max limits. DH isn't rest.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Collierkr
PLease confirm- crew on personal travel cannot wear their uniforms???
I believe they can, if they commute for work (i.e. live in Tampa but based in ORD) the commuting is technically personal travel, plus may wear their uniforms as (I believe) they have to be in uniform to jump seat.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Collierkr
PLease confirm- crew on personal travel cannot wear their uniforms???
Incorrect. Off duty crews MAY fly in uniform.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Just my $0.02 and I realize that there may be mitigating circumstances, but if I were running an airline (or any business) I couldn't imagine putting an employee ahead of a customer. From the perspective of a passenger I don't really mind, but from the perspective of a business owner I would be furious if my employees had the mentality that they thought it was OK for employees to sit in first class.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Incorrect. Off duty crews MAY fly in uniform.
Correct
Old May 18, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by 5khours
Just my $0.02 and I realize that there may be mitigating circumstances, but if I were running an airline (or any business) I couldn't imagine putting an employee ahead of a customer. From the perspective of a passenger I don't really mind, but from the perspective of a business owner I would be furious if my employees had the mentality that they thought it was OK for employees to sit in first class.
I suppose it's a balancing act, between keeping both camps happy.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
it is most definitely good to upgrade elites - but per published benefits, upgrades are based on acailable space. These seats were no longer available.

Are you suggesting it's bad policy to provide crew with the benefits they are entitled to per their contract - which include sitting in F when deadheading?
I suspect that deadheading FAs are not entitled to FC space, although pilots might be. I don't know what the UA contracts say about this. Nevertheless, it can create a perception among customers that something inappropriate has happened and on that basis, it's something that IMO should be avoided.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LarryJ
It's fairly complicated. If you are interested, the rules are in 14 CFR 117.

Deadheading time does not qualify as required rest time and it may, or may not, count as duty time depending on what else happens in the duty period.

We are only booked into F on very long flights or on medium-length flights when we will operate (fly) another leg(s) in the same flight duty period (FDP) without an intervening rest period.

For example, the Caribbean islands typically have more service on the weekends than during the workweek. For this reason, we have to get extra crews into position to fly the extra flights on the weekends as many of the flights are too long to do as a round trip. i.e. EWR-AUA-EWR. In that case you'd DH pilots EWR-AUA who would then turn around and fly the airplane back to EWR. They'd be booked into F, if available at time of booking, because of the length of the flight and that they will be flying the return leg in the same FDP. If a crew were to fly EWR-AUA then DH back, in the same FDP, they would not be booked into F because they'd be going into rest when they reached EWR instead of flying another leg(s). They would be on the upgrade list but they would be below all revenue passengers.

As to duty period (FDP in 14 CFR 117), the crew that DH'd then flew would be on-duty for the DH. The crew that flew first then DH'd would not be on-duty on the DH but they would also not be in rest, either. Their rest would not start until they were released at the end of the DH and they would have to have the required rest before they could start a new flight duty period.

No, on a flight that long the crew would have to go into rest after the DH before they could operate another flight as the FDP would exceed max limits. DH isn't rest.
Thank you. This is interesting and sounds very sensible. It also suggests that it's not very common in general that crew are entitled to premium cabin seating when deadheading, but it might be quite common on certain routes or at certain times.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by 5khours
If UA has to deadhead a pilot or FA somewhere to work another flight bumping one pax is a small ask vs canceling a flight with 50-374 people on it.

I also wonder if UA is being overly sensitive with the Dao situation, if Y is full and F has seats it might be easier to put them in F if there is a seat available vs having "we were traveling for our honeymoon and UA upgraded me but my wife wasn't upgraded and after they refused to upgrade her they made her sit next to a pilot the whole flight in MY seat"

Originally Posted by Kacee
Assuming these were NRPS, my question would be whether there was compliance with the new 60 minute crew booking requirement. The fact these crewmembers were not on the upgrade list at T-30 suggests noncompliance.

If OP provides flight details, we can get more info about what actually happened.
UA says they won't book onto an oversold flight within 1 hour of departure, if Y is 100% (not oversold) and F has 2 seats they are not breaking the rule

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 18, 2017 at 10:10 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old May 18, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by clubord
So I guess that concludes this witch hunt....
The trial may be over, but the internet lynch mob, fueled by the unwashed masses, scumbag travel deal bloggers, and even FT itself (seeing as how this thread is linked to the front page) is still out to ruin United. Every article, every news story, every mention, whether United was right or wrong, comes with a clickbait title and a slanted story that makes it sound like United is always in the wrong. They're making it sound like the sky is falling on United's end and that couldn't be any further from the truth.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
As a golden rule, FA's and Tech Crew's should not be bumping business class passengers out of their seats which are confirmed.

Airliners should keep 4 seats vacant for all flights until 2 hours before a flight and then release them to the public and last minute travellers instead of bumping passengers off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.