Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do premium seats go down in price if still available close to departure date?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 6:53 am
Original Poster

I do not fly much anymore so don't know the "ropes" anymore either. We are flying to Europe in less than 2 weeks. We are in the cheap seats in the back of the 777. I notice that the majority of all the seats in the "upcharge" sections are still available. Im thinking of upgrading to Economy plus at least on our way there, so we're hopefully more rested. Is it normal for them to reduce the prices of these seats in order to sell them out? It seems crazy to me that only roughly 1/3 of the plane is sold out with less than 2 weeks to go. Thank you so much for your help.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
E+ is dynamically priced so may be slightly cheaper (although remember silvers can take them from T-24.

Business tends to sell more close to departure but if it looks as though there will be spare availability, then upgrades will become available for purchase and/or mileage awards will open up.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
You might find this thread helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rture-tod.html

It'll tell you what people were offered to upgrade from economy to business/first at time of departure (i.e. when you check in). Not sure where you're going (or coming from), but a poster recently noted that a Chicago -> Munich upgrade was $1500 20 hours before departure and went down to $499 90 minutes before departure.

Others can weigh in, but my thought would be: if you definitely want to get out of economy, you might as well go with economy plus now. The price isn't going to go down dramatically in the way a business/first upgrade would, so you might as well lock it in now and be certain you'll get it. On the other hand, if you're willing to roll the dice and go all the way down to the wire, you could get a deal on a business/first upgrade - but then you're risking possibly being stuck in economy if everything else gets taken.

Edit: note that if you're going the latter path and trying to snipe a cheap biz/first upgrade, you'd probably want to do online checkin as soon as it opens up (should be 24 hrs before the flight) and see what price is offered on the "change my seat" upgrade. IIRC you can see the price to upgrade before you finalize your checkin, so you could just start the checkin process every so often to see what the fee is and then back out if you don't want to accept it.

Last edited by saltydog75; May 16, 2017 at 1:01 pm Reason: additional note
Old May 17, 2017, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saltydog75
You might find this thread helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rture-tod.html

It'll tell you what people were offered to upgrade from economy to business/first at time of departure (i.e. when you check in). Not sure where you're going (or coming from), but a poster recently noted that a Chicago -> Munich upgrade was $1500 20 hours before departure and went down to $499 90 minutes before departure.

Others can weigh in, but my thought would be: if you definitely want to get out of economy, you might as well go with economy plus now. The price isn't going to go down dramatically in the way a business/first upgrade would, so you might as well lock it in now and be certain you'll get it. On the other hand, if you're willing to roll the dice and go all the way down to the wire, you could get a deal on a business/first upgrade - but then you're risking possibly being stuck in economy if everything else gets taken.

Edit: note that if you're going the latter path and trying to snipe a cheap biz/first upgrade, you'd probably want to do online checkin as soon as it opens up (should be 24 hrs before the flight) and see what price is offered on the "change my seat" upgrade. IIRC you can see the price to upgrade before you finalize your checkin, so you could just start the checkin process every so often to see what the fee is and then back out if you don't want to accept it.
Thank you very much. This seems like good advice and I appreciate it. We originate in Charleston - Chicago - Brussels. I have a hard time justifying $350 to upgrade (2 of us) just to get a wee bit of extra legroom, but the other part of me says, we need the sleep as we have a very fast paced trip ahead of us.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by Owinsmom
Thank you very much. This seems like good advice and I appreciate it. We originate in Charleston - Chicago - Brussels. I have a hard time justifying $350 to upgrade (2 of us) just to get a wee bit of extra legroom, but the other part of me says, we need the sleep as we have a very fast paced trip ahead of us.
For me and my wife (5-9 and 5-4), it's not about the legroom....it's more about not having the seat in front of you reclined almost into your face...and there's somewhat more chance of having the middle seat empty...we always take a window and aisle in an empty row if possible, and then if someone takes the middle, they're always more than happy to switch to one or the other.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hughw
For me and my wife (5-9 and 5-4), it's not about the legroom....it's more about not having the seat in front of you reclined almost into your face...and there's somewhat more chance of having the middle seat empty...we always take a window and aisle in an empty row if possible, and then if someone takes the middle, they're always more than happy to switch to one or the other.
I appreciate this information!! All I was thinking about is leg room. I'm 5'11" and haven't taken a transatlantic flight since 2006 so a lot has changed.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by saltydog75
if you definitely want to get out of economy, you might as well go with economy plus now. The price isn't going to go down dramatically in the way a business/first upgrade would, so you might as well lock it in now and be certain you'll get it.
Agree the price will not go down dramatically as departure nears, but the price will swing up and down within a defined range. If you watch the prices for a week or so, you'll get a feel what the range is, and can make the purchase at the bottom.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: None anymore
I've had instances where I call a month out and an upgrade to biz is $1k. Day of departure (T-24) still $1k and then at the check in counter I've gotten CPU'd (but that was due to irrops, late flight day before had a bunch of people change flights overselling Y and 15 open seats in biz) and I've also then gotten offers for $2k at check in - so it goes both ways.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree the price will not go down dramatically as departure nears, but the price will swing up and down within a defined range. If you watch the prices for a week or so, you'll get a feel what the range is, and can make the purchase at the bottom.
Yes, I've been watching them for about a week and the 2 outside seats (window and aisle) are consistently $276 and the center seat is $267 and has been that price when I have checked off and on for the last month. I don't know whether that is a high price or a good price.

THank you all for your help.. It is greatly appreciated.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I'd also add that if you pay for E+ and then take a paid upgrade offer (First or Business), your E+ fee is refunded. Usually it's automatic and appears back on the form of payment within a couple of days. Sometimes you'll have to manually submit the refund request.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, I've been watching them for about a week and the 2 outside seats (window and aisle) are consistently $276 and the center seat is $267 and has been that price when I have checked off and on for the last month. I don't know whether that is a high price or a good price.

It may be UA's going rate but it's a lot of money for 4 inches of extra legroom.

If you're thinking about it, at that price, you might also consider a 1-year subscription. It's $899 for two people, which would cover you both directions. That obviously makes more sense if you're going to fly UA again over the next year.
E+
Subscription.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
E+ is dynamically priced so may be slightly cheaper (although remember silvers can take them from T-24.
Is this new? I've always thought E+ fees are fixed for a specific seat for a specific plane on a specific route, and would not change if getting closer to departure. Cheaper seats previously unavailable becoming available (e.g. a middle seat previously not available becoming available and cheaper than an isle seat) is one thing, but that is not dynamic pricing based on time of departure. Or am I wrong?
Old May 19, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
E+ pricing is dynamic, but not in any predictable way. Specifically, it does not get cheaper closer to departure, it just fluctuates arbitrarily over time within a band.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:29 am
Original Poster

My apologies - I don't know where my head was at....the prices should be $176 and $167, which makes a huge difference. That subscription option looks interesting. You've all been so helpful and I really do appreciate all the help!!!! Being a "senior" and traveling being such a pain anymore, I really am very grateful. I don't know what I would do without forums and the wonderful people like y'all that help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.