Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!

UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!

Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
This is fine. If you have an onward boarding pass, you're fine. Nothing special will happen and you'll just present your boarding pass as usual and board your flight and enjoy, you know, the exciting onboard United product and the wonders of civil aviation in the 21st century. It happens in transit as your itinerary and e-ticket get updated at different paces as you continue flying.

You might have a problem if

(1) you manually used united.com to 'cancel check-in' for some masochistic reason, or if

(2) united.com no longer shows the upcoming segments on your flight (flights that you have not yet flown are not visible on the UA web site), or if

(3) the coupon status associated with your e-ticket for the coupon that covers the flight you are currently taking is not "Flown" after at least an hour in the air.

Otherwise there is no problem.

With old pre-merger united.com I used to accidentally do (1) every now and then by trying to change my seat using OLCI; back in the day, OLCI would sometimes say "hey, you're trying to check in within X minutes of your flight, that is past the departure cutoff, you are gonna miss your flight so I have helpfully cancelled your check-in and you can contact an agent for help!". Then I would walk over to the gate with my boarding pass and say with shame, "um, can you please check that I'm still checked in? I just have a HUNCH that something has gone wrong". I think I managed to do this twice, lol. It's no longer possible to do this on accident with new post-merger UA systems.

Even (2) can be okay — I have had that happen in a weird case where I did a semi-manual SDC with an agent's help and my reservation ended up out of sync between the reservations system and departure control system, which I didn't think was possible with United, but it totally is. I was a little freaked out but even that was fine.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:34 am

I'm afraid I am in a number 3 scenario. On the flight status for the flight I'm on right now, has my seat empty and the flight attendant said that I am not on his app as being on this flight. My app is telling me my DEN flight has already departed and that i can look for alternative flight options. On the united website, it says I need to see an agent.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by metermaid33
I'm afraid I am in a number 3 scenario. On the flight status for the flight I'm on right now, has my seat empty and the flight attendant said that I am not on his app as being on this flight. My app is telling me my DEN flight has already departed and that i can look for alternative flight options. On the united website, it says I need to see an agent.
Cool. Present your boarding pass at the gate for your onward flight (the gate opens 60 minutes before departure, so probably do that as soon as the gate opens) and ask the gate agent to make sure you are correctly checked in. A good agent will discover and fix the problem (if there is a problem).
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... On the united website, it says I need to see an agent.
At this point, that may be the only solution.

You could try to email/text someone on the ground and ask them to call UA to flag the issue but this will most likely take an airport agent to resolve. Appears your BP did not scan on boarding. This is a rare but common enough incident the airport agents are familiar with the resolution.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
FWIW I like your FT handle
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:45 am

Thanks, everyone.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by enviroian
FWIW I like your FT handle
It would be even better if their name was Rita!
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:19 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
It would be even better if their name was Rita!
Yes, that would be lovely
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:01 pm

Just to update. I made it to DEN and two gate agents have said my ticket looks fine. I verified that it shows I was not on my original flight and they said "yes, that's weird, but don't worry about it." So, I will just be happy if I make it to my final destination without further headaches, but I'm expecting a fight when trying to get my PQMs, RDMs, etc.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Save your boarding passes. Take a screen shot if you only have mobile ones
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by manneca
Save your boarding passes. Take a screen shot if you only have mobile ones
I never understood how possession of a boarding pass or a screenshot of one proves that someone was actually on a particular flight. (And yet I know that airlines at least in the past have asked for it; not sure if they still do in the age of apps and smart watches)
Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I never understood how possession of a boarding pass or a screenshot of one proves that someone was actually on a particular flight. (And yet I know that airlines at least in the past have asked for it; not sure if they still do in the age of apps and smart watches)
They've been known to ask for used BPs. That's why I always print one, at the airport kiosk if I can - and this from a recycler and treehugger.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 3:05 pm

Just to update. I made it to DEN and two gate agents have said my ticket looks fine.
Cool, sounds like you're good to go. From your description it does sound like you might have been offloaded on your first sector (how?! very weird), but if you fly the next leg things should work out ok.

If this is the outbound part of a round trip (or some longer journey) it will be worthwhile to check the itinerary tomorrow to make sure the downline segments haven't randomly been auto cancelled.

I verified that it shows I was not on my original flight and they said "yes, that's weird, but don't worry about it." So, I will just be happy if I make it to my final destination without further headaches, but I'm expecting a fight when trying to get my PQMs, RDMs, etc.
Yeah, save your boarding pass, but also did you buy wifi on board? In the unlikely event that the miles don't post, one very easy conversation to have with MileagePlus when requesting mileage credit is:

Them: "You weren't on this plane. How dare you say that you were?!"
You: "Interesting. Can you help me request a refund for the wifi I bought while I was on board the plane?"
Old Jul 2, 2016, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Cool, sounds like you're good to go. From your description it does sound like you might have been offloaded on your first sector (how?! very weird), but if you fly the next leg things should work out ok.

If this is the outbound part of a round trip (or some longer journey) it will be worthwhile to check the itinerary tomorrow to make sure the downline segments haven't randomly been auto cancelled.

Yeah, save your boarding pass, but also did you buy wifi on board? In the unlikely event that the miles don't post, one very easy conversation to have with MileagePlus when requesting mileage credit is:

Them: "You weren't on this plane. How dare you say that you were?!"
You: "Interesting. Can you help me request a refund for the wifi I bought while I was on board the plane?"
I always book one ways, so no issues there. I did buy wifi, so I have that extra ammunition if they want to say I wasn't on my first flight. Made it home, so thanks for all the advice along the way.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
OP good for you! Make sure you get your miles. Have a great weekend!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.