Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:10 pm

Similar issues happened on me last Oct on a flight from GRU/IAD/SFO. When I tried to get on IAD/SFO flight with my pre-issued boarding pass, the agent said my boarding pass was not valid. I was reported as no-show on GRU/IAD flight and my tickets were cancelled. I did not have to argue that much that I was on the GIG/IAD flight, but my upgraded first class seat had been already assigned to someone else. Luckily there was a last minute no-show for first class and I was able to get that seat for the long flight.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
They do this crap to me all the time. I have had them ask "what seat were you in?" and then they pull the manifest or something and see me.

I do know that if you flew, it is unfair for them to take your seats away. Their mistake, they should make it up to you.

I tend to make sure they do.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by UAkls
This a happened to me. I still recall telling the agent that I had my boarding pass and he told me that was not proof that I was on the flight! He said system showed I was not on it…"the system does not lie" was his exact quote. Then I told I him I had a cc receipt for a purchase of wine on the flight. I asked, "Is this a fraudulent charge to my account by UA?" I then told him to get me supervisor who then reinstated my return flight. Hence, now I always purchase something on every flight!
Why can't these silly agents just do their best to fix obvious airline screw ups?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by kale73
My response would be: "In that case, sir, you have just implied that I am lying, and since I see no point in carrying on a discussion with someone who doesn't believe me, I will now hold for your immediate supervisor."
This has happened to me twice. Problem was never resolved.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by jmastron

At the very least, I think they should send an email alert when you allegedly no-show warning that the onward flights are or may be cancelled, so it can be dealt with ASAP.
They should do this at the very least - we shouldn't have to babysit reservations just to make sure that they are not cancelled incorrectly by United.

My Monday morning ORD-BOS segment earlier this week was cancelled after they claimed that I did not fly my MSP-ORD segment on Sunday night. Thankfully I happened to be checking my itineraries late on Sunday night after arriving in Chicago and noticed that my reservation was not showing up on the website. They were able to reinstate my Boston flight after a 30 minute phone call to the 1K line, but of course my seat in row 7 had been taken by that point and I was moved to the back of the bus.

I did get a piddly 2,000 miles for my troubles though.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by immax45
Thanks for all of the input. I decided to go to the ticket counter at DFW and the agent was able to get me a workable seat on my scheduled flight.

I get the idea that my ticket entitles me to be on the flight, and my specific seat selection can be change for 'any or no' reason. However, that also holds true for the person who is currently assigned to my original seat. Would it be fair for the airline to reassign them? No, not at all. And while I don't know that persons specific circumstances, my claim to that specific seat should be higher based on the fact I held it for nearly 2 months until it was changed solely due to airline error.

Given recent events, it's a little worrisome that they do not have record of me being on the IAD-DFW flight, and won't acknowledge the fact even after I let them know of their error. If there was a need for all passengers to be contacted (suppose another passenger on my flight had a dangerous, contagious virus), I would not be on the list to contact....
First, you are correct, your seat selection can in fact change for any reason whatsoever. You have no real "claim" on a specific seat, and UA will go out of their way to explain that to you, because any crack in that dam creates quite a mess. As for moving the other person out of "your" seat, this is an example where two wrongs don't make things right. It just makes things worse. Unless you can construct a scenario in which UA is out to get you, specifically, these things happen on an entirely random basis, with no regard to status. It's not personal. Doesn't make it any less wrong, probably doesn't make you feel any better, but it's just one of those things that will happen once in a while.

I would write to United and explain your frustration, ask what you should have done to keep it from happening, what your responsibilities are as a passenger. Don't ask for compensation. Don't in any way act as if you are an important person that the airline should be taking care of. Just ask what you can do so it doesn't happen to you again.

And if they happen to want to send you some miles, so be it.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
It hasn't been a problem for 1Ks for a long time, only the last 2.5 years or so. That's when my first experience with this happened too; no coincidence.
There's a lot of 1K people here that seem to have experienced this issue. Is that because of the amount of travel they do or is it a system glitch tied to 1Ks?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by TomMM
There's a lot of 1K people here that seem to have experienced this issue. Is that because of the amount of travel they do or is it a system glitch tied to 1Ks?
System glitch that 1ks are more likely to experience simply because they travel more often than others.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
How much they travel.

My allusion to the past was because the airline that recognized 1Ks in the past used a different system.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I just checked a forthcoming Award Reservation which I booked months ago. Suddenly it had a new segment at the front end - from EZE to LIS on TAP scheduled a week before my first flight. I'm not going to Brazil or Portugal and I'm not flying TAP on my trip. If I hadn't checked the Reservation, this first segment could have been missed and my trip cancelled without me even knowing about it. The agent had no idea how it had got there.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HA Pualani
I have had this happened. I wax on a YVR-SFO-HNL itin. No irrops. Flew YVR-SFO. Scan my BP and pulled aside, saying I never flew the YVR-SFO itin. Showed them my BP as well as bag tags which showed YVR-SFO-HNL

Weird thing is that my son on the same ITIN did not have the same issue and still retained his F seat.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by eghansen
If you really are a 1K, I am surprised that none of these things have happened to you before.
^ Happened to me plenty of times. Also had it where they try to give away my CPU upgraded seat because BP failed to scan correctly and they send someone onto the plane with BP for my seat. In that case, I just refuse to separate my backside from the seat cushion ---- give an inch and UA will take a mile.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:14 am

United System doesn't think I'm on my flight. Help!

I am currently on a flight and have a connection later today. Once in the air, I noticed the red ! by my reservation on the app. After searching around and talking to the flight attendant, it is clear the system thinks I am not on this flight. I have wi-fi on the plane, but is there anything I can do now or do I just need to wait until we land to sort it out? I have an hour layover. I'm trying not to panic but I fly all the time and this has never happened to me before.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I'm sure you are ok. How much more time in flight do you have?

Perhaps contact ua via Twitter or Facebook.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:27 am

I have an hour left on this flight. My boarding pass is still active and my seat looks to still be intact on both the seat map and the upgrade list for my next flight. I will try to relax and trust it will get sorted out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.