Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!

UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!

Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:01 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Though we don't know the details of this particular case, this situation can generally be quickly fixed by contacting UA, as mentioned above. I'll leave this thread as, though missing the original post, it is an interesting situation and the thread may be useful to someone else in the future.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
This could also happen at check-in when the system thinks that you have missed the first segment. In my case, I changed the originating city from ORF to IAD when I missed a carry-on bag (still at home) at ORF and decided to drive to IAD to catch the rest of the flights. 1K agent changed my reservation incorrectly and I had to beg a check-in agent to reinstall the rest of my flights. Without OP's original message, one could not figure out the original problem. Hope that OP will return.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I've had this happen when an airport agent improperly adds me to the standby list for an earlier flight. Flight goes out full and I fly my original flights without issue. However, whatever the agent did in adding me to the standby list for the earlier flight somehow stuck in the system and marked me as a no show, cancelling my return. Same COS agent each time, and I generally avoid him now, even though he his is super friendly. We've even spoke about it, he always blames UA systems.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:51 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Something like this happened to me two weeks ago at LAX when the boarding gate computer/software/reader was down and the GAs did a manual procedure. For those who had detachable boarding card stock, they kept the stubs. For others with print-offsite BPs (my case), they wrote the PNRs or name/seat number on a sheet of paper, and for those with mobile BPs, they asked them to hold off boarding as they thought they could get the gate automation back.

As this was my last flight on the ticket, I was not concerned about a cancellation via no-show. My only concern was flight credit. But I assume that the GAs did get everything inputted, as, next day, I got my UA survey on the flight and the day after, the flight credit posted.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
We've even spoke about it, he always blames UA systems.
So, it is not JUST FTers complaining UA system.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:46 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
We've even spoke about it, he always blames UA systems.
Had an agent at STL recently who was checking my bags through on two different PNRs. As she typed away, I said "I'm sorry that SHARES makes it difficult for you." She said, "So, you know about SHARES?". I said yes. She said the problem now is that the new front end often makes things difficult to do and she has to go back into SHARES to actually accomplish them. Kind of like doing MS-DOS code work behind Windows. Said that if you know the old system well enough you are fine. The problem is that most of today's agents don't know either the old or the new!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by 1P
Had an agent at STL recently who was checking my bags through on two different PNRs. As she typed away, I said "I'm sorry that SHARES makes it difficult for you." She said, "So, you know about SHARES?". I said yes. She said the problem now is that the new front end often makes things difficult to do and she has to go back into SHARES to actually accomplish them. Kind of like doing MS-DOS code work behind Windows. Said that if you know the old system well enough you are fine. The problem is that most of today's agents don't know either the old or the new!
In my case I'm convinced he is the one making a mistake. Agree or disagree with the current system, but it's his job to do it correctly, not me as a passenger to know the proper procedure. Based on experience, the standby flight done correctly will show up at the end of my record, done wrong it will show up first.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kmxu
So, it is not JUST FTers complaining UA system.
A few years ago I was connecting in SYD to a flight to SFO. When I got to the gate, no GAs were there, so I wandered over to the LAX departure gate, which was manned. That flight was delayed for MX reasons, and during a break in the action, I walked up and asked the CSR if they could issue me a new BP for my UA flight to SFO. She was very nice, and said, "I'll try, but I'm not sure I can." I said no worries, I get it that SHARES restricts what you can do. Which prompted a 10 minute pleasant but pointed diatribe from her and her colleague about how UA systems sucked post merger and made the lives of the employees miserable.

It isn't just FTers complaining about UA's miserable systems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.