Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

It's May, I'm at 60k PQMs, why would UA send me a Purchase PQM Offer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat

I'm presuming these went out broadly, but why on earth would I buy more when I'm tracking to finish at 150k PQM and am already past the PQD barrier?
Old May 15, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Because UA gets money if you buy PQMs?
Old May 15, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's called a triumph of hope over expectation.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Same reason they send it to you after you have re-qualed 1K. You agreed to get marketing emails from United.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Same reason they send it to you after you have re-qualed 1K. You agreed to get marketing emails from United.
Here I am, trying to apply logic to the customer marketing of a massive global business, and you come along and reduce it to a cynical (if accurate) recitation of the Ts & Cs.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jcg20
I'm presuming these went out broadly, but why on earth would I buy more when I'm tracking to finish at 150k PQM and am already past the PQD barrier?
It's probably just a regular marketing email. I got the same thing today, and I have 42k EQMs banked.

If I thought I'd need a mileage run to get 1K this year, I'd rather buy a ticket to Hong Kong or Singapore, upgrade, and have a nice weekend in the air. That would yield more miles for less money.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jcg20
Here I am, trying to apply logic to the customer marketing of a massive global business, and you come along and reduce it to a cynical (if accurate) recitation of the Ts & Cs.
I mean the practical side of that is "because they just send all the marketing to everyone". It's not worth their time to only advertise PQM sales to people they think might want PQM.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
If you are seeking a PQM offer, log into mystatus.united.com. They have an option right on there (atleast for me) to top up up to 15,000 PQMs
Old May 15, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
They're the only offers I get from UA, that and "Buy Miles!"
Old May 15, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k
It came at the right time. I was waiting for an offer, as I am planning to fly less this year, but will be more active again next year.

I think offers like this are great, take it or leave it kinda thing.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EricH
Because UA gets money if you buy PQMs?
This ^^^

There's a sucker born every day.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: All the programs!
UA is is offering me 1,000 PQM / 1 PQS for $140.

No thx.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Don't forget - they are much less likely to squeeze any money out of you after you cross the threshold. If they are going to spend that $0.0001 on an email to entice you to open your pursestrings, now is better than later and both are better than never!
Old May 15, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
At 75k and got the same offer. Was still offered PQMs at check-in last Christmas when I was at 150,000 PQM.

What I still don't get is why these don't earn PQD. It makes no sense. For a dollar you spend on a flight, they have to put you and an airplane up in the air for several hours. For a dollar you spend on straight PQM, they have to move some bits in a computer.

If these things earned PQD, you'd bet the uptake would be higher. Can anyone rationalize UA's marketing strategy here in giving PQS and PQM but no PQD?
Old May 15, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by tcp1
If these things earned PQD, you'd bet the uptake would be higher. Can anyone rationalize UA's marketing strategy here in giving PQS and PQM but no PQD?
I think there's still an aversion to allowing someone to buy higher status with a purchase that doesn't involve actually flying on a plane (at least prior to the January special offers for the previous year). Allowing the purchase of PQM's without counting toward PQD's assures that you spend some time on a plane. Of course you can knock out the requirement on one roundtrip flight. Take a GF "F" fare EWR-HKG (connecting ORD) for $28,000 and get 51,000 PQM's. Or "A" fare one way and "Z" fare back for $13,000 and get 34,000 PQM's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.