Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Storing bulkhead bag under your seat

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by dcfromdc
And when they took my headphones, I was quietly cursing myself for consciously choosing Row 1 during OLCI. But, it all worked out in the end and I really enjoyed that extra leg room.
Veering OT here, but some airlines (I know AC has this policy) don't allow personal headphones (even ear buds) to be used during TO/Landing at all due to "safety reasons". The onboard ones are allowed as the PA system overrides them. That said, I've never been asked to stow them anywhere but my lap.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold MM, Hertz PC, Hyatt Globalist
Not totally unrelated, but I was on a UA flight from EWR-LIS last month. Long story short, we were delayed two days due to a weather issue and my family and I were in the second to last row of Economy on a 757. I was in the aisle and the passenger in front of me could not find space for his backpack so he decided to shove it under his seat. I politely asked him to reconsider, and he did, putting it under the seat in front of him. That didn't stop him from reclining his seat for the entire flight (fully his right, I get it).
Old May 11, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every once in a while I have this happen but I have long legs and push the item forward from under the seat.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I was flying a CRJ-200 (Devil's Chariot), and chose row 2 as I didn't want to have to deal with the issues of sitting in the bulkhead on that a/c. A non-rev (she works in ABQ) was sitting in front of me, and decided she could put her bag under the seat, rather than in the bin. I pushed it forward with my foot... it was eventually out of my way. I was going to write to UA, but never did...
Old May 11, 2017, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Wow, I didnt expect so much response over this. I guess this is a much more interesting topic than I thought

Originally Posted by tcp1
Several times I have purposely brought NO carry ons to ensure I had legroom. If United is going to push the "the area under your seat is your primary storage area" crap, then if someone wants to keep it clear because they have nothing, that should be their right.

It's like how I get yelled at now and again for only bringing a small backpack and putting it in the overhead. Fine, if you're gonna force me to stuff it under the seat, I'll just bring a roll aboard next time even though I don't have to (which I've started doing, btw. Sorry.)
Actually, I remember in the past I considered that I get an underseat storage area and an overhead bin storage area which I can use as I see fit and if I go thorugh the hassle (or "pay") to check my bag, I should be allowed to store my laptop bag in the bin. Now they usually say the underseat area is your "primary" area and the overhead bins are only for rollaboards. That doesn't incentify me to go through the hassle of checking my bag. I still do check it because of the hassle of dragging it around everywhere.

Originally Posted by 747200f
No, that is definitely not OK. You are a nicer person than I am, as I would have told the FA to find another space. Never seen that before but I'm not surprised.
This was a 10pm flight and I had just flown a TCON. They had also just started pushing back and were getting ready to start the safety demo. Basically, I was tired and thought the bins were full. It wasn't til later that I recalled the bins weren't full but felt it wasn't the right time and shifted my focus to sleep. In my head, I had also thought that this would only last til we get to cruising altitude.

Originally Posted by thesun
I've never seen a FA put the bag under the seat or suggest that is the appropriate thing to do either. At least the bulkhead guy asked you if it was OK.
The only other time I saw this was on a 737. I stick my laptop bag under the bulkhead gap. My feet can barely reach it. The lady next to me had nothing and an FA put someone's bag there that wouldnt fit. They were rushing to get the flight out. The lady complained to the FA, that her equally sized bag was forced to be checked when she tried to board. Why should someone else be able to stick their bag there and she should be able to "uncheck" her bag and put it there instead. The FA said that was impossible and once the bag tag is on, it has to go below.

Originally Posted by sgfood
2. In 2F female passenger in 1F places a large bag under her seat taking up half my
foot space. I ask her to move it, tells me "well I need to access it". Fair enough, I
spent the flight using her Louis Vuitton as a shoe cleaner and a foot rest
This has happened to me once or twice. I recall pushing and angling their bag so it went back under their feet while pushing my bag in place. They usually don't notice til an FA sees it.

Originally Posted by TomMM
Every once in a while I have this happen but I have long legs and push the item forward from under the seat.
I would have done that if there wasn't FA involvement and the passenger didnt speak to me.

Originally Posted by dcfromdc
I'm very much in the "Let it slide" category. OPs post was well-balanced and fortunately he was dealing with a semi-considerate bulkhead passenger. If I were sitting in bulkhead in that situation, I might have gone one step further and said, "After the seatbelt sign is off, I'll grab it or see if there's space up top." I think intentionally leaving it in OP's footwell for the entire flight probably is a case of the bulkhead pax overstaying his welcome, if you will.
If I had been more awake and alert, (remembering the empty space), I probably would have just informed her of the empty space in the bin. Though, once on a very delayed flight, an FA took someone's bag saying "we're probably going to have to check it" while trying to rearrange 3 bags to make room. I pointed out a wider spot that would only require rotating one bag and spoke up trying to speed things up. The FA snapped bag at me "I think I know what I'm doing!", I may have mumbled "it doesnt seem like it", he said "just let me do my job" or something, and I decided to stop talking at this point. When I think back to this incident, I realize the FA could be much worse.

As for the 1A passenger, I have a feeling he fell asleep and forgot. After the flight, I saw he quickly grabbed his bag and said "thanks" to me. Had the 1A passenger not been so nice, that may have triggered a threshold for me to be more angered.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I've volunteered my underseat storage space when I see an FA trying to help a late-boarding passenger. I can see a time when I might need a similar favor.
Now that I think back, I recall an incident where there were too many checked bags so in order to "reduce weight" (reducing checked bag weight, not changing assumed adult+carryon weight). They moved many bags up into the cabin strapping them into empty seats and putting them under people's seats. I don't think I was affected that time though.

Originally Posted by PTahCha
I have gotten a battlefield upgrade in 1A before, after taken my seat in E+.
I would think someone that has high enough status to get upgraded flies enough to know about the bag storage rules in the bulkhead. Such a person would probably also board fairly early and probably be able to find space in the bin. I can see a paid F person that flies rarely not knowing this but that's were an attentive FA comes in.

Originally Posted by Allan38103
And in my assessment of people I'd like to sit with on a flight, I would rank you way ahead of the passenger who stands up for his "rights" and refuses to even consider allowing a bag to be put in "his" space.
Thanks! I have noticed lately that people suddenly will forget how to behave in public when they enter an airport.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
We're all in this flying thing together, eh?
I was on a midcon last week on a 737 on 7A and a lady ended up being moved to 7B next to me with a dog longer than 35in blocking the foot area to egress. FA's are ok with this but not with bags sticking out. She said the same thing to me trying to apologize for her dog. I will say I was pretty dissatisfied with that flight. Enough to write in to UA and complain but cabin animals have become a real pet peeve of mine. Plus I was #1 on the upgrade list so that stung a little.

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
... I was going to write to UA, but never did...
I was on the cusp of writing into UA. My previous flight was a TCON which I very rarely get upgraded on even with a RPU and I didn't get ice cream. I took two intl flights a month ago and also didn't get ice cream. I know its just ice cream but keep missing out and its really starting to annoy me. I wrote in about it to UA (along with several other issues with the intl flight) and they gave me $500. I wrote in the complain about the dog and how its a safety issue too and they gave me $300. I feel UA has been extremely generous lately (maybe due to the Dao thing). I was thinking "no ice cream again" + "lazy fa" maybe I should write in again but I decided not to. The FA seemed nice and didn't want to directly get her in trouble. They were considerate in some areas like not turning on the lights for the bev service. But also lazy in some areas, sitting in the galley on their phones. I'll see how my return flights go. If there's more issues, maybe the cumulative will reach my threshold to write in.

Originally Posted by Shamrock 105
... I were in the second to last row of Economy on a 757.
Never thought of this before, but I guess if you are in the last row, you can store your bag under your seat. Maybe the FA should have put the laptop bag there.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Follow up, just board return flight on cr7.

Sitting in 7A (#1 on the upgrade list). Arrive at my seat. 7B stuck his large backpack in my under seat storage. Luckily I find space for my bag in the over head. 7C took his green tag rollaboard and suck it under taking up nearly the whole space. 7D luckily has a large man purse that just fits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.