Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Kansas City woman says she was forced to urinate in a cup on United flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kansas City woman says she was forced to urinate in a cup on United flight

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
My Mom is an adult.
Yeah, the point is UA didn't treat their passenger like one. It was the epitome of UA considering passengers self loading cargo.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725
It sounds like she wanted to use the lav after landing but before the aircraft was parked at the gate.

If the airplane was on a taxiway, the flight attendants were correct and the passenger should not get much sympathy.
I don't get that impression. The statement listed about being told she couldn't use the lav until the seat belt sign was turned off "after landing" gives me the impression that they were still in the air, likely in decent. Though without clarification, the broader take would have to be somewhere from the decent to stopped short of the gate waiting for ground crew to finish pulling them in.

Originally Posted by milepig
She should have paid attention when they said "we'll be landing in a few minutes, this is a good time to go to the rest room". They do it on every flight I'm on.
This. I hear this on every flight, too.

Originally Posted by spin88
...and after Dao anything bad about United is news.
I'll rephrase to what seems to be happening - anything bad about United is bad news. Though other carriers are seeing it too now - Spirit at FLL, DL with the baby in a different kids seat, DL with the bathroom, AA with the stroller, etc....in fact an accusation of AA being racist is on the front of FT now.

Especially if they were in final descent, pax can not willy nilly ignore safety regs. Doesn't matter the carrier. While media uses this to pile on UA, it is not justified, IME. Seems to be a pax wanting to disregard not just any rule or policy, but a ˆsafety rule. Now let's say for fun, hypothetically they are in decent and pax goes to the bathroom anyway. On the way out, hits her head on the wall and gets a concussion. Sues UA, even though she was told she couldn't get up.

Airlines are in a lose-lose scenario.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe

Snip...

I'll rephrase to what seems to be happening - anything bad about United is bad news.

Airlines are in a lose-lose scenario.
How'd that happen? Wasn't always that way.
Why are the airlines this year's Comcast? Because they've treated they're customers with same arrogance and bad faith while hiding extremely one-sided contractual obligations from their customers.
Same short-sighted profit grab, same result.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
She also reports the FAs shamed her for her bladder-control problem, which I have no trouble imagining.
Really? I don't recall ever seeing a United FA shame someone for a health issue. Certainly there are some mean or grumpy FA's but based on my personal experience I find it hard to believe they "shamed" her.

That said, hard to comment on this without a lot of facts. Likely a combination of the passenger not planning appropriately for her condition and a surly FA.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:28 pm

Soon they'll have to start handing out adult diapers with boarding passes!

Seriously though, I can't imagine her peeing in a cup in front of everyone without it truly being an emergency. To fill up 2 cups though seems a bit much for someone with a bladder issue.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
You're kidding right? They give your Mom a paper cup and tell her to lift her skirt and pee in front of the other two people in her row....and you got nothing to say except "Good job!"
'kay....
No, if the aircraft is somewhere were passengers aren't allowed to be up, like under 10,000 feet or on an active taxiway, I would acknowledge that the FA is following the law by keeping the passenger seated.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Hard to say much when the story is short on details..

I was once in a similar situation. Thought I could wait until we arrived, and then our gate was occupied. After sitting parked on a taxiway (maybe the ramp I don't remember) for 15 minutes, I slid out of my seat and quickly used the lav. I didn't get any sort of reaction from the crew and didn't think much of it.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
My Mom is an adult.
It's okay to be insensitive, but not okay to insinuate that anyone who might suddenly and expectantly need to relief themselves is not an adult.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
Soon they'll have to start handing out adult diapers with boarding passes!

Seriously though, I can't imagine her peeing in a cup in front of everyone without it truly being an emergency. To fill up 2 cups though seems a bit much for someone with a bladder issue.
How does a woman even do this without removing the seatbelt and (with or without seatbelt) without getting urine on the seat/floor and her clothing? Did the FA provide both cups (disposable and unbreakable I hope) just for this purpose?
Old May 10, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
There's no winning here. The pax offered to pee in a cup, FA agreed that was probably the safest option for everyone in the cabin. As far as I can tell with the sparse details, both the pax and FA dealt with the situation in a reasonable manner.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789
There's no winning here. The pax offered to pee in a cup, FA agreed that was probably the safest option for everyone in the cabin. As far as I can tell with the sparse details, both the pax and FA dealt with the situation in a reasonable manner.

I feel like the other passengers who had to watch that should be entitled to at least some free miles.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I feel like the other passengers who had to watch that should be entitled to at least some free miles.
Perhaps tickets to Urine Town?
Old May 10, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Then don't look? Is urinating such a obscene and unnatural act that it deserves compensation?
Old May 10, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Sounds like the flight was in final descent, or already landed and taxiing to the gate. Either way the fasten seat belt sign is on and passengers need to be seated. Though I have seen passengers get up to use the bathroom in those flight phases and the crew said nothing.

Those who said she should have planned ahead, overactive bladder symptoms can come suddenly with no warning. Maybe she used the restroom earlier and had to go again. That woman had 3 options:
1) Use the bathroom after the FA told her to be seated, with the risks of doing so already discussed (ie injury, arrest, etc)
2) Pee in her pants
3) Pee in a cup
None are ideal, but option 3 is the least bad of those.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
She did not pee in a cup, she peed into a cup. Unless it was a mighty big cup, big enough to hold an adult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.