Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check bag through, SDC 2nd flight

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Check bag through, SDC 2nd flight

I have a flight AAA-BBB and another flight on a separate ticket BBB-CCC tomorrow. Would like to SDC BBB-CCC to allow an overnight in BBB, but have a bunch of bags I don't really need nor want to cart around in the interim.

My plan is to through-check my bags AAA-BBB-CCC, then when I land in BBB, SDC the BBB-CCC flight to the next day. Once I arrive in CCC (small one-gate airport) I'd grab my bags from the previous day's flight.

Any reason this wouldn't work?
Old May 8, 2017, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by raehl311
I have a flight AAA-BBB and another flight on a separate ticket BBB-CCC tomorrow. Would like to SDC BBB-CCC to allow an overnight in BBB, but have a bunch of bags I don't really need nor want to cart around in the interim.

My plan is to through-check my bags AAA-BBB-CCC, then when I land in BBB, SDC the BBB-CCC flight to the next day. Once I arrive in CCC (small one-gate airport) I'd grab my bags from the previous day's flight.

Any reason this wouldn't work?
You can't separate yourself from your bags. They're not supposed to be loaded to original BBB-CCC flight if you've removed yourself from that flight, even if they're tagged through. I'm not sure what happens - do they go to carousel or direct to bag office? If latter, I guess you get bag storage. If former, they'll eventually remove from carousel and store. Pick up next day? Maybe?

Edit - experience by other posters below suggests the checking of bags negates what you're trying to do.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 8, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Old May 8, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I've twice tried to do SDC at a stopover when I've checked bags, and both times been told it can't be done. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: 1K
Ive done this a few times.

An agent wont do it, but have had success using a kiosk.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BZRORG
Ive done this a few times.

An agent wont do it, but have had success using a kiosk.
Sure. Doesn't mean the bags necessarily go to CCC.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Sure. Doesn't mean the bags necessarily go to CCC.
True, but my bags have always shown up. I guess a user beware situ
Old May 8, 2017, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm not sure the advice on stopovers applies, these are two separate tickets. Technically the bags wouldn't even be tied to my reservation on the 2nd flight at all...

But even if they so pull the bags if I'm not on the flight that's fine as long as they EVENTUALLY get to CCC. I just don't want to lug them around for the day I'm in BBB.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I've gotten mixed messages when I tried to do this.

It IS possible, but you have to find an agent willing to possibly separate you from your bags. The last I was told is you need at least two hours prior to make the change.

I've done it a few times with SDC, and also on standby with checked bags, and it's never been an easy ask. Good luck

ps. the new texts notifying you which flight your bags arrived on is neat and helpful. my bags usually arrived way before me and it was nice knowing they were there.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to go with, it will be easy. I will just through check my bags and then change my second flight on a kiosk. Even if I have to talk to an agent, I don't know how they would know I had bags checked on a different PNR.

Well, the changing flights part at least - still have to get over the hurdle of through-checking the bags.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm going to go with, it will be easy. I will just through check my bags and then change my second flight on a kiosk. Even if I have to talk to an agent, I don't know how they would know I had bags checked on a different PNR.

Well, the changing flights part at least - still have to get over the hurdle of through-checking the bags.
Pretty sure the checking thru process flags the second PNR that bags have been checked. And as others have mentioned SDC is generally not allowed unless checked bags can be pulled.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Even if I have to talk to an agent, I don't know how they would know I had bags checked on a different PNR.
h no - if you check the bags on the flight to CCC the agent will absolutely know when your record is pulled up. And if the agent doesn't it's because you'll have to tell them at BBB and your bags won't be loaded until you do. Now, you *could* check to BBB and fail to collect them. UA will then pull and store the bags after you arrive. Then pick them up the next day and recheck them.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
SDC through the app, web and kiosk will not work if you have a bag checked. Once you have a bag tied to your name, it disallows it. Proof - last time I tried this, was on a single PNR with wife, but split at check in and we had 1 checkedbag (tied to me). Onboard, tried to SDC the second segment - nothing would show up for me, while the options we wanted showed up for her. This was all domestic.

we got an agent to eventually do it on arrival. Our bags were waiting when we arrived at destination. If you are flying domestically (OP doesn't mention that I can see), there is no PPBM, and your bags will fly without you. Proof of that - just last week was delayed on last IAH-PHX of the night (this was a connecting segment) and rather than wait and see when (or if) it would go, we asked to be rebooked in the morning. Upon arrival, message that bags were on an earlier flight and we picked them up from the bag office before bags from our flight were on the belt.

The question is whether UA tags bags to the second itinerary since the OP is on separate itinerary, and I don't know specifically how that works, but I'd guess they are added. An agent can certainly grant the OPs request - whether all are willing is going to be YMMV.
Old May 9, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Echoing experienced shared here. Once you check a bag, app won't allow it, I've never once had an agent allow it citing checked bags as the reason (likely tried ~10 different times), kiosk also hasn't allowed it.

As always YMMW, but if you get it done assume it's an exception - say thanks to the agent and happily walk away without complicating things. Be prepared to take your original flight (I wouldn't advocate "missing" it). I would definitely not say this is "easy".
Old May 9, 2017, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
h no - if you check the bags on the flight to CCC the agent will absolutely know when your record is pulled up. And if the agent doesn't it's because you'll have to tell them at BBB and your bags won't be loaded until you do. Now, you *could* check to BBB and fail to collect them. UA will then pull and store the bags after you arrive. Then pick them up the next day and recheck them.
There's no reason that the agent checking my bag through and any agent doing a SDC has to be the same person...

Originally Posted by emcampbe
SDC through the app, web and kiosk will not work if you have a bag checked. Once you have a bag tied to your name, it disallows it. Proof - last time I tried this, was on a single PNR with wife, but split at check in and we had 1 checkedbag (tied to me). Onboard, tried to SDC the second segment - nothing would show up for me, while the options we wanted showed up for her. This was all domestic.

we got an agent to eventually do it on arrival. Our bags were waiting when we arrived at destination. If you are flying domestically (OP doesn't mention that I can see), there is no PPBM, and your bags will fly without you. Proof of that - just last week was delayed on last IAH-PHX of the night (this was a connecting segment) and rather than wait and see when (or if) it would go, we asked to be rebooked in the morning. Upon arrival, message that bags were on an earlier flight and we picked them up from the bag office before bags from our flight were on the belt.

The question is whether UA tags bags to the second itinerary since the OP is on separate itinerary, and I don't know specifically how that works, but I'd guess they are added. An agent can certainly grant the OPs request - whether all are willing is going to be YMMV.
When United checks bags through on two separate flights, it really has nothing to do with your 2nd ticket.

They take the ticket for your first flight, then edit that ticket to add a segment that is the same as your second flight. Now you're booked in the 2nd flight twice. Then they check your bags through to your final destination, all on your initial ticket, print those tags and tag your bags. Once your tags have been printed, the agent pulls you back off the 2nd flight.

Anyway, I'm now on board my 1st flight, bags checked through to destination, and have already since changed my 2nd flight, so worked exactly as expected... Asked GA to check my bags through, which she did, then as soon as that was done got in my phone and changed the 2nd flight no problem.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
There's no reason that the agent checking my bag through and any agent doing a SDC has to be the same person...
I never said it had to be the same person.
Anyway, I'm now on board my 1st flight, bags checked through to destination, and have already since changed my 2nd flight, so worked exactly as expected... Asked GA to check my bags through, which she did, then as soon as that was done got in my phone and changed the 2nd flight no problem.
So there was no second agent. Good for you! Let us know how it ges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.