Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fit for the Runway - United Airlines Brings Fashion, Function and Comfort to the Friendly Skies

Airline partners with Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt to reimagine next generation of uniforms
Employees are integral part in every step of the new uniform creation
United partners with TUMI as official luggage provider for flight attendants

August 24, 2017

CHICAGO, Aug. 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines announced today that it has partnered with three world-class design and apparel companies – Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt – to inspire and create a new line of uniforms for the carrier's more than 70,000 front-line employees. Additionally, United will partner with TUMI, the leading international brand of premium travel, business and lifestyle accessories, to be the official luggage provider for all 24,000 flight attendants.

"The partners we've selected uniquely match what our employees asked for in a uniforms program – style, comfort and durability," said Kate Gebo, senior vice president of global customer service delivery and chief customer officer of United. "We recognized early on that this would not be a 'one size fits all' solution – front-line employees perform vastly different roles and deserve a uniform that meets their specific needs, created by leaders in the apparel business. Our United family is excited to see how these trusted and innovative brands will deliver world-class uniforms in close collaboration with our employees."

Committed to a best-in-class uniforms program, earlier this year the airline started what will be a multi-year process to ensure the proper amount of time for collaboration among employees, labor leadership and the partner brands as well as ample time to test uniforms before finalizing designs and materials. Working closely with labor leadership for all front-line teams, employee feedback will be used to inform every aspect of the design process, which will be followed by multiple thorough wear tests with employees to ensure optimal comfort and functionality of designs and materials. The process is structured to deliver comfortable, durable and fashionable uniforms that United's talented aviation professionals will feel proud to wear while performing their varied roles.

Based on employee feedback from focus groups, open houses and surveys, United identified a variety of distinct brands to meet the needs of employees and help deliver the company's next-generation uniform program. Over the last several months, Tracy Reese and representatives from Brooks Brothers and Carhartt met with employees at all of United's U.S. domestic hub locations. United anticipates rolling out new uniforms in 2020.
FA TUMI options
International Expandable 022020D2

International Carry-On 022560D2
Print Wikipost

Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by adambrau
Agree with you completely. I think the new uniforms will be great and a first step in rebuilding front line employee morale.
+1 as long as the employee's like the uniforms and find that they are comfortable... The worst thing possible would be a repeat of what has happened in the AA space
Old May 10, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Agree here. But all the talk about attitude, pride and more is, to say it mildly, misplaced. In the U.S. unionized airline staff does not work for the company but for the Union. That's where they get their marching orders from. Therefor they will give a hoot about friendliness, service with a smile or attention to the customer's needs. No uniform change will make a difference. And to make sure I am not anti Union, actually I don't care. I am lucky to live in a part of this world where excellent service provided with a warm smile is the norm.
Huh?

If you're referring to who employees take their direction from during labor disputes, ok I get that. But having worked for a union in my younger days, and during a labor dispute, I would say this is not my experience. I knew who I worked for, who paid my check, and who made my working conditions better or worse. Sure the union is your best friend when you're fighting for a contract, but the rest of the time I want the company to be my best friend. I didn't take my job, stay at my job, or enjoy my job because of the union. I have to think most UA employees recognize and understand that.

A new uniform isn't going to turn someone's attitude 180 degrees. But a sustained investment by a company in it's employees over time will create a relationship that results in happy employees and, if the company values it, better service. Picking at one little change and saying it's not enough or doesn't matter isn't looking at the big picture.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
I think this thread has taken a unpleasant turn with the thinly-veiled disparaging remarks about UA employees (who have no idea their appearances are being criticized by anonymous posters on an internet message board).
Agree. Some snarky, pretty ugly comments being made about the FA in this thread. Sickening actually.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Eadward
Agree. Some snarky, pretty ugly comments being made about the FA in this thread. Sickening actually.
I don't know what's "sickening." Compared to most international airlines, United's FAs deliver poor service and are frequently slovenly in appearance, independent of their uniforms. That's a simple fact.

The appearances are a reflection of the attitude that they don't give a rip about customers because they're protected by a union and their company in turn is protected by its oligopoly.

This isn't about age or even obesity. It's about taking the time to brush your hair, groom yourself, stand up straight, and take pride in your appearance. You do this reflexively when you take pride in your job and you want to please your public. When you're driven by a motivation to do as little work as possible and you don't give a rip, the appearances tend to follow that attitude. Ever notice how the heads of major charities all have great posture? Seriously.

Changing a uniform will not change anything. Start an incentive program for delivering top-notch service and promote people based on the quality of the service instead of "face-time" and you will see huge changes.

Last edited by porciuscato; May 10, 2017 at 9:05 am
Old May 10, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Sorry, but clothes do affect the attitude of their wearer; and even little or modest things matter. If clothes were unimportant to people's pride and self-worth, why does the fashion industry exist? We could all wear loose comfortable jumpsuits manufactured and designed by prison supply firms.

I know when I buy a killer new suit, I feel better about myself when I wear it. Call me shallow, but that is consumer psychology. If you look great, you feel great. And when you feel great, you perform better.

And even modest things matter. Remember when Gordon Bethune took over CO? Morale was in the dumps. He orders new planes (on credit from Boeing), and he gives employees a $100/month bonus for meeting customer satisfaction goals. With the same employee base, both service and the airline took off.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
United missed an opportunity to improve employee morale and create a more premium brand feel when it punted on the first post-merger inflight uniforms. This is a step in the right direction, and likely in the works for quite some time.
+1, but I don't think this has "been in the works" for a while. No Way Jeff's team did this. It has the hallmarks of Oscar "repair relations with employees" Muniz to it.

Those who advocated for cost cuts and "running united like a business" not only damaged the brand and drove away HVFers with their cheapness under Jeff, but they also killed employee moral, while at that same time making them literally feel uncomfortable while on the job.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is a widely specious argument - I don't see how dressing up someone who, for many years, was a jaded, disinterested, mean grouch who hates customers, will suddenly turn them 180 degrees into someone completely different?

If we want to rebrand, how about starting with new industry leading coach seats that offer state of the art comfort for long haul flights? Something customers can actually appreciate and identify with positive value?
I think UA needs to rehab its product, instead it is going the opposite direction, heading further down the path of the worst product and now an effort to knife its elites in back by charging them $30 +/- on every trip if they want to use their elite benefits rather than getting a BE fare.

But the link between comfortable and attractive uniforms and feeling good about yourself, and therefore providing good service is clear IMHO. The current uniforms are both not very attractive (the blue dress being the one semi-acceptation) and also having cheap uncomfortable fabrics.

On the other hand, do you think an uncomfortable, cheaply-made uniform that embodies unpopular era fraught with an adversarial employee-management relationship and aggressive cost cutting confers any positive customer service benefit?

Regardless, the company has a substantial annual uniform budget, so if a new design/style provides some positive motivation for even 5% of the workforce, IMO it's money well spent.
+1

Originally Posted by fly18725
You're right. Perhaps I should have said it is management's job to inspire pride and encourage positive attitudes.

Investing in and supporting employees contributes to this.
naah, we all know managements job it to maximize profits by cutting costs, offering less to passangers, and charging more through extra fees. Calling Hunter Keay, people around here near some education on running United like a "real business"
Old May 10, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by spin88
+1, but I don't think this has "been in the works" for a while. No Way Jeff's team did this. It has the hallmarks of Oscar "repair relations with employees" Muniz to it.

Those who advocated for cost cuts and "running united like a business" not only damaged the brand and drove away HVFers with their cheapness under Jeff, but they also killed employee moral, while at that same time making them literally feel uncomfortable while on the job.
Since there are now common contracts, this is a good time for management to invest more in employees. Like any commercial business, United should not be investing more into its employees or product than it can recover through incremental revenue. While it is cute to co-opt "running [U]nited like a business" as a cheap attack, the reality is that no airline can invest heavily in the domestic business as expected by some customers and expect to remain a going concern. The industry is being "run like a business" because management teams are focused on generating sustainable returns, rather than grabbing market share.

Originally Posted by spin88
naah, we all know managements job it to maximize profits by cutting costs, offering less to passangers, and charging more through extra fees. Calling Hunter Keay, people around here near some education on running United like a "real business"
There are periods of business cycles or in a company's life cycle where cost controls are critical. There are periods of time where greater investment is justified. For airlines, it all depends on what passengers will pay for.

There is a cost to study, design, and test new uniforms. In the scope of a company with $5.8B of salaries and $5.4B of 'other operating expenses,' the cost is minimal and well worth the employee engagement it creates. There's probably little to no additional cost to provide the new uniforms to employees as uniforms are regularly refreshed and replaced per contracts.

If United were run like a fake business, they'd decided to buy new economy seats instead of uniforms.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
While there are plenty of exceptional crew that deliver amazing service, taken in comparison with global carriers with which UA desires to compete, the service quality simply does not measure up. A customer's attitude should not be a prerequisite for good service - on most global airlines, it's not. Certainly, you get more with honey than vinegar, but it should not be incumbent on customers to leverage their attitudes as a prerequisite for receiving basic service standards, or service consistency.

I am also appalled at the behavior of many of my fellow passengers - however, that is a distinct and separate issue. I am more appalled with flying ANA and I see a westerner act like a rude, belligerent moron towards inflight crews, yet at the same time those crews still deliver the same exceptional level of service to that moron, as to me with my friendly smile, as it should be.

Frankly, I don't care so much about the appearance of FAs - hence my doubts that new uniforms will bring a cure for service shortcomings. Cash, on the other hand, would go a long way to reward staff who deliver great service along with other non-cash incentive awards, and also better tools and training so crews know what they must do, should do, or cannot do, and have the right tools and equipment - and better oversight to ensure poor performers are pulled out for retraining, coaching, monitoring, or if necessary, sadly, termination.

Delivering best in class service requires a commitment from the top down (which we don't seem to have), a clear and focused plan broadly communicated to all stakeholders on what needs to change, how and when (which we don't seem to have), and getting the right people on board to lead and influence change (which we don't seem to have). Since we're missing the essential organization tools for change, I highly doubt Brooks Brothers can pull it off on style alone.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 10, 2017 at 3:24 pm Reason: removed quote of deleted materials
Old May 10, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen

Frankly, I don't care so much about the appearance of FAs - hence my doubts that new uniforms will bring a cure for service shortcomings. Cash, on the other hand, would go a long way to reward staff who deliver great service along with other non-cash incentive awards, and also better tools and training so crews know what they must do, should do, or cannot do, and have the right tools and equipment - and better oversight to ensure poor performers are pulled out for retraining, coaching, monitoring, or if necessary, sadly, termination.
Bolding mine.

As passengers, we shouldn't care what the FA's are wearing, as long as it's not offensive. But do you care about what you wear? Do you feel better if you're wearing an Armani suit when meeting with your customer than if you were wearing jeans with holes? The new uniforms are not a new benefit for you or other customers, they're for UA employees, and feeling good about what you're wearing does impact the attitudes of many people.

I don't disagree with the rest of your statements, and would love to see an incentive system and some type of performance management system for those that don't meet standards. But these are mutually exclusive items. It's NOT uniforms OR training/management. And it's not JUST those two things. If UA wants (and I'm not sure they do) to be known as a customer-oriented company, there are dozens of small things to be implemented over time.

You've for some reason linked new uniforms to fixing "service shortcomings", and I just don't think that was UA's intent with this move.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JBord
You've for some reason linked new uniforms to fixing "service shortcomings", and I just don't think that was UA's intent with this move.
My intention is to point out that UA should be spending its money on improving service and operational shortcomings first - uniforms later. Unless Brooks Brothers is donating their services, I can't imagine this being less than a 7 figure project, plus the added financial burden to the employees themselves.

Now if Oscar had announced a new "Go Forward Plan" that included a top-down refresh of United's culture, goals and service performance, and new uniforms were just part of an overall rebranding and overhaul strategy, I would have no problem with the project - but in the absence of any investment in what we already know is broken, the project seems a little odd.

Of course with AA insisting on 29" in Y on its new 737s, a riot in FLL and a few more viral videos here and there, I imagine we will have a new version of the CAB soon enough, so maybe everything is moot in the end - who knows.

Last edited by bocastephen; May 10, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Old May 10, 2017, 3:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The topic is the plan to have new UA employee uniform, not the other posters or what you think of the other posters. Discussion of the other posters is not allowed by the FT rules and just sends the thread spiraling downward. So posts comment on the other posters have been removed.

Let's return to the thread's topic.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 10, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
All departments will be getting new uniforms. Male FAs, male CS, and male pilots will be by Brooks Brothers, Female FAs, female CS, and female pilots by Tracy Reese, and Ramp/Tech Ops/Catering from CarHartt.
------
Yeah, got a chance to look at the employee website and I expected that. I also looked at the TracyReese website and Google photos of TracyReese fashions and frankly I do not like her styles. They just don't look sharp, just a bunch of flouncy, very loose-flowing dresses and loose, almost too-casual clothing and a lot of big flowery wallpaper prints. Betsy Johnson ???
Of course I know she has probably barely sketched anything in the way of FA uniforms but I hope UAL did not make a mistake choosing her, though it says that she will partner with Brooks Brothers on the uniforms. Hopefully this means that all uniforms (male and female crew and ground staff) will be manufactured in the same place - not parts and pieces from around the world (China, India, Vietnam) ?
Old May 11, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Interesting, I just learned that Zac Posen is Brooks Brothers' creative director for women's mainline collection and accessories. He's also the designer of Delta's latest uniforms. I wonder if that played a part in selecting a different designer for United's women's uniforms.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:26 pm

new uni's at least show us mgmt is at least listening to us, esp since everyone knew cintas was not a gq type brand from day one.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 11, 2017 at 6:09 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
United FAs to get TUMI luggage

To match the new uniforms from Brooks Bros. and Tracy Reese, FAs will be getting TUMI bags. No pictures yet, but they should be shipping at the end of the fall. Good reaction so far from what I've seen/heard.

I know it's not necessarily directly relevant to most travelers' experience, but IMO, happy crews are usually the better crews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.