Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider

Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fit for the Runway - United Airlines Brings Fashion, Function and Comfort to the Friendly Skies

Airline partners with Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt to reimagine next generation of uniforms
Employees are integral part in every step of the new uniform creation
United partners with TUMI as official luggage provider for flight attendants

August 24, 2017

CHICAGO, Aug. 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines announced today that it has partnered with three world-class design and apparel companies Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt to inspire and create a new line of uniforms for the carrier's more than 70,000 front-line employees. Additionally, United will partner with TUMI, the leading international brand of premium travel, business and lifestyle accessories, to be the official luggage provider for all 24,000 flight attendants.

"The partners we've selected uniquely match what our employees asked for in a uniforms program style, comfort and durability," said Kate Gebo, senior vice president of global customer service delivery and chief customer officer of United. "We recognized early on that this would not be a 'one size fits all' solution front-line employees perform vastly different roles and deserve a uniform that meets their specific needs, created by leaders in the apparel business. Our United family is excited to see how these trusted and innovative brands will deliver world-class uniforms in close collaboration with our employees."

Committed to a best-in-class uniforms program, earlier this year the airline started what will be a multi-year process to ensure the proper amount of time for collaboration among employees, labor leadership and the partner brands as well as ample time to test uniforms before finalizing designs and materials. Working closely with labor leadership for all front-line teams, employee feedback will be used to inform every aspect of the design process, which will be followed by multiple thorough wear tests with employees to ensure optimal comfort and functionality of designs and materials. The process is structured to deliver comfortable, durable and fashionable uniforms that United's talented aviation professionals will feel proud to wear while performing their varied roles.

Based on employee feedback from focus groups, open houses and surveys, United identified a variety of distinct brands to meet the needs of employees and help deliver the company's next-generation uniform program. Over the last several months, Tracy Reese and representatives from Brooks Brothers and Carhartt met with employees at all of United's U.S. domestic hub locations. United anticipates rolling out new uniforms in 2020.
FA TUMI options
International Expandable 022020D2

International Carry-On 022560D2
Print Wikipost

Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider

Old May 8, 2017, 3:18 pm

JOSECONLSCREW28, why would you call out only male FAs?

All employees are getting new uniforms.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Everyone is so angry. Good for UA. It boost employees morale, and in the long run helps customer service.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't fly DL internationally often, but my domestic experiences have been night and day better than UA, and food is a specific area where Delta was outshining UA by a wide, wide margin. Operationally, I just chalk it up that everyone stinks - but how they handle issues is where the airlines stand apart. On my SEA LAX segment last week where DL served a full hot lunch with two choices in a massive, tray-table-bending serving on a mainline aircraft including a 'big screen' Delta Studio for IFE, our long delayed flight was handled by proactive rebooking and protection for impacted customers while we were in the air so no one had to scramble in a panic on arrival.

Another key difference - consistency. DL crews offer a more predictable, standardized service delivery with a consistently professional if not friendly attitude while my UA experiences are completely hit and miss, running from stellar to scary.

What this tells me is Delta has invested in product, training, technology and enablement - something that UA should have in spades, but unfortunately lacks by a wide margin.

If uniforms will help close this gap, I'm all for it - but for me, I just see lipstick being applied to a you-know-what. Also, unlike the burlap sacks AA bought for its crew members, sending them into sweaty, itching fits, I don't recall much complaining from UA crews about uniform quality.
First off, I'm not trying to come at this with a "you're wrong, UA is the best" attitude---they are far from it. Of course every flt, every experience can be different and I'm sure a lot of it depends on what markets you are flying as well. If you are comparing SEALAX, DL wins hands down...heck even WN is better than UA unless they finally scheduled mainline or E175s.

The bulk of my flying is STLSAN;
DL experience:
if I'm flying DL I'll route STLMSPSAN (I'll jump at any chance for a MD90). In my experience out of STL, DL 4 out of 5 times has been late/delayed but that usually is for flights leaving in the morning or afternoon. MSPSAN is a lunch/dinner flight and in the past 6 months the food being offered has gone downhill in both portion and quantity (eliminating the cheese and dessert sides). As for IFE, since usually its 319/320 or MD90s, I have my iPad so the Delta Studio is so-so (UA seems to have more free movie options) but it gets the job done.

UA experience
STLSFO is aircraft roulette 319/320/738/E-175. I prefer the Airbuses but the 738 or E-175 isn't that bad. Haven't had too many issues out of STL for delays, usually its exSFO. Food has been pretty good but the quantity seems to depends on whether it's double-catered as well. Either way it's usually a full hot meal. IFE is either wifi or DirectTV.

I guess when push comes to shove....I don't see that much of a difference. I've been delayed on both, I've been rerouted on both. Either way I haven't had either carrier go out of their way for me when it comes to IrregularOps. I've also carted 2 kids under 3 on both...maybe DL has an advantage because I can get special meals, but I can't say that either has been significantly that much better......ok well maybe DL wins for the MD90s....but then again MileagePlus award redemption isn't 60,000 miles for a one-way F like SkyMiles so the advantage is UA there.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fly18725
How much time and money do you think is being invested in new uniforms and what could that time and money be used for instead?
New ice cream bowls. For the over 100 international locations served by UA on Polaris-equipped flights.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Eadward
Yes I always love these comments that when something good is being done that instead something else should be done. Adds so much value.
When a company has major, major service problems, any sort of trivial and diversionary changes (like uniforms and livery) begs the question: "why don't you take care of the really big problems that matter first?" It suggests that the company either lacks focus or is opting for show rather than substance.

If employee appearances are truly a concern, the money would be better spent on free gym and weight-watcher memberships. That would probably enhance safety too.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
All departments will be getting new uniforms... Female FAs, female CS, and female pilots by Tracy Reese.
Hopefully the new female uniforms will mark the return of the flight attendant hats. It is very tacky and disrespectful to the historical legacy of commercial aviation not to offer the option of a hat. In my experience, FAs that wore hats offered significantly better than average customer service.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Good for the FA's. As someone who would NEVER want to wear a uniform to work, I hope they are comfortable and enjoy wearing them.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by jsl42
Hopefully the new female uniforms will mark the return of the flight attendant hats. It is very tacky and disrespectful to the historical legacy of commercial aviation not to offer the option of a hat. In my experience, FAs that wore hats offered significantly better than average customer service.
Yeah, and let's bring back the smoking section, too.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
This is a brilliant move by United. Even if it won't be rolled out anytime soon, it's a sign to employees that they're fixing a mistake from years past.

Sure, it's like all the Smisek era cuts, is one thing on its own going to make a difference? Probably not. But when Delta already has the best looking uniforms of the Big 3, and they're 10 years old, and they're redoing them, UA needs to boost morale and show a more professional appearance. Hopefully they don't cheap out like the did last time.

DL's new female FA uniform. Note the matching bag and gloves:

Old May 8, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
No match for the LH seasonal uniforms during Oktoberfest

Old May 8, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
I don't get it, why change those lovely dark blue shapeless dresses they brought out a few years ago? I mean just because carriers like Virgin, Alitalia, Emerates, Air New Zealand have their crew looking really sharp...... Yes, I am kidding. The look presented by UA staff is appalling, especially compared to other long haul foreign carries.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gene2632
I don't get it, why change those lovely dark blue shapeless dresses they brought out a few years ago? I mean just because carriers like Virgin, Alitalia, Emerates, Air New Zealand have their crew looking really sharp...... Yes, I am kidding. The look presented by UA staff is appalling, especially compared to other long haul foreign carries.
I would say every US carrier uniform look is appalling, even Delta - except the skinny ladies who can pull off the red coat.

Delta, American, Alaska, United - their uniforms are all pretty much variations on the same theme - short sleeve or long sleeve t-shirts, sweaters, polyester stretchy pants, etc.

I wore a variation of the same uniform when I worked at a Shell gas station in high school.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

A more important investment is technology and tools - another area where United falls dramatically behind Delta. Why not equip employees with more advanced and useful tools to help them do their jobs and deliver on these new service promises? Isn't that a more useful investment in "people"?
Originally Posted by porciuscato
When a company has major, major service problems, any sort of trivial and diversionary changes (like uniforms and livery) begs the question: "why don't you take care of the really big problems that matter first?" It suggests that the company either lacks focus or is opting for show rather than substance.

If employee appearances are truly a concern, the money would be better spent on free gym and weight-watcher memberships. That would probably enhance safety too.
Did I miss the part of Jose's post that mentioned everything else that goes on in the company is suffering at the cost of or coming to a screeching halt because of new uniforms?
Old May 9, 2017, 1:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
hmmm....because crew uniforms are the most pressing problem faced by United today?

I can think of countless things the company should be investing in before new uniforms, which are not that old to begin with.
A 'pressing' problem indeed!
Old May 9, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
You can please some of the people some of the time...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.