Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Increases Service Between San Francisco and 18 Destinations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 9:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Being SFO based this looks good (Not all of these are "new" announcements. The "new destinations" later in PR had previously been announced - as noted)

The Bay Area's leading U.S. carrier offers customers more flights and larger aircraft to popular destinations in the U.S. and Canada

SAN FRANCISCO, May 8, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines (UAL), the leading carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area, today announced it is increasing the number of flights between SFO and eight destinations. Additionally, the airline announced it will convert select regional jet flights to larger mainline aircraft in ten markets. These schedule enhancements build on previously announced new service from SFO to seven U.S. cities beginning June 8.

"Every day in San Francisco we proudly welcome more than 30,000 customers aboard United Airlines and today's announcement demonstrates our commitment to being the Bay Area's leading U.S. airline," said Mike Hanna, United's vice president of its San Francisco International Airport hub. "These additional flights and larger aircraft to new cities and those already part of our network will offer customers even more convenient flight options and easy connections to popular destinations around the U.S. and Canada."

Adding additional flights between SFO and 8 destinations

Code:
City Pair          Increasing  service to   Beginning  Aircraft type
SFO - Seattle (SEA)         10 flights daily	Aug. 1	A320
SFO - Albuquerque (ABQ)      2 flights daily	Aug. 15	EMB-175
SFO - Baltimore (BWI)        2 flights daily	Aug. 15	A319
SFO - Indianapolis (IND)     2 flights daily	Aug. 15	A319
SFO - Kansas City (MCI)      3 flights daily	Aug. 15	EMB-175
SFO - Nashville (BNA)        2 flights daily	Aug. 15	A319
SFO - Philadelphia (PHL)     3 flights daily	Aug. 15	A319
SFO - Portland (PDX)         9 flights daily	Aug. 15	A319
Larger aircraft on daily service between SFO and 10 cities

Code:
SFO to	                Starts	Aircraft
Burbank (BUR)	        June 8	B737
Calgary, AB (YYC)	June 8	A320
Dallas (DFW)	        June 8	A320
Kansas City (MCI)	June 8	A320
Minneapolis (MSP)	June 8	A320
Palm Springs (PSP)	June 8	B737
Santa Barbara (SBA)	June 8	A319
Bozeman (BZN)	        July 1	A320
Sacramento (SMF)	July 1	B737
Fresno (FAT)	        Aug. 15	B737
Service to Bozeman, Montana; Kansas City, Missouri; and Calgary, Alberta, are seasonal mainline flights for the summer.

New and expanded service between SFO and 7 cities starting June 8

United previously announced service to new destinations starting June 8. The new routes bring nonstop service to more cities, giving customers more convenient travel options to some of the country's largest cities and beyond.
Code:
SFO to	                Starts	    Schedule     Aircraft
Cincinnati (CVG)        June 8      Year-round, daily A320
Detroit (DTW)	        June 8      Year-round, daily A320
Hartford (BDL)	        June 8      Seasonal, daily through Sept. 5 B737
New Orleans (MSY)	June 8      Adding summer  service and expanding to year-round, daily   B737
Santa Rosa (STS)	June 8      Year-round, daily CRJ
Spokane (GEG)	        June 8      Year-round, daily E175
Kalispell (FCA)	        July 1      Seasonal, daily  through Sept. 5 CRJ
United has approximately 300 daily departures to nearly 100 destinations from San Francisco, more than any other carrier in the Bay Area.

New trans-Atlantic service

Earlier this year, United announced new service to 31 destinations across the U.S. and Europe, including new seasonal service between San Francisco and Germany. Starting May 24, for the first time ever, United will launch nonstop, seasonal service between San Francisco and Munich (MUC). The route will be operated with one of the most advanced passenger airplanes, the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, which delivers unprecedented operating efficiency, comfort and lower emissions.

From San Francisco, United offers year-round, nonstop trans-Atlantic service to destinations including, Frankfurt (FRA), London (LHR), Paris (CDG) and Tel Aviv (TLV).

There is no change to United's full-year 2017 capacity guidance.

San Francisco International Airport, United's gateway to the Asia Pacific

United flies nonstop to more destinations in Asia than any other U.S. carrier from San Francisco International Airport, United's gateway to the Asia Pacific. The airline provides U.S. travelers with convenient access to some of the most dynamic cities throughout Asia and gives travelers access via San Francisco for onward convenient connections to destinations throughout the United States, Canada and Latin America.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2017 at 9:55 am Reason: formatting
Old May 8, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
That 2nd Baltimore flight will help. Right now no option but take a red-eye or 1-stop.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
That 2nd Baltimore flight will help. Right now no option but take a red-eye or 1-stop.
Agreed. However, I wonder if this will eliminate the LAX-BWI / BWI-LAX flight that operates.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
737 sfo-smf will be fun!
Old May 8, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Upgauging E175s to mainline on SFO-BUR is pointless so long as all the CR2 frequencies are still there.

Otherwise, it's still welcome to see UA hold steady. Obviously a lot of these increases/adds to medium-size markets is response to AS/VX doing the same.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Interesting to see UA responding to the AS/VX push at SFO. And while I am glad to see them adding flights ex-SFO, I look at the A/C types (mostly A319/A320) with the worse F/Y ratios and the worst Y seats (the horrible Racaro seats, see Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)) in the fleet. Quick feed back: 1.6% of FTers "love'm", 9.6% say they are "ok", 21% "really don't like them", and 48.2% "hate them"

Sorry, the chance that I am going to fly United to PHL on those seats is zero. Perhaps if there is a good F price, but then with only eight F seats, there are not only no upgrades, but likely not good F pricing either. Also no way I am going to fly United up to Seattle on one of these birds.

United can add flights, but after Jeff put in place the worst hard product of any major airline, someone getting on a UA flight, after flying DL or AA let alone VX will go "oh boy, these guys are in the stone age, and made their seats out of stone."
Old May 8, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I wonder how these increased flights will fare with the runway reconstruction ongoing at SFO? Sounds like more aircraft movements = more delays in the short term, at any rate.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by spin88

Sorry, the chance that I am going to fly United to PHL on those seats is zero. Perhaps if there is a good F price, but then with only eight F seats, there are not only no upgrades, but likely not good F pricing either.
Yea, although the increased frequency between SFO and PHL is good news (for Philly to get any attention from UA is unusual), I was really hoping as well to see an upgrade in the equipment used on these routes. Right after the merger, they were using CO 737s, but eventually went back to the A319s.
A transcontinental flight on a 319 is no fun!

I also still wish they would bring back direct PHL-LAX flights!
Old May 8, 2017, 10:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by transportprof
I wonder how these increased flights will fare with the runway reconstruction ongoing at SFO? Sounds like more aircraft movements = more delays in the short term, at any rate.
Most of the work will be done prior to the start of the "new" increased service announcements (August dates). The "work schedule" is mostly done in mid-June and "finished" in July 10th. At least that is the schedule.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Presumably the aircraft being used for these new/increased routes come at the expense of at least some existing routes and/or downgauges of aircraft. I wonder which ones those are.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
expect a new international route from LAX to be announced before the end of the month (that's all i've heard; i have no further info).

SFO-BDL, which was announced months ago as a seasonal route, is a significant litmus test for BDL and the CT aviation authority. having the route go year-round would be a big win. CAA is waiving landing fees and spending "up to" $200k to promote the flight.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Presumably the aircraft being used for these new/increased routes come at the expense of at least some existing routes and/or downgauges of aircraft. I wonder which ones those are.
Why do you say that? A319s and 737s are trickling in, along with EMB175s ...
Old May 8, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
The battle for SFO increases even more. Impressive and shows how much harder UA is competing for their hubs.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Nothing in this announcement about SFO-BOS? Huh.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by riphamilton
expect a new international route from LAX to be announced before the end of the month (that's all i've heard; i have no further info).
That's exciting news! Especially after the 2nd LHR frequency was announced/then cxld. Curious if it is TATL (FRA) or TPAC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.