Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The First Class Refreshments Basket but no "meal" for 2 hour flight?

The First Class Refreshments Basket but no "meal" for 2 hour flight?

Old May 24, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
This is sort of a digression from the topic, but does UA make an effort to fill the basket with food items all made in the US? It appears to be the case, which is an interesting push. Wonder if that even includes the bananas.
I doubt it. Stroopwafels were available on my last flight earlier this month, and those are definitely not American. Also seen Biscoffs on accation. But now that you mention it, many do seem to be US. Not surprising since we are in the US.

I do wish I could find the Dancing Deer cookies again, but haven't seen them in a long time.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I doubt it. Stroopwafels were available on my last flight earlier this month, and those are definitely not American. Also seen Biscoffs on accation. But now that you mention it, many do seem to be US. Not surprising since we are in the US.

I do wish I could find the Dancing Deer cookies again, but haven't seen them in a long time.
Good point, although I believe the stroopwafels are not standard for the snack basket. As for Biscoff, I haven't seen those in nearly a decade (on UA)!
Old May 24, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
I've seen both Biscoff and Stroopwafels in the snack baskets in the past month.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Waldofriend
Just booked a flight from YVR-LAX departing at 2PM with a travel time listed of 3 hours 9 minutes. They list 'Refreshments' under Meal - but they probably figure everyone will head to In-N-Out as soon as they land at LAX so why bother? Interestingly, AirCanada has a 2:15 departure to LAX and their website says 'meal'.
I've been the fortunate recipient of an op-up on AC579 (LAX-YYC), which leaves after 8pm and they had a whole meal service.

IIRC, IAH-MEX gets a meal service and that's only 770 miles, as well as LAX-SJD which is around 900 miles.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Last week I did EWR-LAS... a 5.5 hour flight only offered a a snack basket.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
Last week I did EWR-LAS... a 5.5 hour flight only offered a a snack basket.
Are you sure that wasn't a LAS-EWR redeye? All of the EWR-LAS frequencies in the current schedule are at times where meals are served.
Two Bee likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Micp3208
The basket is pretty pathetic with no snacks I really like. I would prefer the Stroopwaffel or snack mix found in the economy cabin on longer flights. To me, it seems that everyone wants the basket but mainly just to look because there is nothing they want!
You can request something from the back. I've seen people grab from the basket AND get something from the back. Sometimes in the last row when the choice in the basket has dwindled, the FA will even proactively offer something from the back.

I do agree though, if they have time to heat up a muffins in an oven for a morning flight, they should have time to give you an appetizer or small sandwich. I remember before (on delta or NW I think), they'd have food boxes at the gate that you'd pickup as you boarded. I think it would have a sandwich with some chips and a cookie
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:53 pm

What kind of food should I expect for SFO to YVR flight? The flight departs at 7.38 PM and flight time is 2 Hr. 22 min. I am upgraded into United Business and the meal shows "None".
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
UA used to offer a full hot dinner service ("Would you prefer steak or chicken?") IAD-BOS on the DC-10. EA also served a hot dinner on the 727 DCA-BOS. It can be done. It's the airline's choice not to do it.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RandD
What kind of food should I expect for SFO to YVR flight? The flight departs at 7.38 PM and flight time is 2 Hr. 22 min. I am upgraded into United Business and the meal shows "None".
The flight status shows "dinner" when I just checked it now (for tonight's flight).
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by tstauck
The flight status shows "dinner" when I just checked it now (for tonight's flight).
Thanks for checking. That's a relief. Readng at this thread made me concern about food option inflight.
tstauck likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.