Wiki Posts
Search

UA 1925 EWR-SKB: The Dog Plane

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; WN A-List; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; National EE
UA 1925 EWR-SKB: The Dog Plane

And I thought you all were exaggerating about the explosion of emotional support animal use...

Just boarded UA 1925 from EWR-SKB. There are no fewer than 25 dogs in the cabin. And not all are the tiny purse-dog variety-- there are many German Shepards and other large dogs included.

Apparently there is a big veterinary school in St. Kitts and many of the pax are traveling back to the school.

I'm sure others have experienced this to SKB, but this is a first for me. It's a good thing I'm not allergic to dogs. This could be an interesting flight!
Old May 6, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Sounds like fun -- or the beginning of a Disney movie! But then again I can't resist any kind of pup.

Here's hoping they don't encounter any digestive issues during the flight.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: UA GS
So UA isn't following their on rules on the maximum number of pets in the cabin?
  • Two pets per flight are allowed in our premium cabins on select aircraft. Pets are not permitted in our premium cabins on Boeing 747, 757, 767, 777 or 787 aircraft due to limited storage space under the seat.
  • Four pets per flight are allowed in United Economy® on all United flights.
    • A customer traveling with an in-cabin pet in United Economy on Boeing 757-200 aircraft will need to be seated in a window seat due to limited storage space under aisle and middle seats.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
So UA isn't following their on rules on the maximum number of pets in the cabin?
  • Two pets per flight are allowed in our premium cabins on select aircraft. Pets are not permitted in our premium cabins on Boeing 747, 757, 767, 777 or 787 aircraft due to limited storage space under the seat.
  • Four pets per flight are allowed in United Economy® on all United flights.
    • A customer traveling with an in-cabin pet in United Economy on Boeing 757-200 aircraft will need to be seated in a window seat due to limited storage space under aisle and middle seats.
United doesn't count service/emotional support animals as pets. The page even shows they'll be allowed on flights where pets are not.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
United doesn't count service/emotional support animals as pets. The page even shows they'll be allowed on flights where pets are not.
Makes no sense to me. Pet is pet when things like emergency evacuations and other safety rules come to play
Old May 6, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Sounds like fun -- or the beginning of a Disney movie!
LMAO Thank you
Old May 6, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Makes no sense to me. Pet is pet when things like emergency evacuations and other safety rules come to play
I've been wondering before how a bag in bulkhead is an evacuation hazard but a support animal (emotional or otherwise) isn't.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I've been wondering before how a bag in bulkhead is an evacuation hazard but a support animal (emotional or otherwise) isn't.
Perhaps because suitcases don't have four legs and four feet and suitcases are not self-propelled. Dogs are no more an "evacuation hazard" than are fellow passengers.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Perhaps because suitcases don't have four legs and four feet and suitcases are not self-propelled. Dogs are no more an "evacuation hazard" than are fellow passengers.
Has that been scientifically tested?
Old May 6, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Not true. See:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m...l-technology#/
Old May 6, 2017, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Dogs are no more an "evacuation hazard" than are fellow passengers.
I doubt this is true in a real evac scenario. Alas, the FAA does not require testing for such.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:01 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I wonder what would happen if there was a cat on the flight
Old May 7, 2017, 6:37 am

I think there needs to be real, legit certification of "emotional support animals"--similar to what guide dogs get. There are too many people who buy a tag on the internet and just bring their animals everywhere. I was shopping the other day and this animal on a looong leash had its nose in everything--including food!
Old May 7, 2017, 6:48 am

Of course it makes no sense because the entire emotional support animal thing makes no sense. You just go online, pay a small fee, and instantly, any animal is an "emotional support" animal. It's ridiculous
Old May 7, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I would like to see them attempt a legal, 90-second evacuation of a 739 or similar with 25 golden retrievers involved. it would be equally ridiculous and fatal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.