Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
There are no complimentary upgrades on "Polaris" or premium transcon service or Hawaii (to/from ORD/EWR/IAD/IAH) flights for elites. Elites need to support their upgrades with Plus Points or miles+copay. A complete table is here

Some international flights are CPU eligible (mainly North American)

On very rare occasions if a lower cabin is overbooked, some passengers (usually by elite status) will be operational upgraded (op-up'ed)
Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

did united ever offer complimentary upgrades on international routes?

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum

Hi everyone,

I've not flown internationally with United since before the merger with Continental and am trying to understand the new upgrade procedures. I am Gold Status (as a result of the 1MM highflying days) and will be flying from IAD to Tokyo (NRT). Does United still give complimentary upgrades? I understand my chances are slim to none since I am no longer a 1K but just curious whether this is even done anymore.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lianluo
I am Gold Status (as a result of the 1MM highflying days) and will be flying from IAD to Tokyo (NRT). Does United still give complimentary upgrades?
United has never given complimentary upgrades on intercontinental flights.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Hi everyone,

I've not flown internationally with United since before the merger with Continental and am trying to understand the new upgrade procedures. I am Gold Status (as a result of the 1MM highflying days) and will be flying from IAD to Tokyo (NRT). Does United still give complimentary upgrades? I understand my chances are slim to none since I am no longer a 1K but just curious whether this is even done anymore.
There are no complimentary upgrades on TPAC flights. Gold does get you lounge access at both IAD and NRT.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
No comp upgrade for intercontinental flights. Your gold status allows you free access to UA/ Star Alliance lounge when flying same-day international flight.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies all. I did used to get automatic upgrades between HNL and NRT years ago 2007-2010 time frame. Used my Systemwide Upgrades when I had them, but 99% of the time was upgraded...but I was 1k back then. As I recall it, I requested it online and they would take some miles, but no copay (so yes, I suppose that wasn't complimentary, but it usually only cost me 10K miles). Once got upgraded twice, from Economy to Business, then as I walked past the gate agent, she stopped me and handed me a ticket to Intl First (NRT - SFO). They probably needed the space and I wasn't about to complain. :-)

These days I am just happy that I can get access to Economy Plus.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....As I recall it, I requested it online and they would take some miles, but no copay (so yes, I suppose that wasn't complimentary, but it usually only cost me 10K miles). ...
Mileage upgrades on full fare economy Y/B fares then and now can be done with miles only. It is up to 20K or 30K miles now.
But mileage upgrades on discounted fares require more miles and co-pays. And in the past most discount fare were not eligible for mileage upgrades.

But since miles were required, it was not complimentary.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Mileage upgrades on full fare economy Y/B fares then and now can be done with miles only. It is up to 20K or 30K miles now.
But mileage upgrades on discounted fares require more miles and co-pays. And in the past most discount fare were not eligible for mileage upgrades.

But since miles were required, it was not complimentary.
Ah that's right, I used to fly primarily YCA flights. Oh well, those days are in the past, can't see having another job that requires me to fly that much anymore, and I miss it! Oh well, can't complain, I found tickets on UA from Dulles to NRT for 700.00! Economy Plus will just have to do!

Thanks again for the replies, I'm rusty on my FF info..used to be up on all the latest when I was flying alot. Now I'm virtually a Kettle!
Old May 4, 2017, 6:29 pm

united complimentary upgrade when International / Polaris First is open?

i'm flying SFO->PEK tomorrow. first class is completely open, with no seats booked an no one on the upgrade list. does United ever upgrade anyone from bus to first on their own in a case like this?
Old May 4, 2017, 6:46 pm

No. CPUs are domestic only.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
If both economy and business cabins are overbooked, United will move some business pax to First. Operational upgrade happens very often on SFO-PEK route, according to my friend living in the Bay area. Good luck.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's blocked to 6, so there may be some op-ups to clear space in the business cabin. Op-ups would likely be done by status, GS then 1K.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:08 pm

thanks everyone. I'm GS, so maybe there's a chance
Old May 4, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dag16
Good luck and have fun regardless of whether you end up sitting in FC or business.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dag16
I think there is then.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bear in mind that the OPUP is only to avoid an oversale, so even if J is overbooked, that does not mean an oversale. All it takes is one J misconnect and the need to OPUP someone goes away.

I also question whether if F is truly empty and there are no nonrevs to fill it, whether UA will OPUP someone before it downgrades someone on an award or GPU to Y (presuming space in Y).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.