Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
There are no complimentary upgrades on "Polaris" or premium transcon service or Hawaii (to/from ORD/EWR/IAD/IAH) flights for elites. Elites need to support their upgrades with Plus Points or miles+copay. A complete table is here

Some international flights are CPU eligible (mainly North American)

On very rare occasions if a lower cabin is overbooked, some passengers (usually by elite status) will be operational upgraded (op-up'ed)
Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

did united ever offer complimentary upgrades on international routes?

Print Wikipost

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Old May 4, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Often1
I also question whether if F is truly empty and there are no nonrevs to fill it, whether UA will OPUP someone before it downgrades someone on an award or GPU to Y (presuming space in Y).
If J is oversold, UA will op-up into F before revoking confirmed upgrades.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by findark
If J is oversold, UA will op-up into F before revoking confirmed upgrades.
One would hope, unless there's a rogue GA who wants to take care of his/her family and friends in the extended sense.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
I also question whether if F is truly empty and there are no nonrevs to fill it, whether UA will OPUP someone before it downgrades someone on an award or GPU to Y (presuming space in Y).
Absolutely zero chance of that. They will op-up to F. That's why it's currently blocked to 6.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:10 pm

The upgrade list says 0 booked, +6 blocked. I have never seen that blocked before. What does that mean, they won't go over 6 upgrades? I was on an ana flight last month which had two open first class pods, and they wouldn't let me use an upgrade even though I tried for more than a month..
Old May 4, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dag16
The upgrade list says 0 booked, +6 blocked. I have never seen that blocked before. What does that mean, they won't go over 6 upgrades? I was on an ana flight last month which had two open first class pods, and they wouldn't let me use an upgrade even though I tried for more than a month..
It means that 6 seats in F are blocked for a possible oversale from J. On a three-class flight, UA will oversell the J cabin if there are seats available in F, but won't oversell J + F.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
In terms of op-up, there is no scientic data and just my personal experience:

I have never been op-up on oversold J flights when I am on the upper deck, but I have an excellent record being op-up from paid J to F when I am sitting in the main deck of 744 or on the 777/767 three-class aircrafts.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:23 am

Most likely J is oversold here (whether it be from revenue passengers or PS employees) and they are holding the F space so they can spill people over into F without having to bump anyone.

I'd say the upgrade is likely being a paid J passenger with GS status
Old May 5, 2017, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
6 "blocked" means 6 seats they won't sell because they will need to use them for op-ups. J is currently overbooked by 6.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I just checked the loads. Currently J oversold by 3 with 3 seats open in F.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could this also mean that there's a chance of a swap to an aircraft without a FC cabin?

If the airline can sell a real FC fare, it would pay them to downgrade someone from an overbooked business class cabin, rebook someone onto another carrier, or pay VDB/IDB if necessary. Surely they realize this and would be pleased if someone comes along before check in closes who is willing to purchase a FC ticket for lots and lots of money.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
So three OPUPs have already been processed at this time, somewhat in advance of boarding?
Old May 5, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
i'm flying SFO->PEK tomorrow. first class is completely open, with no seats booked an no one on the upgrade list. does United ever upgrade anyone from bus to first on their own in a case like this?
On US carriers (well, AA and UA), Int'l F is almost an exclusive employee and FAM cabin, with occasional upgraders filling in the seats. NRSAs will occupy these empty seats.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
You must be looking at a different flight. This one is booked 0/12 in F, now with only 2 blocked for a full J cabin.

Plus 4 non-revs on the upgrade list.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So three OPUPs have already been processed at this time, somewhat in advance of boarding?
No. There have been no op-ups. J pax have cancelled or moved to other flights, reducing the oversell. Very very common.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could this also mean that there's a chance of a swap to an aircraft without a FC cabin?
On this route, no.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:28 am

1K has a better chance of an upgrade. I was on a flight with 3 1k's travelling with me, and they all got upgraded. I, the GS did not. When looking at the GA screen, it says "surprise and delight" upgrade, do not downgrade. They all got emails 24 hours in advance of the upgrade. I, the GS sat upstairs and was somewhat annoyed. It was the same flight as yours.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Another complication with opups from J-> F is that employees traveling confirmed business for work (Positive Space) will be above any regular opups (but below any GPUs or mileage upgrades). All UA employees traveling for work US->Asia are eligible for business.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.