Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
There are no complimentary upgrades on "Polaris" or premium transcon service or Hawaii (to/from ORD/EWR/IAD/IAH) flights for elites. Elites need to support their upgrades with Plus Points or miles+copay. A complete table is here

Some international flights are CPU eligible (mainly North American)

On very rare occasions if a lower cabin is overbooked, some passengers (usually by elite status) will be operational upgraded (op-up'ed)
Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

did united ever offer complimentary upgrades on international routes?

Print Wikipost

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Ok that makes sense. I got offered an upgrade for $800 at checkin and declined but I certainly wasn't expecting anything but now I know why no one higher got anything.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA has never provided complimentary upgrades on long-haul international trips. An occasional op-up if economy overbooked, but otherwise no. Ditto for the competition.

CPUs (complimentary upgrades) are available for most North American flights (but not SFO/LAX<>EWR or SFO<>BOS and Hawaii flights from EWR/ORD/IAD/IAH )
and DEN

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 19, 2018 at 12:18 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eeflyer
International routes are not eligible for complimentary upgrades (CPUs). ...
To be clear, quite a few int'l routes are eligible for CPUs, just not the ones United defines as "long-haul"/Polaris..
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
To be clear, quite a few int'l routes are eligible for CPUs, just not the ones United defines as "long-haul"/Polaris..
Oh cool, thanks for the correction. The more you know haha.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by eeflyer
Oh cool, thanks for the correction. The more you know haha.
Am curious ( and look forward to your input) on how UA will manage 149 EWR-GRU tonight - 3 class 772 - full eco ( apparently) 24 booked in C plus 11 blocked (op ups?) leaving 5 C class seat open and 1 out of 8 seats booked in F. One person on the UPG list.
Am flying in Z (which was already over $7,000!!) and oc course could not UPG with GPU because of booking fare too low. 1K agent told me that F is available for the usual 25,000 miles plus $500 and I have been offered a paid upg at check in $895.

Am not taking the bait even if the C seat is the abysmal sUA - will they send F out empty if nobody buys-up?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by cricketrun
Am curious ( and look forward to your input) on how UA will manage 149 EWR-GRU tonight - 3 class 772 - full eco ( apparently) 24 booked in C plus 11 blocked (op ups?) leaving 5 C class seat open and 1 out of 8 seats booked in F. One person on the UPG list.
Am flying in Z (which was already over $7,000!!) and oc course could not UPG with GPU because of booking fare too low. 1K agent told me that F is available for the usual 25,000 miles plus $500 and I have been offered a paid upg at check in $895.

Am not taking the bait even if the C seat is the abysmal sUA - will they send F out empty if nobody buys-up?
Yep. They'll send F out empty if nobody buys-up. Only if Y oversells more (causing more J seats to be blocked filling up the J cabin) will they extend the "blocking" to F.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cricketrun

Yes, they will send F empty except that one or two seats will be used as rest seats for the captain and others from the cockpit. In addition, if there are NonRevenues on the standby list they will get to fly F.

According to my understanding of NonRevenues, there are already 2 on the standby lists.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
In addition, if there are NonRevenues on the standby list they will get to fly F.
Only if they list for F. There is an additional cost.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Only if they list for F. There is an additional cost.
On my trips to Asia, I always see them listed on the 3 lists: standby, standby to Business, standby to First. They appear on all three lists even if the plane is available in all 3 classes. So, I always assumed that these were non-revenues. I guess that for such long flights they are ready to pay the additional cost.

Anyways, for the flight to GRU tonight, there are 2 passengers waitlisted for the 3 classes.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
On my trips to Asia, I always see them listed on the 3 lists: standby, standby to Business, standby to First. They appear on all three lists even if the plane is available in all 3 classes. So, I always assumed that these were non-revenues. I guess that for such long flights they are ready to pay the additional cost.
If you look more carefully at the lists, you will frequently see there are more NRSA listed for Y than for J, and frequently more listed for J than for F. They don't always choose to list for all three cabins.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you look more carefully at the lists, you will frequently see there are more NRSA listed for Y than for J, and frequently more listed for J than for F. They don't always choose to list for all three cabins.
Thank you for your explanation. Now I get it. I always assumed that the few ones listing only in the Y cabin were paying passengers that were trying to get on the plane as in all my Asian trips Y is fully booked (flying on week-ends).
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thank you for your explanation. Now I get it. I always assumed that the few ones listing only in the Y cabin were paying passengers that were trying to get on the plane as in all my Asian trips Y is fully booked (flying on week-ends).
Some certainly are. But some of them are also NRSAs who only list for Y.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:45 am

Premier Exec booked in J - no automatice upgrade?

Hi Everyone,

For some reason I thought a premier executive booking in J would get an automatic upgrade to first? Seat map is showing open seats in first (4 of them) but I'm still in business....did the policy change? To be safe I requested a GPU to first but now worried that might have messed things up as it shows request wait-listed....

Is my memory totally wrong? Is there anything to do in this case?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
What's the route? There's no automatic upgrades other than in the regions covered by https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../upgrades.aspx
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrZhu
Hi Everyone,

For some reason I thought a premier executive booking in J would get an automatic upgrade to first? Seat map is showing open seats in first (4 of them) but I'm still in business....did the policy change? To be safe I requested a GPU to first but now worried that might have messed things up as it shows request wait-listed....

Is my memory totally wrong? Is there anything to do in this case?
What's the route? Transoceanic flights are not eligible for complimentary upgrades (for anyone). If you're on EWR-ORD or vv., you would be eligible for a complimentary upgrade, but using an instrument will give you higher priority. Most instrument upgrades are waitlisted these days.

What's your actual status? Premier Executive status hasn't existed in nearly 6 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.