UA Sends Passenger On 28 Hour Detour

Old May 4, 17, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
UA Sends Passenger On 28 Hour Detour

UA gate agents screwed up, but responsibility on this also lies with the passenger.

http://abc7ny.com/travel/united-pass...mare-/1949824/

While the UA system and processes failed, the passenger should at least pay attention to the large sign above that said SFO/San Francisco instead of CDG/Paris, even if she didn't speak a word of English.

Hope she got miles for the flight.
Old May 4, 17, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
So much for security. The scanner did not catch it, the GA did not have a wrong count for pax on the SFO flight, the FA didn't check the BP closely with the seat conflict. And they are worried about a larger tube of toothpaste? Ridiculous.
Old May 4, 17, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Oh come on this is getting ridiculous. Yeah, should have caught the wrong flight, but things happen. This passenger first should have noticed the "SAN FRANCISCO" giant sign over the gate. Then on board, they have the final flight verification announcement (even if you don't speak English, you should recognize that at least).

But the part of this that makes me most annoyed is the daughter's quote: "If they would have made the announcement in French, she would she have moved gates," Miantsoko said. "Of course, because she speaks French she would've moved to another gate."

Seriously?! We're not supposed to deliver all airport gate announcements in French at EWR just in case? What about Mandarin? Swahili?
Old May 4, 17, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SteveHK View Post
Seriously?! We're not supposed to deliver all airport gate announcements in French at EWR just in case?
IME many gate change announcements at Newark for international flights are made in English and the language of the destination. Not all of them, but many of them.

The GA also should've caught it. That's the more worrisome part IMO.
Old May 4, 17, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Seriously?! We're not supposed to deliver all airport gate announcements in French at EWR just in case? What about Mandarin? Swahili?
I demand announcements made in Esperanto.
Old May 4, 17, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
IME many gate change announcements at Newark for international flights are made in English and the language of the destination. Not all of them, but many of them.

The GA also should've caught it. That's the more worrisome part IMO.
Sure, but last I looked the official language spoken at both EWR and SFO is English. Maybe a few secondary languages, but French trails.

There's a potential weight & balance issue here, but no security issue for a US domestic departure because 100% of pax and bags are screened.

The gate reader ought to have rejected the BP and perhaps it did, but the passenger bears some responsibility too.
Old May 4, 17, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Shouldn't the BP scanner have beeped and flashed red? Did GA just fail to scan the BP?

Reminds me of:
Oakland or Auckland - It's a Long Way Home After European Vacation.
Old May 4, 17, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
It is UA's failure multiple times. Do not blame the passenger, please. The gate agent should catch the beeper. The FA should double check the boarding pass when the assigned seat on this BP was occupied by another passenger.

The good news of this ordeal is that the passenger got a full refund of her ticket plus travel voucher.
Old May 4, 17, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
In a case like that, what about her original checked bags to CDG?

Would the system know she boarded the wrong flight and then have to offload the bags?
Old May 4, 17, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Sure, but last I looked the official language spoken at both EWR and SFO is English. Maybe a few secondary languages, but French trails.
And yet, as a company catering to passengers headed to France, United has a habit of speaking in French, too. There are also French speaking FAs on those flights.

Also, unless things have changed very recently, I'm pretty sure the USA doesn't have an official language, nor do California or New Jersey.
Old May 4, 17, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
In a case like that, what about her original checked bags to CDG?

Would the system know she boarded the wrong flight and then have to offload the bags?
I have flown to Singapore and my bags went to IAH from ORD.....

not sure how well they check this stuff....
Old May 4, 17, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
And yet, as a company catering to passengers headed to France, United has a habit of speaking in French, too. There are also French speaking FAs on those flights.

Also, unless things have changed very recently, I'm pretty sure the USA doesn't have an official language, nor do California or New Jersey.
I am sure they can speak french on the flight going to Paris. The one to San Francisco? Probably less likely.

Seems like the systems failure by United mattered in this case because the passenger couldn't (or didn't) react to the various clues she was on the wrong flight - in most instances those failures would still have resulted in teh passenger getting to the right flight.
Old May 4, 17, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Well, yes, but the flight she incorrectly boarded was headed to SFO. No reason to make those announcements in French!
Old May 4, 17, 3:06 pm

Oh come on this is getting ridiculous. Yeah, should have caught the wrong flight, but things happen. This passenger first should have noticed the "SAN FRANCISCO" giant sign over the gate. Then on board, they have the final flight verification announcement (even if you don't speak English, you should recognize that at least).

But the part of this that makes me most annoyed is the daughter's quote: "If they would have made the announcement in French, she would she have moved gates," Miantsoko said. "Of course, because she speaks French she would've moved to another gate."

Ua should have caught this...

countless flights on UA are "direct" so if i dont board at the gate that says san francisco i may not make it to, say, frankfurt...
i can see how this may not be very obvious to a tired and jetlagged visitor..

and thankfully in china for example they do make announcements in english even for flights that dont head to usa..

usa unfortunately is really one of the worst countries for a foreigh tourist..
Old May 4, 17, 3:16 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold, United Gold
The strange parts of the story are the following:

(1) Why does the scanner not set out an alarm for a wrong boarding pass? Or worse still, the scanner does trigger the alarm but the GA ignored it???

(2) The FA did look at the boarding pass when dealing with the seat conflict. How did s/he not recognize that this is a wrong boarding pass? The wrong destination shouldn't have escaped the eye of an FA!

I am very worried about this incident.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: