Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what did United 5-across narrowbody coach (circa 1971) seating look like?

what did United 5-across narrowbody coach (circa 1971) seating look like?

Old May 3, 17, 1:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 180
what did United 5-across narrowbody coach (circa 1971) seating look like?

what did United 5-across narrobody coach seating look like? was it 2-3?

Thanks!

WalterSFO is offline  
Old May 3, 17, 1:41 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,204
Originally Posted by WalterSFO View Post
what did United 5-across narrobody coach seating look like? was it 2-3?
Well, it wasn't 1-4 and there weren't two aisles, so...
sbm12 is offline  
Old May 3, 17, 1:56 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,856
I believe this was a short-lived experiment in which some 720s and DC-8s, maybe 727s, were in a single-class configuration that was a hybrid F/Y.

UA had a lot of different configurations in the CAB days. After it ditched the hybrid F/Y product, it launched the first three-cabin service with first, "club" and economy class. UA also had a high-density one-class 727 configuration on its "California Commuter" service and even added extra (entirely unnecessary) 'hat rack' doors forward of the wing for the higher seat counts.


Last edited by EWR764; May 3, 17 at 2:01 pm
EWR764 is offline  
Old May 3, 17, 2:13 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Well, it wasn't 1-4 and there weren't two aisles, so...
so it wasn't like 2-2-1 or 2-1-2 like the first class on 767s?
WalterSFO is offline  
Old May 3, 17, 2:17 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LHR (sometimes CLE, SFO, BOS, LAX, SEA)
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 5,814
It's a fair question. I have seen seat maps of jets configured 3-3 in Y where the middle seat was an inch wider.
mherdeg is offline  
Old May 3, 17, 2:57 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,204
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
It's a fair question. I have seen seat maps of jets configured 3-3 in Y where the middle seat was an inch wider.
The CSeries CS100 and CS300 today are designed to be 2-3 with the middle seat an inch wider. Very comfortable ride, though still up to the airlines to decide pitch.

There are a few other seat manufacturers out there with designs that "favor" the middle seat but not much traction there from airlines.
sbm12 is offline  
Old May 3, 17, 3:41 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LFT
Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, former CO Platinum Elite (sigh...)
Posts: 9,110
Back in 1964, United was offering several different seating configurations.

At least three aircraft were involved with regard to single class service: the Boeing 720, the Boeing 727-100 and the Caravelle.

UA B720 and B727-100 aircraft featured "One-Class Red Carpet" service which I believe was 2-3 seating.

http://www.departedflights.com/UApitchyourtent64.html

http://www.departedflights.com/UAoneclass64.html

The Caravelles were in standard 2-2 seating configuration and this was the aircraft type flown by UA on its "Men Only" flights between Chicago and New York back in the day. United operated the Caravelle with an all first class cabin.

United was also offering transcon "Red, White & Blue" service with the Douglas DC-8 in 1964. These flights featured a three class cabin: Red Carpet First Class had 2-2 seating, White a.k.a Standard class was billed as being "comparable to our One-Class Red Carpet service" with 2-3 seating and Blue was coach with 3-3 seating.

http://www.departedflights.com/UAredwhiteblue64b.html

Last edited by jlemon; May 3, 17 at 5:44 pm
jlemon is offline  
Old May 3, 17, 3:49 pm
  #8  
nnn
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Francisco
Programs: All-Around Kettle
Posts: 3,080
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
United also was offering transcon "Red, White & Blue" service with the Douglas DC-8 in 1964. These flights featured a three class cabin: Red Carpet First Class had 2-2 seating, White a.k.a Standard class was billed as being "comparable to our One-Class Red Carpet service" with 2-3 seating and Blue was coach with 3-3 seating.

http://www.departedflights.com/UAredwhiteblue64b.html
Wow, F was only $15.80 more than E- on a p.s. route! TODs live!
nnn is offline  
Old May 3, 17, 4:28 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,060
"When you're friendly you do things for people."

What a horrible tagline.

Edit: And the advertisement says "pitch a tent" hahahah!
JVPhoto is offline  
Old May 3, 17, 4:37 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 458
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Wow, F was only $15.80 more than E- on a p.s. route! TODs live!
I know you jest, but in seriousness the first class is ticket is only ~10% more than the coach fare. If that was the difference between S and P today, I'd be up front on every ticket.
prometa is offline  
Old May 3, 17, 4:41 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Wow, F was only $15.80 more than E- on a p.s. route! TODs live!
$15 1970 dollars is about $100 in 2017 dollars....

$100 is still much better than what UA charges for upgrade at OLCI.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
"When you're friendly you do things for people."

What a horrible tagline.

Edit: And the advertisement says "pitch a tent" hahahah!

so I'm not the only one who misses the 1970s?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 3, 17 at 8:23 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
WalterSFO is offline  
Old May 3, 17, 5:28 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Posts: 1,883
Originally Posted by WalterSFO View Post
so I'm not the only one who misses the 1970s?
While I wasn't alive in the 70s to remember, it's hard for me to complain too much. While I'd love to avoid over-zealous security and eat chateaubriand, compared to 1970 air travel is half the price and approximately 20x safer (passenger deaths per 100,000 miles flown by US carriers were well over 20x higher in 1970 [source]). Plus we have lie-flat seats. Because of the reduced cost and the increased choice, I can travel dramatically more than I would have been able to in 1970, and to me that's worth the compromise.
Sykes is offline  
Old May 3, 17, 5:50 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
While I wasn't alive in the 70s to remember, it's hard for me to complain too much. While I'd love to avoid over-zealous security and eat chateaubriand, compared to 1970 air travel is half the price and approximately 20x safer (passenger deaths per 100,000 miles flown by US carriers were well over 20x higher in 1970 [source]). Plus we have lie-flat seats. Because of the reduced cost and the increased choice, I can travel dramatically more than I would have been able to in 1970, and to me that's worth the compromise.
I miss the peace and quiet of nothing having cell phones, pagers, laptops, etc....

Last edited by l etoile; May 4, 17 at 11:24 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
WalterSFO is offline  
Old May 3, 17, 6:31 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Posts: 949
so I'm not the only one who misses the 1970s?
and I miss the early UA B747 that had a lounge in coach class where one could flake out. It was just behind the lavs and the elevator down below where the galley was.

I remember on of the passengers asking me where the lavs were and I pointed to the elevator which had a window in it as a stewardess head was visible as it was just going down
Lomapaseo is offline  
Old May 3, 17, 6:34 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BWI
Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 174
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
'hat rack' doors
Had to Google this, wasn't around back then! Its a different world now
thesun is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: