Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Take Upgrade or Remain in E+ with Friend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take Upgrade or Remain in E+ with Friend?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by goalie
My vote as well as chivalry is not dead
Given that OP hasn't given their gender, I'm not sure at this point how chivalry factors into it.

If you'd feel bad if you were stuck in the back while your friend was up front, don't take the upgrade. If that wouldn't bother you, and you don't think it would bother your friend, go for it. Enjoy your time together at the destination.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:34 pm

So you're suggesting women cant be "chivalrous"? I think that's a bit odd....

(then again I'm ex Navy and served with many fine female officers....in an environment traditionally male... so maybe MY view is different, not yours!)
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Unless you are planning to chat with her for seven hours, I would just leave things as is.

I have done both in the past, and neither is right or wrong.

If she doesn't have expectations, then make sure that she gets an aisle or window seat. If you feel generous, pay for W fare and upgrade her.

no really wrong choices here -- it depends on your relationship status and how guilty/resentful you will feel afterwards.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Did you get your friend seating in E+ for free on the basis of being your companion on the same flight?

Did you know that under UA's E+ companion policy, once you are no longer in the same cabin, she is no longer eligible for free E+?

(I have very very occasionally seen gate agents say "OK, here is your upgrade, and by the way, I am moving your companion to economy minus.")
I had this situation in March CDG-ORD. My upgrade cleared, my daughter's friend whom I put in E+ kept her seat. I asked UA agent specifically about this situation and I was told that the companion will keep the E+ seat even after I am no longer in the same cabin.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Given that OP hasn't given their gender, I'm not sure at this point how chivalry factors into it.

If you'd feel bad if you were stuck in the back while your friend was up front, don't take the upgrade. If that wouldn't bother you, and you don't think it would bother your friend, go for it. Enjoy your time together at the destination.
Clicking into the OP's username reveals "Female".
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Need to stop guessing as to friend or "friend" and assumptions on gender.

I too am curious about the original tickets as international doesn't just upgrade people that didn't request it unless it is operational reasons. But that is usually at the gate. So some kind of request must have ben made.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Rules:

1. If it's your wife, offer her the upgrade
2. If it's your boss, stick them in the back of the plane. It's your perk for working your butt off for the company and the plenty of lost nights/weekends. Try not to smile too much when they walk past you drinking your PDB in F/J.
3. If it's your kid and they are more than 14 years old, stick them in the back and keep your upgrade.
4. If it's somebody you are trying to hook up with upon reaching your destination, give them the upgrade.
5. All others, buy them a nice dinner at your destination, keep your upgrade, and chalk it up to one of the few rewards for traveling a lot.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mrsherb2
Would you take the upgrade or stay with a friend in E+?
E+ always unless you don't believe you can use the GPU before it expires.

Being long time friends, this indicates this is a fun trip. There is no need to add any drama simply for the upgrade.

Also - to many travelers, E+ is already an upgrade.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Lots of old fashioned ideas on this thread! What difference does it make what the gender of the OP is? Come on guys, it's the 21st century.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Since it's the red eye over, I would just take it and explain to your friend. You can try and upgrade her on your own dime if you're feeling generous.

That said, I wouldn't have new applied the GPU to begin with. If you had already done that to start with, I think it shows that you weren't really thinking about your friend being stuck back in Y to begin with...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.