Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this woman in this UA website photo really small? or did they make her look small?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this woman in this UA website photo really small? or did they make her look small?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:39 pm

What a real UA 787 E cabin with real people may look like:

[Picture not mine; found it via a Google image search].

From this, I'd say she's just a vertically challenged model shot from a space-maximizing angle. I don't see any photo editing shenanigans.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:13 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by hoopics

From this, I'd say she's just a vertically challenged model shot from a space-maximizing angle. I don't see any photo editing shenanigans.
I will have to take a shot flying on HU to Shanghai totally different body profile...
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seats in this photo don't look anything like the seats in the ad.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Correct. The "real" picture I posted features the original cloth E seats that were in the cabin when the 787-8's launched, and still were as of the last time I flew one in early 2016. The advert looks like the new pleather slimline seats found in the new 737-9's:

Not sure if they've rolled them out in any of the 787s?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Baze
The seat in the picture where people are crammed shoulder to shoulder looks realistic to me.

The proliferation of those 3-3-3 787 is really a nightmare.
Originally Posted by chipmaster
I will have to take a shot flying on HU to Shanghai totally different body profile...
HU has the same ugly 3-3-3 config that UA does.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:14 pm

These excessively medicated people who used to grace the basic economy landing page seem to be sitting in the same seats. I'm baffled by it, though -- you have the slimline leather seats, but the electro-dimming windows which I'd thought were only on the 787's.

So either this is in fact a mock-up, or....?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
She would be dragged off easy - simple hoist and carry

the explorer card sweater woman should be placed in that seat

the photos upthread are of a single aisle aircraft. Yes the 787 is cramped but at least it has two aisles so more airy.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
She would be dragged off easy - simple hoist and carry

the explorer card sweater woman should be placed in that seat

the photos upthread are of a single aisle aircraft. Yes the 787 is cramped but at least it has two aisles so more airy.
Which photos are you referring to that are single aisle?The ones with all the seats full is definitely twin aisle.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

That's more realistic. 90% of the people in that photo are borderline obese.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
That's more realistic. 90% of the people in that photo are borderline obese.
Isn't this a pic of a bunch of FTers from some Do?

Last edited by justforfun; Apr 30, 2017 at 5:05 am
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I don't understand this post/question.

Was there an original ad? She looks like any normal person to me outside of her obviously drawn on eyebrows.

Is the post a shot at how small the seats are, so to make them look bigger they photographed someone small?

I would say if this is PE, they're making the seats look big. But if this is domestic J, or European old school long haul J, or ANA old garbage 767 J, then I'd say they look normal.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: none
Over 50 replies (so far) for just an ad photo. An ad agency's dream where everyone is noticing and commenting an ad, and all the responders (including me) are playing along to give a lot of free advertising.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 30, 2017 at 9:32 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster
Old May 1, 2017, 10:57 am

@Allan38103: That's with the assumption that "there is no such thing as bad publicity." Unfortunately for United, they're not exactly in a position to be adopting that mindset yet.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Clearly the lady in the original photo is significantly smaller and more slender than most. And, she's obviously photographed in a way that emphasizes the idea of space. It's a nice photo, but it's just not even close to reality, which would be three overweight people stuffed into a regular economy (not E+) seat, each of them cramming the maximum number of bags possible under the seat in front of them and thus having no leg room or shoulder room whatsoever.

Oh yeah - let's also have the three equally overweight people in the row ahead of them recline their seats as far as they will go. Now we're getting closer. All that's left is to make it warm and stuffy, so everyone starts getting a little ripe.

For Allan38103 - not necessarily so. I noticed it, but it doesn't make me want to open my wallet because I know better. If anything, it just leaves me shaking my head at what I would consider to be deceptive advertising.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Symmetre
but it's just not even close to reality, which would be three overweight people stuffed into a regular economy (not E+) seat,
90% of the people in that photo are borderline obese.
unless they are overflowing the armrests, I don't see how that's UA's problem. An individual should take personal responsibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.