Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major United Policy Changes Announced

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by BeantownDisneyFan
Today's Chicago Tribune put the spin on this that United Airlines wanted, and carefully choreographed; what is portrayed is primarily the alleged "new way at United of doing things," not United's post mortem of UA #3411 . Now, I understand the reason for the spin, but in my opinion, United Airlines has still not come clean; in fact, they appear to be devoid of any conversation about a potential, major system failure:

"Was the Captain of UA #3411 really "in command" of UA #3411 , and if so, where was he/she, and what was he/she doing when mayhem broke loose in the aircraft cabin?"
We have no right to expect United to publicly "come clean" about UA3411. For one, there's on-going litigation which limits United to speaking generally about customer service changes. Two, unless you were a passenger on the flight, disclosure of exactly what happened and the appropriateness of the response is not relevant.

For one, I think the changes are a step in the right direction. The real test will be how they're implemented and the consistency of execution.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Uh-oh. Sounds like the dystopian Delta system (a reverse auction).
Originally Posted by Lubey
I love all of the changes they've made (provided they're more than lip service), except this one. As someone who loves to play the overbooking game (the more travel vouchers the better), this makes it incredibly hard to play that game. Genius business decision, as now they only have to pay the lowest offers, but obviously bad for us.
No, Delta flyers playing VDB don't see the other offers. Offers can be solicited at check-in from T-24 up to the check in deadline online, app, or kiosk. Given that they solicit offers so far in advance of flight alternate routings are not displayed. A passengers offer isn't firm, however, until length of delay is established: back out and keep your seat if you don't like it.

One good thing as practiced by Delta: Where multiple passengers are needed, every volunteer needed gets the clearing offer. Example, if they need three VDBs and the lowest bids are $250, $400, and $500, all three get $500.

Delta had lots of VDB in 2016 (about 2x UA or AA) but much, much less IDB. They can really crank up the load factor.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I think these are generally positive.

I am surprised that they capped VDB compensation at $10,000. Since they're not going to reach $10,000, why not grab the media's attention with some huge number like $50,000 or $100,000. (And even if they reached these stratospheric amounts, they could still effectively cap this with restrictions: use within 330 days for a single-named passenger on domestic coach flights)

It's odd that they think they need a "customer solutions team" to do what GAs were empowered to do in the past. I think this is a step forward, but it's also one that leaves me scratching my head.

I'm interested in seeing how the "reverse auction" for VDB's works. Will it be binding? I'd hate to agree to $200 for a one hour delay, only to find out at the gate that that flight has filled out and it will be a two-day delay. Oh, and here's your $200 voucher.

I'm also interested in how this interacts with Basic Economy.

Reducing overbooking on the last flight out sounds good, but. I know the last flights out LGA-ORD and DCA-ORD are notoriously overbooked, because business travelers like me book that flight, and if things are such that I can get to the airport early, I can try for the early flight. Ten zillion other passengers feel the same way. I hope this doesn't go away.

"Empower employees to resolve customer service issues in the moment" is good, but MatthewLAX's description is of an app to " proactively compensate customers when a disservice occurs." These are not the same thing, and one of United's faults is that they think they are. United has, for years, used compensation in lieu of actually fixing a problem. I don't want compensation. I want the problem fixed.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Overreaction, they're gonna get fleeced.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
UA needs to go back even further to their CO roots and add back what was on every page of the CS manual during the tenure of Robert Six - "nothing in this manual supersedes common sense".
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Oscar promised a comprehensive review of customer service at UA and the report is now out. Effective immediately (or in the near future) United will--
  • Increase customer compensation incentives for voluntary denied boarding up to $10,000.
  • Establish a customer solutions team to provide agents with creative solutions such as using nearby
  • airports, other airlines or ground transportations to get customers to their final destination.
  • Empower employees to resolve customer service issues in the moment.
  • Eliminate the red tape on permanently lost bags by adopting a “no questions asked” policy on lost luggage.
I generally applaud any effort to empower employees to make the right decision at the right time to come up with a solution that isn't necessarily dictated by "cost-savings." For the most part I haven't had too many issues using alternate airports, its just the burden of then having to figure out how to get from the alternate airport to my final destination.

There are a couple of things though that I think about though; and that is despite all the training, all the tools, and whatever resources employees will have at their disposal, there will always be a lack of consistency.
For instance:
-Flying STLEWRSNN
-STLEWR is delayed, but available flt on AA STLLGA
-Need to get from LGA to EWR to catch EWRSNN flt

Agent 1 says sorry can't do it; Agent 2 says sure no problem. So other than UA publically saying they will empower agents to come up with other solutions, all the training in the world isn't going to re-program Agent 1 to figure out a way to make it work. So nothing really changes.

I've accepted the fact that I cannot rely on reservation agents to be the ones to figure out how to get me out of a delay/cancellation/etc. This isn't a knock on their abilities, but some of them exist in a vacuum, only able to offer the solution that SHARES spits out and not look beyond. Last weekend's SFO delay is a prime example. SANSFO delayed, would have missed SFOSTL cnx. Nothing else available until the next day according to the agent. I ask agent about SANEWR, overnight, then EWRSTL in am. Agent can't seem to process since she says its backtracking.....yeah it is but I don't lose an entire day of work by doing so. Had to HUCA begins she starts into how she can't book my P fare into remaining F inventory.

At the other end of the spectrum....I could see this getting out of hand where passengers push agents or try and game the system. "Well your commitment states this, so you have to do it." I feel for the employees that will potentially face confrontational customers demanding a quick fix even though employees aren't the ones personally responsible for mx/wx delays, diversions, etc.

Last edited by qukslvr619; Apr 27, 2017 at 7:17 am
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
You forgot a few hidden bullets

* Increased ticket prices and fees to offset costs due to DYKWIA passengers
* Increased delays and cancellations due to crew delays
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by UA Insider
We let policies get ahead of our values.
Good luck, but this is a big wait-and-see, prove-me-wrong moment. The "values" of too many rogue United employees are on display every day. They are the main reason this company is in a tailspin. Front-liners who are cruising for confrontation will keep finding it.

Preaching common sense is fine, but penalties / terminations / etc. for your many freelance policymakers would be better.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Next people will be fighting for 10K.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I don't typically post in the United forum, since I don't fly UA, but I saw a USA Today article about this policy revision and thought the UA crowd might like to check it out. The USAT article includes the effective dates of each policy change:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ges/100938324/

They all seem like reasonable changes to me (it seems ridiculous that some of them were not already the policy), but the entire 3411 incident could have been avoided had UA had policy #5 in place already:
"5. United will ensure crews are booked onto a flight at least 60 minutes prior to departure"

Well, DUH. IDB is one thing, but actually offloading a passenger for a non-rev crew transport is just a lousy move, no matter what else actually happened that day.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Won't this just cause passengers to keep saying no to VDB offers until they reach 10k?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Won't this just cause passengers to keep saying no to VDB offers until they reach 10k?
It will actually force UA to reengineer booking practices so VDB situations are much less frequent.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I will believe that changes are real when I can see a change in the attitude at UA.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1k
As is always the case with UA the execution is the real uncertainty. Even as an elite who is fairly knowledgable about how to work the system I have been amazed at the inconsistency of service from reservations agents, GAs, etc. I have rarely experienced outright rudeness though.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
No.

When you offer an entire plane ever increasing amounts, someone is going to say "yes" well before $10k. It is a very effective, reasonable solution. It allows the individual passengers to choose the level of compensation needed to give up their particular seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.