Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sept. 2016: Another passenger "ripped" from her Business Seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sept. 2016: Another passenger "ripped" from her Business Seat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by hughw
Amex points are a terrible waste to use for air fares or upgrades of one sort or another. But people do it, including my brother-in-law. They never get transferred to an airline that's not a partner such as UA. Basically UA sells an airfare at whatever the market price is and you pay for it with some combination of cash and/or points which typically have a value of from $0.005 to $0.01. So if it cost say, $1000 for an airfare, you could buy it from AMEX for 100,000 points.
If she truly is a well-heeled socialite, she's probably swimming in so many points that it doesn't matter.

I'll even admit to taking statement credit at times due to usually having a hefty 7 figure balance of UR points.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by lazard
I know you can redeem Amex points to purchase tickets, but is it even possible to redeem points to partially pay for an upgrade (in this case E to E+)?
Yes. I think so. If you could buy it for cash, such as an "upgrade" to E+, you could buy it with AMEX points. Where an upgrade was some combination of UA miles and a fee, no.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by featheroleather
re-read the article. the AGENT named Exxxxe Dxxx is not
a F/A. Sloppy journalism is bad enough... reading comprehension is worse. The agents name is mentioned, so where is the outrage from others saying getting employee names is next to impossible ? I know fa's who have been harrased/stalked on layovers by seedy type pax who somehow got crew member names.
Whether it's an FA or GA is not the pertinent point. The point is that it's pretty difficult to believe that any United staffer on the job calls someone that word. Maybe if it was "b--ch" I'd buy it..

It sticks out to me because the complainant does not come across as the most credible source of information.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Whether it's an FA or GA is not the pertinent point. The point is that it's pretty difficult to believe that any United staffer on the job calls someone that word. Maybe if it was "b--ch" I'd buy it..

It sticks out to me because the complainant does not come across as the most credible source of information.
i hear ya, just like it wasn't anyone from united who handled "dr" dao, it was airport ________.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
The fact that it is alleged the FA called the complainant a 'c-nt' is probably the part that makes me really doubt the story. A downgrade and FA rudeness all certainly sound like realistic scenarios but that word gets me to raise my eyebrow. I've seen a fair few UA FAs act in a less than pleasant way toward passengers and others but never seen them resort to extremely crude insults when they go on their officious power trips.

Even as far as insults go it seems like an odd one given how it's considered so very off-limits in an American context. I know it's now a bit more commonly used due to recent hipster Anglophilia, but that is more likely to be the complainant's social set..
Besides the other parts of the story that don't add up, this is what makes me doubt it went down the way the socialite described it. FWIW - her attorney's should do better due diligence (aka, there isn't a 1B, etc) or it could get tossed. Be interesting to see if UA settles just to get it out of the way.

Cheers.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Besides the other parts of the story that don't add up, this is what makes me doubt it went down the way the socialite described it. FWIW - her attorney's should do better due diligence (aka, there isn't a 1B, etc) or it could get tossed. Be interesting to see if UA settles just to get it out of the way.

Cheers.
There's a photograph (or rather, a printed screenshot) of a 1B Mobile Boarding Pass attached to the complaint. I'm not sure why you think there wasn't that seat.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
There's a photograph (or rather, a printed screenshot) of a 1B Mobile Boarding Pass attached to the complaint. I'm not sure why you think there wasn't that seat.
Sorry, didn't see that. Was going off of what others reported, especially for 76's. However, I'll stand by my FAs can be rude, but I seriously doubt one would call a customer a c**t.

Cheers.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Socialites buy Economy seats?!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

Cheers.
Of course UA will settle. Which is why she filed the bogus suit now to begin with.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Sorry, didn't see that. Was going off of what others reported, especially for 76's. However, I'll stand by my FAs can be rude, but I seriously doubt one would call a customer a c**t.

Cheers.
A few of us made some assumptions that maybe she double upgraded, despite what was described in the NYP article, if only because the language of using Amex points and $500 seemed odd to upgrade to E+. So the thinking was maybe a 3 class aircraft, in which 1B doesn't exist.

None of this matters though, she was downgraded for whatever reason. The posted articles seem to be full of inaccurate info, which makes it difficult to understand what happened.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Karen Shiboleth, the Instagram-loving daughter of wealthy New York lawyers...
Why not asking daddy to beat up UA?

Another nonsense sideshow...
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by princeville
If this happened over seven months ago, why haven't her "successful New York attorney" parents pursued any legal remedies?

There seems to be a lot of missing details.
A one way economy ticket to London out of NY is $1500? Ok, I could *maybe* buy that if it was during some peak travel period.

Points + $500 to upgrade to economy plus? Starting to smell fishy here.

Then on top of that another $1000 to go to the front of the plane. Maybe, but that seems like an awful lot.

Then they moved her when there were other open seats? Were they for crew to rest? The FA then dragged her by the arm and forced her to the back of the plane? Maybe that happened, maybe it didn't. Then they called her a cun*t in front of other passengers? Are there any witnesses to this whole encounter? Seems very exaggerated.

On top of that, what is up with all this name dropping? Like it's going to get her somewhere? She's an over-entitled elite (not elite flyer), but a spoiled brat.

UA will just settle but this woman is full of crap. I just don't buy that is how this all played out.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
A one way economy ticket to London out of NY is $1500? Ok, I could *maybe* buy that if it was during some peak travel period.

Points + $500 to upgrade to economy plus? Starting to smell fishy here.

Then on top of that another $1000 to go to the front of the plane. Maybe, but that seems like an awful lot.

Then they moved her when there were other open seats? Were they for crew to rest? The FA then dragged her by the arm and forced her to the back of the plane? Maybe that happened, maybe it didn't. Then they called her a cun*t in front of other passengers? Are there any witnesses to this whole encounter? Seems very exaggerated.

On top of that, what is up with all this name dropping? Like it's going to get her somewhere? She's an over-entitled elite (not elite flyer), but a spoiled brat.

UA will just settle but this woman is full of crap. I just don't buy that is how this all played out.
I think that some of us are too quick to blame the passenger and not UA. Sure, there are inconsistencies in the story, but often that's due to the way the press reports something, not what basically happened. And we blame the passenger when there's something about them that we find ourselves reacting to. In this case, because we assumed that she's a "spoiled brat' because she comes from a wealthy family....maybe she's not so spoiled and usually travels in Y due to her own personal financial position (and not her family's), or through a sense of frugality....and this one time she was treating herself to business. And maybe she is spoiled, but so what, if she was treated half as bad by UA as the story indicates. And some of us blamed Dr. Dao, not UA, because of the various stories about his various scrapes with the law.

Apparently some FTalkers have read the actual case....If there's a way of posting a link to the case, it would be interesting to many of us. I tried googling it, but nothing came up.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by hughw
Apparently some FTalkers have read the actual case....If there's a way of posting a link to the case, it would be interesting to many of us. I tried googling it, but nothing came up.
I didn't see it on the NY Courts website when I looked, but it'll pull up in Westlaw/Lexis/Bloomberg's docket tracking services. Because those are pay services though, I'm not sure it's appropriate to post a link publicly. It should be up on the NY website shortly.

For the record, both boarding passes (for 1B and 21B) are attached to the complaint, as is the receipt for the upgrade to BusinessFirst and the $750 voucher. As I mentioned in a previous post though, it also repeatedly refers to "American Express MileagePlus" which makes some folks discount the whole thing entirely.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Apr 25, 2017 at 8:01 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The complaint has been publicly filed by the Manhattan court: link

Pretty clear the aircraft was an sCO 752, and she paid $1,149 for an at-checkin upsell offer which booked into 1B. According to the complaint she paid "approximately 60,000 American Express MileagePlus miles ... and $498.56 in fees" to change her flight from September 5, 2017 [sic] to September 10, 2016 and "a window seat in the 'Economy Plus' cabin".

It definitely seems like she was downgraded, but it's hard to believe most of the rest of her story (e.g. "other seats in J were empty" could have been because the flight was not fully boarded). The $750 ETC would be standard GG OVS DOWNGRADE compensation for the flight, and seems entirely plausible the refund of the upsell was miscommunicated.

A ~$1,500 fare would book into B and be the cheapest one way they sell (NYC/LON is one of the markets where an entire round trip is cheaper than a one way). But it would then be a flexible fare in the second-highest booking code so why so many fees to "change to Economy Plus" is beyond me

They conveniently don't have any documentation of the "American Express MileagePlus Miles".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.