Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 18, 17, 3:45 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 29, 17, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0 View Post
...Additionally, a group of deserving people will finally get a chance to sit in E+, instead of non-rev standbys and BE customers as we're hearing is happening right now. 2 problems fixed at once.
I was assigned 7A on 738 with a BE fare last week as a 1K.
Old Jun 29, 17, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Eventually they'll figure out that the correct answer is to block the last two rows of the aircraft and have the GA assign families on BE tickets there.
Yes, but that's assuming that every BE ticket does not get a seat assignment at check-in. While that would solve the problem, it means lots more work for the gate agent. The purpose of using the kiosk is to have a computer assign seats.

If a group of three BE people, mom, dad and small child, check in at the kiosk an hour before departure and there are only middle seats left, then what?
Old Jun 29, 17, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, WN A-List, Southwest happy companion pass designee
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
If a group of three BE people, mom, dad and small child, check in at the kiosk an hour before departure and there are only middle seats left, then what?
Of course it would take IT, so I know it isn't likely, but since birth year is on every passenger's record it should be simple enough to know in advance who needs to be near each other and even pre-assign them (even if they don't know they've been preassigned until check-in) if they are on the same reservation (ignoring the "splitting" issue). And in this case, they wouldn't need 3 seats together, right? They would need 2 (one adult+one child; the other adult could go anywhere). Couldn't the kiosks be programmed to do it and assign 1 adult+1 child to the reserved rows.

I see your point of making more work for the GAs, but if the last couple rows are just always blocked until a GA takes control, it could make things simpler. Move kids+parents to the back rows since there is assured blank space there. It might make things predictable and routinized for the GAs vs a weird mix of Tetris+Frogger moving people all around the plane in series.
Old Jun 29, 17, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
Yes, but that's assuming that every BE ticket does not get a seat assignment at check-in. While that would solve the problem, it means lots more work for the gate agent. The purpose of using the kiosk is to have a computer assign seats.

Last two rows of the aircraft are blocked. BE pax receive automatically generated seat assignments as normal (not sure if this is at OLCI or at airport kiosk right now, but no need to change this). If there are no seats to assign, they get a --SEE AGENT-- boarding pass. A family who reaches out to UA (phone or airport agent) during this time can be manually assigned seats together in the last two rows. Then, under gate control, the GA gives arbitrary assignment to the --SEE AGENT-- holders to the remaining blocked seats.

This is not a huge load on the GA unless there are many families with children traveling on BE fares, which is going to be a hassle under any system. There are in fact already standard sets of seats blocked exactly like this (e.g. 7DE and 23DE and 25DE), and this is how they are assigned.
Old Jun 30, 17, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AF Club 2000, US/AA 1.03MM
This morning l was on ONT-SFO and there was a fair amount of passengers who had BE tickets. I counted at least 10 out of a 50 seat CR2. But the GA made announcement prior to boarding which made it clear that Groups 1-4 can have 1+1, but Group 5 can have 1 personal item only, and if any bags needed to be gate checked, they would not receive a green tag, but a white tag and the bag would be at baggage claim at their final destination. However, I noticed that the BE passengers either had nothing or a single bag. So I think people know going in what BE entails.

The 1 quirk was that I had switched to this seat on Wednesday and row 2 was blocked, but there was a family that took 2ABC. Perhaps they called in earlier to get seats?
Old Jun 30, 17, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by fgirard View Post
This morning l was on ONT-SFO and there was a fair amount of passengers who had BE tickets. I counted at least 10 out of a 50 seat CR2. But the GA made announcement prior to boarding which made it clear that Groups 1-4 can have 1+1, but Group 5 can have 1 personal item only, and if any bags needed to be gate checked, they would not receive a green tag, but a white tag and the bag would be at baggage claim at their final destination. However, I noticed that the BE passengers either had nothing or a single bag. So I think people know going in what BE entails.
I would think that the BE passengers have only one bag or nothing because they're not allowed to receive a boarding pass without seeing an agent. At this time, agents can eyeball for luggage allowance.

Maybe a pro of requiring BE passengers to check in at the airport to receive a boarding pass? Less stress on the GA's?
Old Jun 30, 17, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
...Maybe a pro of requiring BE passengers to check in at the airport to receive a boarding pass? Less stress on the GA's?
It might only be non-Premier BE passengers who have to check in at airport. I was able to check in via mobile at T-24 for my one BE flight.
Old Jul 5, 17, 2:27 pm

Small update, my Father heard back RE: his refund request and UNITED issued a refund in the amount charged.

They made no further mention other than they issued the refund.

He is happy, I guess that is all that matters, though he did add he will think twice before booking with UNITED in the future.
Old Jul 5, 17, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Platinum, Avis First
I just had my first BE experience. I don't get not letting 1K change a seat and giving that to no status standby. These people just don't have thinking capacity.
Old Jul 5, 17, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1.5M lifetime
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
I would think that the BE passengers have only one bag or nothing because they're not allowed to receive a boarding pass without seeing an agent. At this time, agents can eyeball for luggage allowance.

Maybe a pro of requiring BE passengers to check in at the airport to receive a boarding pass? Less stress on the GA's?
I flew RDU-ORD last week and I was late to the gate to board. As I approached the GA announced that she was now boarding "Group 5 which is our Basic Economy group". There were about 20 people in this group on a 739. A gentleman was stopped at the scanner and told he was not allowed on-board with both his bags. He had a duffel bag (gym size) and a backpack. The GA said pay for it here with CC or proceed back to the desk outside security to re-book. He was not happy and claimed to have no idea of the baggage limitation nor a credit card on his person. I boarded and he followed me by 5-6 minutes as the last person to board before the door closed.
Old Jul 5, 17, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
It might only be non-Premier BE passengers who have to check in at airport. I was able to check in via mobile at T-24 for my one BE flight.
If you’re allowed a full size carry on, whether via Premier or CC, then you should be able to get a BP via mobile.
Old Jul 6, 17, 12:17 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by limey1K View Post
I flew RDU-ORD last week and I was late to the gate to board. As I approached the GA announced that she was now boarding "Group 5 which is our Basic Economy group". There were about 20 people in this group on a 739. A gentleman was stopped at the scanner and told he was not allowed on-board with both his bags. He had a duffel bag (gym size) and a backpack. The GA said pay for it here with CC or proceed back to the desk outside security to re-book. He was not happy and claimed to have no idea of the baggage limitation nor a credit card on his person. I boarded and he followed me by 5-6 minutes as the last person to board before the door closed.
Were you carrying on more than 1 item? Did the GA try to stop you and enforce Group 5?

David
Old Jul 6, 17, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1.5M lifetime
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Were you carrying on more than 1 item? Did the GA try to stop you and enforce Group 5?

David
I had two bags and BG1 on my BP so no issues for me.
Old Jul 6, 17, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Flew CVG-SFO return over the holiday weekend. I was on a regular economy fare (bought the ticket about a week before they were selling BE on the route), but seems like there were BE folks in both directions. Not sure how many. But, what I did notice was that there was plenty of bin space on both flights, at least near where i was sitting (row 8 on 320 in both directions). I can't 100% say BE was the reason why, but its the first flight in a long time where the bins weren't relatively full, so I suspect this was a big part of it.

Also of note, GA in CVG on the outbound announced the flight was full and they needed to gate check 7 additional bags. I was boarding at the time I heard that announcement, and so didn't see what happened outside after that and they were forcing folks. However, I did notice that after a few minutes - it was only people walking in with carryons. But again, lost of bin space, so not sure why the announcement.

Originally Posted by denuaflier View Post
I just had my first BE experience. I don't get not letting 1K change a seat and giving that to no status standby. These people just don't have thinking capacity.
The idea is that UA doesn't want people who value things like standby and seat selection to buy these fares - they only want people to buy it who wouldn't otherwise fly with UA. 1K doesn't fit in the latter category. So if you want to choose a seat, you have to pay for a regular fare. There is all sorts of discouragement for many people to buy these fares - no seat selection (or guarantee of sitting with others in the same party), no changes to the itinerary, no ability to buy up/upgrade, no standby, no PQM, etc. The idea is if you value any or all of these things, then you'll pay the $15, $20, $25, etc. extra each way to get these kind of features.
Old Jul 14, 17, 9:13 am

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat
Totally random thought, but I wonder what the age of the youngest GS member is? I made it at 24 last year, like to think it's me (but probably not......)

Search this Thread