Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by kmersh
My Father just relayed a story to me RE: Basic Economy even though he was First Class.

My Father and Mother were flying back from SFO in First Class and a small emergency came up necessitating my Father to remain in the gate area on a phone call with a hospital (his best friend was being rushed to surgery and the Wife asked my Father, a retired Ophthalmologist to speak with the ER Doctor to get a better understanding of what is going on) while my Mother boarded.

After my Father ended his phone call and went to board, it was Group 5 and he was told that he would have to pay to check his bag. He said I am First Class and my Wife has a spot for my bag, the Gate Agent, said class of service does not matter, you are boarding with Group 5 and her Supervisor made it is abundantly clear that the charge is and I am quoting here, "for BOARDING WITH GROUP 5, not just being in Group 5." The Gate Agent said that she thought that was unfair and asked her Supervisor about it more than once and the Supervisor was adamant about the Boarding with Group 5 part.

She suggested contacting UNITED and asking for a refund after the flight but that she was going to have to charge him if he wanted to board. He paid and did board the flight, but was surprised that was how UNITED was treating someone in paid First Class.

He did contact UNITED for a refund of the baggage charge, but has not heard back yet and my gut says that he never sees that refund.

Anyway, Basic Economy is what it is, not for me, clearly it is beneficial to some, but charging for anyone BOARDING WITH GROUP 5 is just ridiculous IMHO.
If this ends up being the standard, that means that UA has just implemented a short connection/"we're gonna charge you when we delay your connecting flight" fee......Oh yeah, this seems like a FANTASTIC idea
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by gene2632
kmersh, I have to wonder what happened to the old rules that old GS and first class to board at their leisure? I guess I will just make sure that I board with my correct group for now.
You got me, either the rules for Basic Economy were so poorly spelled out to the Front Line staff that this confusion is ensuing or as you said you are going to have to strictly board with your assigned group.

Granted, my Father's experience is just one and obviously UNITED boards more than one flight all day and it maybe not happening system wide, but if one Supervisor possibly understands the rules wrong, it is possible others do as well.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by zymm
If this ends up being the standard, that means that UA has just implemented a short connection/"we're gonna charge you when we delay your connecting flight" fee......Oh yeah, this seems like a FANTASTIC idea
I wonder if and how this becomes an IDB situation. If you're exempt from the carry-on fee, yet they demand it and you refuse (or have the inability to pay), I'd imagine UA is on the hook for incorrectly refusing boarding. Much like the misunderstanding of TWOV rules leading to IDB compensation.

Although it may be get sticky because you can technically board, just without your (legal per CoC) belongings.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...but charging for anyone BOARDING WITH GROUP 5 is just ridiculous IMHO.
I boarded with Group 5 at LAS and LAX two days ago w/ first class ticket (only a small backpack, so no rush to sit in aisle seat and be whacked by later boarders). No issues. The problem (as usual) is poorly informed/ill-trained personnel. Unfortunately, UA's frequent flyers are often far more informed about benefits/policies than UA's employees. I can understand - we make more use of the benefits and policies than they do. The supervisor, though, should have been called out in a note to United in order to get him/her up-to-date on correct policies/procedures.

BG5 on the BP is the ONLY thing the GA/Supervisor needs to see in order to restrict carry-ons. BG5 on the BP is so simple - I don't understand how they make it harder on not only themselves, but United.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 28, 2017 at 5:41 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Granted, my Father's experience is just one and obviously UNITED boards more than one flight all day and it maybe not happening system wide, but if one Supervisor possibly understands the rules wrong, it is possible others do as well.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The supervisor, though, should have been called out in a note to United in order to get him/her up-to-date on policies.
What UA has done is give that small subset of its employees who seem to relish abusing passengers another tool to do just that.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He did contact UNITED for a refund of the baggage charge, but has not heard back yet and my gut says that he never sees that refund.
Your father -- and anyone else who runs into this -- should file a DOT complaint. This is an illegal, post-purchase price increase. Enter the information on the web form here.

UA is not allowed to impose a charge like this that was not declared at the time of purchase -- end of story. Every affected customer should file a complaint so that UA will communicate the proper policy across the board.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I wonder if and how this becomes an IDB situation. If you're exempt from the carry-on fee, yet they demand it and you refuse (or have the inability to pay), I'd imagine UA is on the hook for incorrectly refusing boarding. Much like the misunderstanding of TWOV rules leading to IDB compensation.
I laugh, but it's bound to happen.. and you're probably right. I think it would be IDB eligible under the same logic if you were denied boarding for that (especially if you are actually unable to pay).

BG5 on the BP is the ONLY thing the GA/Supervisor needs to see in order to restrict carry-ons. BG5 on the BP is so simple - I don't understand how they make it harder on not only themselves, but United.
I think it's without a doubt a misinformed agent (and supervisor!). Not only do they just need to check for G5, they also annotate the boarding pass "BASIC ECONOMY". But the way the gate announcements are being given it really seems like a pretty garbled message is getting down to the front line.

Hopefully OP's father gets the refund and an ETC for his troubles.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
...Not only do they just need to check for G5, they also annotate the boarding pass "BASIC ECONOMY"....
That might be part of the problem. They print "Basic Economy" in bold font on the printed BPs and the mobile BPs have orange background - it doesn't matter if one is Premier, Chase card holder, or not. They should only do these two things on the BPs of travelers who do not have exceptions to the BE carry-on policy. There really is no point highlighting a BE purchaser on a Premier or Chase card holder's BP for a GA. Some gate agents apparently see BASIC ECONOMY or ORANGE and immediately think "Basic economy - no carry-on".

The ONLY thing the GAs ought to be looking for is BG5 assignments - and that's what UA ought to be highlighting on a BP, not everyone who's bought a Basic Economy ticket. I just sent note to UA Insider to that effect. Should be a very simple change for UA's IT

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 28, 2017 at 3:56 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The ONLY thing the GAs ought to be looking for is BG5 assignments - and that's what UA ought to be highlighting on a BP, not everyone who's bought a Basic Economy ticket. I just sent note to UA Insider to that effect. Should be a very simple change for UA's IT
Presumably the BP scanners can be programmed to identify BE pax who are not allowed a full size carry-on, thus eliminating the need for any interpretation by GAs.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Presumably the BP scanners can be programmed to identify BE pax who are not allowed a full size carry-on, thus eliminating the need for any interpretation by GAs.
That too. Instead of showing just BG5, it ought to make some distinguishable BG5 sound (cow's moo?). Also would make it easy to identify a BG5er boarding too early (and amuse those in proximity). UA can certainly make things easier for their employees.

n.b. pre-boarding BG5ers would still get the "moo". No way around it

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 28, 2017 at 4:53 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delete
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:04 pm

Instead of showing just BG5, it ought to make some distinguishable BG5 sound (cow's moo?).
That would be awesome. I would hang around at the gate just to hear the mooing.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
What UA has done is give that small subset of its employees who seem to relish abusing passengers another tool to do just that.
Why does it not surprise me that this story is about SFO...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
They do. There is a fairly large "Basic Economy" tag on the screen when the BP is scanned.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
They do. There is a fairly large "Basic Economy" tag on the screen when the BP is scanned.
But if Basic Economy comes up when a BE-buying Premier or Chase card holder tries to board, it confuses the some agents who think "Basic Economy - no large carry on". The scanner does not need to show BE for Premiers or Chase card holders. There is no point to it at boarding since they have non-BG5 boarding privileges and carry on bag limit waivers. BG5 is what needs to be highlighted by the scanner and on printed/mobile BPs, not BE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.