Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

Old May 28, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Please report back. I'm very curious what this will do for seating for people with disabilities or special needs.
United is probably going to be consumed at some gates by passengers who've bought BE tickets and think they get some special dispensation from the clearly spelt-out rules. I've bought a BE ticket - United uses a sledge hammer to pound into the buyer what is not included.

No advance seat selection means just that. If knees or transport of a priceless violin don't warrant an extra $20 for regular economy and/or E+ purchase, I see where the priorities are.

"The violin is priceless, but I don't want to pay an extra $20 to transport it".
"Here's your ticket Grandma - I don't care if you get a cr*p seat".

I'm sure UA will make accommodations in some cases, but then you get customers expecting something that they got from one agent that bent the rules, and who then tells other customers they got the rules bent...
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
I do wonder what they are thinking about pricing. Just looked at a flight this Friday to Green Bay from ORD. The fare difference between BE and an M-class economy fare? $1!! $487 vs $486 -- I just don't get it.

Return was $15 difference. Total fare $748 on UA vs $624 on AA (No basic economy offered).
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by mmayer
I do wonder what they are thinking about pricing. Just looked at a flight this Friday to Green Bay from ORD. The fare difference between BE and an M-class economy fare? $1!! $487 vs $486 -- I just don't get it.

Return was $15 difference. Total fare $748 on UA vs $624 on AA (No basic economy offered).
This is exactly why I never understood all the hoopla that it caused when it was announced. The only legitimate complaint I saw was for people with corporate bookings that would only book the lowest class.

If people looked at DL's pricing scheme which had been around for over a year before they would have seen the price difference to be negligible at best compared to a regular fare.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by skylane
An elderly lady at checkout was complaining that she couldn't pick a seat and needed an aisle due to poor knees (she was using a cane). Apparently, her son had purchased her a BE fare and she wasn't told of the consequences. Ticket agent sent her to the gate agent to handle. Let's see what the gate agent does (I'm on the same flight).
Gate agent gave her an aisle seat in E+.

Seat map after departure showed the only remaining seats as E- middle so she made out!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by skylane
Gate agent gave her an aisle seat in E+.

Seat map after departure showed the only remaining seats as E- middle so she made out!
While I do believe the GA did the right thing, I'm conflicted.

I don't want to be an a** and say that: "She (or her son) bought her a BE ticket, therefore she should know what it entails". But at the same time, I don't want to start down this slippery slope of: "I didn't know it was a BE ticket, I DESIRE/DESERVE a better seat".

While this case was potentially medically inclined, I can easily see this becoming out of control. I mean, have you seen the number of passengers who require pre-boarding and then are magically healed upon arrival?

In legitimate cases, what should occur? What if the flight is full. Now what? Bump someone from their seat? Or force the passenger to sit in E- middle and have it become another 'headline story'.

Someone wiser than me, please provide a way of solving this without letting it spiral out of control / being taken advantage of like service animals on airplanes.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Not a solution per se, but I if were in the shoes of a GA.. one pax with a medical issue, fine - can assign 7D from the list of blocked seats. Twenty people on an FLL flight who all want the same thing - "I'm sorry, ma'am but there's nothing I can do to help."

One-time exceptions requiring staff intervention are not likely to grow out of control the way early boarding does. If this causes a ruckus at the gate, well that's the fault of BE in the first place.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For assigned seats for disabilities, isn't general practice that you call to get a seat assigned anyways? In fact, United's website recommends calling more than 24 hours before the flight for seat accommodations https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...modations.aspx and in fact UA's website specifically addresses how to handle it on a Basic Economy ticket.

At the gate, the GA should be able to stand by the "seat accommodations require calling at least 24 hours in advance" line, while hopefully applying a common sense standard.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Someone wiser than me, please provide a way of solving this without letting it spiral out of control / being taken advantage of like service animals on airplanes.
Probably the only actual solution is the Greyhound and WN model - nobody gets an assigned seat - BE or not, and in advance or at check in - you board and pick the seat you can get. And if you really need an aisle seat (or whatever)...make sure you check in right at the allowed time so you can get a seat.

Obviously, that isn't going to happen, for multiple reasons.

But to the disability request, the BE page on UA.com says this:

Q: I have a disability that requires me to sit in a particular type of seat when I travel. Can I purchase a Basic Economy ticket?

A: Yes, certain seats are made available to customers with a disability if the request is made at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled flight. Please call the United Customer Contact Center after your booking is complete to receive a seat assignment. We also recommend visiting our Seating Accommodations page for more information.
So the disabled traveler could have had a seat assigned in advance, even having bought BE. I'm actually kind of conflicted by this policy. On the one hand, those with disabilities obviously have circumstances beyond their control that may require them to actually need something that others don't (or that others just want/really want). Plus, there are seating exceptions for other situations - i.e. families with children using the bassinet get free bulkhead seats, etc. And I don't mean to sound like an a**, but on the other hand, others have other reasons they may need to buy a more expensive fare - i.e. one's schedule only allows them to book a later, more expensive flight. Plus, the disability policy is prone to abuse from those who will fake a 'disability' to take advantage of the policy. What happens when a blogger decides to post this loophole - here's how you can buy a basic fare and still get a seat.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Probably the only actual solution is the Greyhound and WN model - nobody gets an assigned seat - BE or not, and in advance or at check in - you board and pick the seat you can get. And if you really need an aisle seat (or whatever)...make sure you check in right at the allowed time so you can get a seat.

Obviously, that isn't going to happen, for multiple reasons.

But to the disability request, the BE page on UA.com says this:

So the disabled traveler could have had a seat assigned in advance, even having bought BE. I'm actually kind of conflicted by this policy. On the one hand, those with disabilities obviously have circumstances beyond their control that may require them to actually need something that others don't (or that others just want/really want). Plus, there are seating exceptions for other situations - i.e. families with children using the bassinet get free bulkhead seats, etc. And I don't mean to sound like an a**, but on the other hand, others have other reasons they may need to buy a more expensive fare - i.e. one's schedule only allows them to book a later, more expensive flight. Plus, the disability policy is prone to abuse from those who will fake a 'disability' to take advantage of the policy. What happens when a blogger decides to post this loophole - here's how you can buy a basic fare and still get a seat.
You can't discriminate against someone with a disability by making them pay more than someone else for the same product (i.e. people with disabilities will not be charged to bring a cane on board even though it has to be in the overhead bin) however the same carry on rules and other BE rules will apply (no upgrades, no PQD, or PQM), this is covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by N104UA
You can't discriminate against someone with a disability by making them pay more than someone else for the same product (i.e. people with disabilities will not be charged to bring a cane on board even though it has to be in the overhead bin) however the same carry on rules and other BE rules will apply (no upgrades, no PQD, or PQM), this is covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
You are correct except that it is the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) instead of the ADA. The ACAA predates the ADA by four years and supersedes it with regard to air travel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Carrier_Access_Act
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I know many people have already mentioned it, but as a *G mainly flying United, I would really appreciate it if E+ was opened up to *G's 24 hours out, instead of seating BE passengers there, which is inevitable currently. It would be a much fairer system.

Last edited by zeer0; Jun 7, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by laxmillenial

It's UA's obligation to accommodate legitimate disabilities, regardless of the fare the passenger paid.

And let's keep in mind that it's UA which has elected to sell these fares.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's UA's obligation to accommodate legitimate disabilities, regardless of the fare the passenger paid.

And let's keep in mind that it's UA which has elected to sell these fares.
I agree! But the key word being here 'legitimate'. Who's the judge of it? What's the threshold?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:10 pm

While I could see it becoming more complicated for GAs and UA to implement, wouldn't it be more reasonable to find any single fliers in E- and bump them to E+ first, before assigning the BE passenger to the now open E- seat? Or at least attempt to?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eeflyer
While I could see it becoming more complicated for GAs and UA to implement, wouldn't it be more reasonable to find any single fliers in E- and bump them to E+ first, before assigning the BE passenger to the now open E- seat? Or at least attempt to?
THIS!! That should be the policy for both BE customers and non-revs, who also often end up sitting in E+ if it is available. If United needs more E- seats, *G's and then *S's should be moved up to E+, followed by general members based on fare class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.