Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Economy Plus subscriptions
E+ subscriptions are available in various packages
  • Number of travelers who will receive the benefits of the subscription
    • Subscriber-only
    • Subscriber and one companion
    • Subscriber and eight companions
  • Region
    • Continental United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)
    • North and Central America
    • Intra-Asia and Oceania (excludes flights from Honolulu to Guam)
    • Global

Key T&Cs
  • Subscriptions are non-refundable and non-transferable.
  • Subscriptions will expire on the date indicated on the term at purchase of the subscription.
  • Economy Plus is offered on select flights operated by United and United Express.
  • Economy Plus seat requests and specific seat assignments are not guaranteed.
  • Customers who are traveling on a Basic Economy ticket are not eligible to receive Economy Plus subscription benefits.
  • Subscriptions may be customized to benefit additional travelers on the same reservation as the subscriber. Travelers not covered by the subscription benefits are subject to additional charges.
  • Flights must be scheduled to depart within the subscription period.
  • The subscriber’s MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
  • Subscriptions may be upgraded at any time.
  • Upgraded subscriptions are valid for one year from the time of upgrade.
  • Any unused value from the previous subscription will be applied to the upgrade price.
  • Subscriptions can be renewed and can be set-up for auto-renewal

Additional key points
  • E+ subscription allows selection of E+ seats at the time of booking (Same as UA Gold and higher elites -- UA Silver do not have access until check-in)
  • Subscription applies to individual segments, so if a segment of your itinerary is in a covered region, that segment is eligible. Segments outside your purchased region are not eligible.
  • E+ access subscription only applies to UA/UX operated flights. Does not provide any benefit on partner flights.
  • There is no requirement that it must be a UA-issued ticket (016). There are successful reports for bookings on non-016 / UA tickets.
  • E+ subscription applies to award and paid flights (but not Basic Economy fares)
  • Coverage for additional travelers (if purchased) only applies to those on the same PNR {but you can try calling -- might get lucky}
  • An E+ access subscription does not provide other benefits like premier access (check-in, security or boarding)
  • If upgraded, there is no E+ refund for that segment (unlike purchasing individual E+ segment access)
  • The purchase price of the E+ subscription qualifies for PQDs and will credit in the year of the purchaseThe recipient of an Economy Plus gift subscription is given PQD credit for the price of the subscription purchase when the subscription is activated.

What will happen with a reservation that occurs after the E+ subscription expires? Will my E+ seat assignment be changed?
-- The E+ selection can only me made if the travel is within subscription period

Can I have an E+ subscription but credit my flights to a different *A program?
Yes, but it will take some effort. If you remove your MP account from the reservations and there is any change in aircraft you may lose your E+ seat assignment. Best to wait until you have checked-in and have your BP. If you have multiple segments, it can get tedious to switch the program account multiple times. There is a small risk if you have a problem changing accounts, the flight credit might go to UA.

Print Wikipost

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Correct. And I just noticed this was your first post. Welcome to FT!
Thanks for the help!

Does anyone use the E+ subscription? Are all E+ seats really available to pick from as long as someone hasn’t taken it? I see a lot of fine print. I am only purchasing it for a few overseas flights where we want to get the exit row. I would not be happy if I spent that much money and then find out they only show a limited number of E + seats to chose from!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: UA - seesaws between no status and Silver; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tealy13

Thanks for the help!

Does anyone use the E+ subscription? Are all E+ seats really available to pick from as long as someone hasn’t taken it? I see a lot of fine print. I am only purchasing it for a few overseas flights where we want to get the exit row. I would not be happy if I spent that much money and then find out they only show a limited number of E + seats to chose from!
My husband has an E+ subscription and has always been able to choose any E+ seat on the map that was open.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You got a particularly unhelpful agent, although it sounds like the easiest solution to your situation is pairs of one-ways.

First question, is there really no way to have the agent make one reservation and just pull our points from each account?
This is possible (I'm 90% sure I have seen it done), but it involves a lot more manual hackery than most agents really want to do. The practical answer is probably "no" because you aren't going to find an agent who wants to.

Second question, if we have to make two spearte reservations how can we use the E+ subscription service for both of us?

Third question, can phone agents really not put you in E+ seats without charging you? I asked the rep since I would have already paid for the E+ subscription if they would just put my husband (my companion) in E+ seats without charging and they said like everything else “our system doesn’t allow us”
The rep was just wrong. Reservations agents can put any pax in any seat on the plane and will not be "forced" to collect payment. You should be able to use your subscription for this -- elites do this for off-PNR companions all the time.
Yes, you can select from any available E+ seat, just as if you had the requisite status.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
You should be able to use your subscription for this -- elites do this for off-PNR companions all the time
I'm not suggesting it hasn't been done, but the subscription FAQ's specifically say it needs to be the same reservation.

I don't know if I would recommend to a GM (who would typically be relegated to off shore agents) to take this path. But YMMV
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I'm not suggesting it hasn't been done, but the subscription FAQ's specifically say it needs to be the same reservation.

I don't know if I would recommend to a GM (who would typically be relegated to off shore agents) to take this path. But YMMV
Yeah, my main point is that there is certainly no software check preventing an agent from honoring it. If you have no status, it's much harder to do a lot of the things that we can do because getting a good agent is harder.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Originally Posted by findark
My guess is that would work -- I think it's the NZ system checking you in causing the seat change. You can check in for the UA segment with UA (online or app) on the ground in AKL after your AKL-IAH BP is scanned and you are onboard the aircraft.
I tried this on a WLG-AKL-IAH-DCA itinerary this past week and it worked — had NZ only check me in thru IAH and not farther. The only weirdness is that we had checked bags which then needed to be re-tagged at the connections desk at IAH when I checked in there. My seat assignment from that point was held so all good.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:27 am

United Economy Plus subscription

Hi, Can someone please help to answer my questions
1/ I already purchased flight tickets 2 months ago, the flight is in 1 week. If I subscribe the United Economy Plus today, would I be able to change my seats to economy plus? Or it only apply to future purchase?
2/ how long it takes for subscription to be active?
3/ Will subscription works on mileage plus award ticket?
Thank you so much. United representatives are no help. I talked to 4 people, each of them gave me different answers.

Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know how long the processing time is, but yes you could purchase it now and apply it to previously-booked flights, and yes it would be fine on a (UA) award ticket. I would imagine a week would be plenty of time though.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bought an E+ subscription a few years ago when I slipped from Silver to general member. The online cart did a sketchy thing and turned it into a club membership at checkout, instead of E+, so watch out for that. Once that was sorted out after an hour or so on the phone, the E+ membership was active immediately and I could go move myself up to E+ on previously booked flights.
CREN likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I bought an E+ subscription a few years ago when I slipped from Silver to general member. The online cart did a sketchy thing and turned it into a club membership at checkout, instead of E+, so watch out for that. Once that was sorted out after an hour or so on the phone, the E+ membership was active immediately and I could go move myself up to E+ on previously booked flights.
literally the exact same thing just happened to my brother. united refused to credit him, and i remembered seeing this post, so he's now waiting to speak to a supervisor
Old May 17, 2021, 11:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
When applying it to previously booked flights, I don't have to rebook anything, right? I can keep my existing reservation (and pricing) intact and simply upgrade the seats to E+ if space permits?

Also, is this available to use any time there are E+ seats available, or only when upgrades (like mileage plus) are available also? Thanks!
Old May 17, 2021, 11:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by svo242
When applying it to previously booked flights, I don't have to rebook anything, right? I can keep my existing reservation (and pricing) intact and simply upgrade the seats to E+ if space permits? ...
Your subscription is tied to your MP account and any PNR with that MP account attached then you will be able to access E+ seating. Note it is not considered an upgrade -- but rather free "access" to E+ seating. So, yes it will work for previously booked tickets.
Originally Posted by svo242
Also, is this available to use any time there are E+ seats available, ....
Yes, nothing to do with upgrades.
SPN Lifer and svo242 like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
To expand on what WineCountryUA said, as of right now United doesn't identify E+ as a separate class of service (like PremiumPlus, Business, First, etc.) so the terminology "upgrade" can be considered confusing. For the most part, it is just a seat with a bit of extra legroom (and some minor F&B benefits on select transcons). To put it another way, with E+ seating access your ticket is still in the same fare-class and you aren't changing cabins. So pretty much any terminology you might have heard in the context of upgrades (CPU, PlusPoints, PN/PZ/RN, etc.) has no bearing on the E+ seating. As far as I know, as long as there is a seat showing up as unoccupied on the seat map in E+, you can select it with the subscription.
SPN Lifer and svo242 like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:47 am

UA Global Economy Plus Subscription

Planning a year long RTW trip; planning to try to stick to Star Alliance airlines, and use miles as much as possible to cover flights. Traveling with 4 people, so it may be difficult to earn/ redeem enough miles to get us in (at least) economy plus the entire year. Anyway, we're looking at the economy plus subscription. Can it be used on partner airlines? Can it be used to upgrade a redemption ticket?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by akswartz85
Can it be used on partner airlines?
No

Originally Posted by akswartz85
Can it be used to upgrade a redemption ticket?
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.