Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Economy Plus subscriptions
E+ subscriptions are available in various packages
  • Number of travelers who will receive the benefits of the subscription
    • Subscriber-only
    • Subscriber and one companion
    • Subscriber and eight companions
  • Region
    • Continental United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)
    • North and Central America
    • Intra-Asia and Oceania (excludes flights from Honolulu to Guam)
    • Global

Key T&Cs
  • Subscriptions are non-refundable and non-transferable.
  • Subscriptions will expire on the date indicated on the term at purchase of the subscription.
  • Economy Plus is offered on select flights operated by United and United Express.
  • Economy Plus seat requests and specific seat assignments are not guaranteed.
  • Customers who are traveling on a Basic Economy ticket are not eligible to receive Economy Plus subscription benefits.
  • Subscriptions may be customized to benefit additional travelers on the same reservation as the subscriber. Travelers not covered by the subscription benefits are subject to additional charges.
  • Flights must be scheduled to depart within the subscription period.
  • The subscriber’s MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
  • Subscriptions may be upgraded at any time.
  • Upgraded subscriptions are valid for one year from the time of upgrade.
  • Any unused value from the previous subscription will be applied to the upgrade price.
  • Subscriptions can be renewed and can be set-up for auto-renewal

Additional key points
  • E+ subscription allows selection of E+ seats at the time of booking (Same as UA Gold and higher elites -- UA Silver do not have access until check-in)
  • Subscription applies to individual segments, so if a segment of your itinerary is in a covered region, that segment is eligible. Segments outside your purchased region are not eligible.
  • E+ access subscription only applies to UA/UX operated flights. Does not provide any benefit on partner flights.
  • There is no requirement that it must be a UA-issued ticket (016). There are successful reports for bookings on non-016 / UA tickets.
  • E+ subscription applies to award and paid flights (but not Basic Economy fares)
  • Coverage for additional travelers (if purchased) only applies to those on the same PNR {but you can try calling -- might get lucky}
  • An E+ access subscription does not provide other benefits like premier access (check-in, security or boarding)
  • If upgraded, there is no E+ refund for that segment (unlike purchasing individual E+ segment access)
  • The purchase price of the E+ subscription qualifies for PQDs and will credit in the year of the purchaseThe recipient of an Economy Plus gift subscription is given PQD credit for the price of the subscription purchase when the subscription is activated.

What will happen with a reservation that occurs after the E+ subscription expires? Will my E+ seat assignment be changed?
-- The E+ selection can only me made if the travel is within subscription period

Can I have an E+ subscription but credit my flights to a different *A program?
Yes, but it will take some effort. If you remove your MP account from the reservations and there is any change in aircraft you may lose your E+ seat assignment. Best to wait until you have checked-in and have your BP. If you have multiple segments, it can get tedious to switch the program account multiple times. There is a small risk if you have a problem changing accounts, the flight credit might go to UA.

Print Wikipost

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
OK thanks, I'll try that next time I'm in this situation, in March.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:27 am

E+ Subscription question

I have an E+ subscription that expires at the end of February. Due to a much reduced travel schedule for this year I probably will not renew it. I have booked two upcoming flights: one in March and one in April, both after the subscription expires. In both cases, I was allowed to book a seat in E+ even though the subscription will have expired by the time I fly. So, what happens to these seats? Will I show up at the airport only to find that I have been banished to a middle seat in the back of the plane? OR, do they honor E+ seats reserved during the term of the subscription, even if the flights are after termination of the subscription.

Thank you.

Last edited by Kensterfly; Feb 4, 2019 at 9:27 am Reason: .
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The reservation will be honored; however, if you lose your seat assignment due to a frame swap, IRROPS, etc, then you have no recourse and will fly in E-.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:34 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
...Will I show up at the airport only to find that I have been banished to a middle seat in the back of the plane...
Originally Posted by findark
...if you lose your seat assignment... you have no recourse and will fly in E-.
OP's recourse is to purchase an E+ seat last-minute (assuming there is one available) Further, OP should periodically check the reservations for possible seats loss and act at that time... or not.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by 2Travelers2go
Just booked a RT non-stop from IAH to SYD earlier this week for travel in April/May. Since this is a "once in a lifetime" trip and a long-haul flight we opted to pay for Premium Economy and selected desired seats. We have already been ticketed/paid for these flights. Looking at UA's website today it appears the non-stop from IAH is no longer there! Only options now seem to be from IAH to SFO or LAX, then on to SYD. Does this mean UA has already canx the IAH-SYD non-stop and we should be prepared for the extra stopover in SFO or LAX? When would they normally advise booked passengers of such a change? Thanks for any insights - this kind of long haul flight is new to us and we thought this flight option was a good one. It will be disappointing if we have to add another leg onto the trip we weren't expecting.
United doesn't offer Premium Plus (Premium Economy) on its routes to Australia yet. If the route you had booked is cancelled, you can either request a refund or pick another routing of your choosing via SFO or LAX. You'll usually get a red error message on the itinerary when you view it on the website.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 9, 2019 at 1:11 pm Reason: Split subscription discussion into this thread
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:50 am

"United doesn't offer Premium Plus (Premium Economy) on its routes to Australia yet."

This is strange … since when we booked tickets, Premium Economy was indeed an option for an addition $600+ and we selected that and specific seats on the plane which were identified as "Premium Economy" with additional leg-room/space. Our invoice reflects the Premium Economy option with the associated costs. I've also read reviews from other pax who have flown Premium Economy on the IAH-SYD route.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:06 am

"United doesn't offer Premium Plus (Premium Economy) on its routes to Australia yet."

This is strange … since when we booked tickets, Premium Economy was indeed an option for an addition $600+ and we selected that and specific seats on the plane which were identified as "Premium Economy" with additional leg-room/space. Our invoice reflects the Premium Economy option with the associated costs. I've also read reviews from other pax who have flown Premium Economy on the IAH-SYD route.
That class of service doesn’t exist on the 787-9 aircraft flying that route. It will eventually, probably closer to the end of 2019 if United puts its newly ordered 787-9s on that route which will be delivered with Optima seats in Polaris and the advertised Premium Economy.

I tried booking Premium Exomony for several dates in April/May but there is no availability which makes sense since that class of service does not exist. Are you sure you didn’t purchse Economy+? Paying only $600 extra is reasonable for a pair of Economy + seats.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:19 am

Mea cupla - I stand corrected … actual category is called "Economy Plus" not "Premium Economy." But these are supposedly seats with more leg room and we paid extra for them.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Mea cupla - I stand corrected … actual category is called "Economy Plus" not "Premium Economy." But these are supposedly seats with more leg room and we paid extra for them.
hopefully you did not pay $600! Yes, there is a bit more legroom, but not that much. $600 sounds WAYYYY too steep for E+
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:21 am

cfisher, unfortunately yes that is what we paid. This is the one time in our lives we decided to pay for extra "room" because of flight length. Well, that didn't work out so well since our itinerary may be up-ended. And now it appears we got taken on the price for specific Economy Plus seats, which we may or may not even get.

Sigh. I remember when the air travel itself was a fun adventure. First time I flew on a plane was in the 60s. My mom wore a hat and gloves and dad had on a suit! Sadly, those days are long gone.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 2MM
cfisher, unfortunately yes that is what we paid. This is the one time in our lives we decided to pay for extra "room" because of flight length. Well, that didn't work out so well since our itinerary may be up-ended. And now it appears we got taken on the price for specific Economy Plus seats, which we may or may not even get.
If you paid for Economy Plus seating, you will still be eligible for this on a different routing.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:27 am

Sigh. I remember when the air travel itself was a fun adventure. First time I flew on a plane was in the 60s. My mom wore a hat and gloves and dad had on a suit! Sadly, those days are long gone.
$600 for both tickets, I hope? Even then, $300 per ticket is still expensive (IMO) for what you get with E+
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
use the schedule change to your advantage, and get back the $600 you paid for economy plus. you got hosed. save the money for nice dinners in sydney.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
hopefully you did not pay $600! Yes, there is a bit more legroom, but not that much. $600 sounds WAYYYY too steep for E+
$600 total for two passengers round trip is $150 per person per leg for E+ which is consistent with E+ prices on other UA flights given the length of the flights in question.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by riphamilton
use the schedule change to your advantage, and get back the $600 you paid for economy plus. you got hosed.

if anything, buy an economy plus subscription for $599. you’ll be able to pick E+ seats for you and up to eight others on the reservation.... and be able to use that subscription for another year.
This advice is probably the most valuable one here and often overlooked. United subscriptions can be so valuable but no one knows about them. People pay more individual segments in E+ than a global subscription.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.