Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Economy Plus subscriptions
E+ subscriptions are available in various packages
  • Number of travelers who will receive the benefits of the subscription
    • Subscriber-only
    • Subscriber and one companion
    • Subscriber and eight companions
  • Region
    • Continental United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)
    • North and Central America
    • Intra-Asia and Oceania (excludes flights from Honolulu to Guam)
    • Global

Key T&Cs
  • Subscriptions are non-refundable and non-transferable.
  • Subscriptions will expire on the date indicated on the term at purchase of the subscription.
  • Economy Plus is offered on select flights operated by United and United Express.
  • Economy Plus seat requests and specific seat assignments are not guaranteed.
  • Customers who are traveling on a Basic Economy ticket are not eligible to receive Economy Plus subscription benefits.
  • Subscriptions may be customized to benefit additional travelers on the same reservation as the subscriber. Travelers not covered by the subscription benefits are subject to additional charges.
  • Flights must be scheduled to depart within the subscription period.
  • The subscriber’s MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
  • Subscriptions may be upgraded at any time.
  • Upgraded subscriptions are valid for one year from the time of upgrade.
  • Any unused value from the previous subscription will be applied to the upgrade price.
  • Subscriptions can be renewed and can be set-up for auto-renewal

Additional key points
  • E+ subscription allows selection of E+ seats at the time of booking (Same as UA Gold and higher elites -- UA Silver do not have access until check-in)
  • Subscription applies to individual segments, so if a segment of your itinerary is in a covered region, that segment is eligible. Segments outside your purchased region are not eligible.
  • E+ access subscription only applies to UA/UX operated flights. Does not provide any benefit on partner flights.
  • There is no requirement that it must be a UA-issued ticket (016). There are successful reports for bookings on non-016 / UA tickets.
  • E+ subscription applies to award and paid flights (but not Basic Economy fares)
  • Coverage for additional travelers (if purchased) only applies to those on the same PNR {but you can try calling -- might get lucky}
  • An E+ access subscription does not provide other benefits like premier access (check-in, security or boarding)
  • If upgraded, there is no E+ refund for that segment (unlike purchasing individual E+ segment access)
  • The purchase price of the E+ subscription qualifies for PQDs and will credit in the year of the purchaseThe recipient of an Economy Plus gift subscription is given PQD credit for the price of the subscription purchase when the subscription is activated.

What will happen with a reservation that occurs after the E+ subscription expires? Will my E+ seat assignment be changed?
-- The E+ selection can only me made if the travel is within subscription period

Can I have an E+ subscription but credit my flights to a different *A program?
Yes, but it will take some effort. If you remove your MP account from the reservations and there is any change in aircraft you may lose your E+ seat assignment. Best to wait until you have checked-in and have your BP. If you have multiple segments, it can get tedious to switch the program account multiple times. There is a small risk if you have a problem changing accounts, the flight credit might go to UA.

Print Wikipost

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lastnline11
Thank you. Exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping to have pointed out that I'm not considering.

Most flight segments will be to main hubs. I fly out of ORD but there are some smaller destnations like Charlotte and Minneapolis that likely will not have E+ options. Something good for me to consider as I try to price out the value.

I also need to figure out for my trips after earning silver status how to devalue the E+ subscription as some I would get these at $0 cost depending on availability once at status.

My main thought was again because I already was considering upgrading to E+ for my 2 large segments to Sydney and back which is ~$200 each way, so $400 total. The first flight alone if I upgraded the whole thing to E+ (ORD > SFO > SYD then MEL > LAX > ORD would cost ~$600.
Minneapolis is served by some UA mainline flights, depending on the time of day, so at least many them have Y+ seats. If you're traveling for business, you're likely to be flying at times that are served by larger aircraft on this route.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Let me put it this way.

The $699 will not be a waste to you. At the minimum, the subscription will allow you to select E+ at booking rather than T-24 hours.

So it will not be a waste even after you becoming a Silver.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by lastnline11
Most flight segments will be to main hubs. I fly out of ORD but there are some smaller destnations like Charlotte and Minneapolis that likely will not have E+ options. Something good for me to consider as I try to price out the value.
E+ seating is available on UX Q400, ERJ-145, & CRJ-200, to pick some smaller aircraft out of the hat.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rustykettel
E+ seating is available on UX Q400, ERJ-145, & CRJ-200, to pick some smaller aircraft out of the hat.
Also on E170, E175, CR7, etc.

Plus all mainline flights have E+. Seems like a no brainer to me.

At most I would guess 0-2 of your flights won't have it (basically if you are stuck on an E135/E145 which has E+ in name only but otherwise you should have it on your flights - and at a minimum even on E135/E145 the exit row is always classed as E+ so you can get that if you happen on a plane or two without E+)
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With that many segments before you get E+, I'd pay for the subscription, especially since it will get you E+ at booking all year.

I didn't pay for E+ the first year after I started a lot of flying after about a 10 year break and regretted it, though I was flying a lot fewer longer segments (almost all transcon). If you don't make gold this year then it's a more open question - I haven't made it past silver in a while, and the only times I don't manage to get E+ at T-24 are when my seats are booked so late that there's no E+ anyway (e.g. same day or day before on a high travel day).
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cmdinnyc
Another thing to remember is that Silver status now only allows access to E+ at 24 hours before departure. If you fly routes that have a lot of elites where E+ is filled, you may have some difficulty getting in to E+ even if you book your flights well in advance. A subscription will still give you "peace of mind" that you will be able to get E+ when you book.
I've never failed to receive an E+ aisle or window seat as silver since I received status last March and flown regularly since, primarily through hubs or CLE. Disclaimer: I only fly domestically on UA/Star Alliance.

With that said, if you do proceed to go through with this (which might sound wise given your objectives), it might be worth considering a credit card that has an airline fee credit. Someone else mentioned doing similarly with the Ritz-Carlton Visa. I might recommend the Citi Prestige, which although it has a $450 annual fee, is largely offset by the $250 airline fee credit in addition to some amazing benefits (4th night free on all hotel bookings is my favorite perk of the card). Also, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card, which has a $100 airline fee credit, is great for its 2x points on restaurants, gas, groceries, in addition to 3x points on airfare booked directly through airlines.

Last edited by am13; Jan 23, 2016 at 10:14 am
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Since you are planning on doing international, I would probably do it.

I used to pay for the E+ subscription but stopped after a year. I was a PMUA Premier, and E+ was a given back then, which was great. I dropped to being a GM around the time of the merger, so I paid for the subscription, which was (I think) around $350 back then. I didn't think that was a bad deal, and I also was one of the people who had my subscription extended indefinitely while UA took a while to figure out how to sell it again in SHARES. When it came back, they bumped up the price, and I don't really fly UA at all long haul (I usually stick to LH or SN), so it wasn't really worth paying $500 for E+ on all the SFO-DEN and other banal domsetic flights I used to take on UA.

Point being: I think the E+ subscription only works for people who really value E+, those who plan on doing at least one int'l roundtrip on UA metal, and who are truly at the threshold of Premier status.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: UA Member/Marriott Silver/SPG Gold/Hilton Honors Gold
New Economy Plus Message on Reservation

So I log onto United this morning to check my reservation coming up (just to see if they changed anything and didn't notify me) and I see this message

Economy Plus Subscription

<Name>, as an Economy Plus® subscriber, you can book an Economy Plus seat on any United or United Express® flight with Economy Plus availability. Your Economy Plus benefits will be reflected on the following page. Additional companions who are traveling on the same reservation and wish to sit in the Economy Plus seating area must purchase Economy Plus.

Region Included travelers

Continental United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii) Subscriber

This is new. I haven't "subscribed" to anything. It seems like it opened up the BDL-EWR seats to book, but not the other legs. What does the above message mean...bug?
Old May 5, 2016, 11:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Check your UA account online, go to My Account and look at the right hand side for "My Travel Options, Current subscriptions"

Anything listed?
Old May 5, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Maybe it's just trying to SELL the subscription?
Old May 8, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
I got this message too, for both me and my husband, on a flight where we'd already paid for economy plus. But then I went to an individual ticket for myself about three weeks after that, and it appears I can book economy plus at no charge. I don't have a subscription, verified as WineCountryUA suggested above.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:32 am

As an economy plus subscriber

So what does this really mean.. I see the following Info box on my online itinerary:

XXXXXXXX, as an Economy Plus® subscriber, you can book an Economy Plus seat on any United or United Express® flight with Economy Plus availability. Your Economy Plus benefits will be reflected on the following page. Additional companions who are traveling on the same reservation and wish to sit in the Economy Plus seating area must purchase Economy Plus.

They make it sound like I have a subscription (no I did not actively subscribe), but if I try to select a Eplus seat, it still shows me a charge. If I do not have a subscription, why show me the info box. It doesn't say IF you subscribe..... it says as a subscriber.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by monty95
So what does this really mean.. I see the following Info box on my online itinerary:

XXXXXXXX, as an Economy Plus® subscriber, you can book an Economy Plus seat on any United or United Express® flight with Economy Plus availability. Your Economy Plus benefits will be reflected on the following page. Additional companions who are traveling on the same reservation and wish to sit in the Economy Plus seating area must purchase Economy Plus.

They make it sound like I have a subscription (no I did not actively subscribe), but if I try to select a Eplus seat, it still shows me a charge. If I do not have a subscription, why show me the info box. It doesn't say IF you subscribe..... it says as a subscriber.
They show it because they want you to pay for it.

As a subscriber could also mean if you were a subscriber. But that would be a weird punctuation for that.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
On your MileagePlus Account page, does it list anything under Current Subscriptions?

United gifted some members a free EconomyPlus subscription last week, so maybe you were a recipient.
Old May 20, 2016, 4:32 pm

Theddo was correct....just a ploy to try to get you to purchase. No gift for me Thanks for the replies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.