Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Economy Plus subscriptions
E+ subscriptions are available in various packages
  • Number of travelers who will receive the benefits of the subscription
    • Subscriber-only
    • Subscriber and one companion
    • Subscriber and eight companions
  • Region
    • Continental United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)
    • North and Central America
    • Intra-Asia and Oceania (excludes flights from Honolulu to Guam)
    • Global

Key T&Cs
  • Subscriptions are non-refundable and non-transferable.
  • Subscriptions will expire on the date indicated on the term at purchase of the subscription.
  • Economy Plus is offered on select flights operated by United and United Express.
  • Economy Plus seat requests and specific seat assignments are not guaranteed.
  • Customers who are traveling on a Basic Economy ticket are not eligible to receive Economy Plus subscription benefits.
  • Subscriptions may be customized to benefit additional travelers on the same reservation as the subscriber. Travelers not covered by the subscription benefits are subject to additional charges.
  • Flights must be scheduled to depart within the subscription period.
  • The subscriber’s MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
  • Subscriptions may be upgraded at any time.
  • Upgraded subscriptions are valid for one year from the time of upgrade.
  • Any unused value from the previous subscription will be applied to the upgrade price.
  • Subscriptions can be renewed and can be set-up for auto-renewal

Additional key points
  • E+ subscription allows selection of E+ seats at the time of booking (Same as UA Gold and higher elites -- UA Silver do not have access until check-in)
  • Subscription applies to individual segments, so if a segment of your itinerary is in a covered region, that segment is eligible. Segments outside your purchased region are not eligible.
  • E+ access subscription only applies to UA/UX operated flights. Does not provide any benefit on partner flights.
  • There is no requirement that it must be a UA-issued ticket (016). There are successful reports for bookings on non-016 / UA tickets.
  • E+ subscription applies to award and paid flights (but not Basic Economy fares)
  • Coverage for additional travelers (if purchased) only applies to those on the same PNR {but you can try calling -- might get lucky}
  • An E+ access subscription does not provide other benefits like premier access (check-in, security or boarding)
  • If upgraded, there is no E+ refund for that segment (unlike purchasing individual E+ segment access)
  • The purchase price of the E+ subscription qualifies for PQDs and will credit in the year of the purchaseThe recipient of an Economy Plus gift subscription is given PQD credit for the price of the subscription purchase when the subscription is activated.

What will happen with a reservation that occurs after the E+ subscription expires? Will my E+ seat assignment be changed?
-- The E+ selection can only me made if the travel is within subscription period

Can I have an E+ subscription but credit my flights to a different *A program?
Yes, but it will take some effort. If you remove your MP account from the reservations and there is any change in aircraft you may lose your E+ seat assignment. Best to wait until you have checked-in and have your BP. If you have multiple segments, it can get tedious to switch the program account multiple times. There is a small risk if you have a problem changing accounts, the flight credit might go to UA.

Print Wikipost

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 11:47 pm

Can United Economy Plus Subscription be used on award tickets?

If I buy the one-year membership for United Economy Plus, which allows you to pick a Economy Plus seat. Does that also apply to award ticket or must be it be paid flights only?
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
If I buy the one-year membership for United Economy Plus, which allows you to pick a Economy Plus seat. Does that also apply to award ticket or must be it be paid flights only?
E+ subscription is applicable to award and paid flights (but not Basic Economy fares)
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:03 pm

buying tickets past current expiration date of E+ subscription?

I think my current E+ subscription expires in about a month. I am undecided whether to purchase it again (I have silver right now, and not sure how many times I will use E+ over the next year). I have a trip in November where I thought I'd purchase the tickets now, pick E+ seats and hope I could keep them but it seems the website insists on charging me if I want to pick E+ seats.

On the one hand I get that my current sub does not extend to November, but on the other hand I do have E+ right now-- do they now expect me to pay for extending my subscription now (a month before it is due) before they will let me book an E+ seat for November?

Was my plan dumb in any case because they would certainly reassign me if I didn't purchase E+ again?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Homer15

On the one hand I get that my current sub does not extend to November, but on the other hand I do have E+ right now-- do they now expect me to pay for extending my subscription now (a month before it is due) before they will let me book an E+ seat for November? ....
T&Cs state
Flights must be scheduled to depart within the subscription period.
The renewal may extend the present subscription, not replace it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 20, 2022 at 9:33 pm Reason: renewal
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:03 pm

Hello,
I have a question. I already purchased my refundable tickets last week. If I subscribe the economy plus now, would I be able to change seat on my previous reservation? Thank you so much for your help.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tiffany
Hello,
I have a question. I already purchased my refundable tickets last week. If I subscribe the economy plus now, would I be able to change seat on my previous reservation? Thank you so much for your help.
Yes, the subscription is good for travel dates during the subscription term. Purchase dates aren't relevant -- you can use your subscription on flights you've already taken, and you can't use your subscription on dates after its expiration, even if you buy the tickets prior to expiration.

(Note that Basic Economy tickets are not eligible for E+ seating, even with the subscription, but since you mention refundable tickets, I conclude you're not in Basic Economy).
tiffany likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:01 am

Can I use a subscription on award tickets booked thru partner airlines?

for example if I book thru air Canada or avianca
Old Jul 9, 2022, 12:19 pm

Welcome to FT!, Yeezywesr

Originally Posted by Yeezywesr
Can I use a subscription on award tickets booked thru partner airlines?

for example if I book thru air Canada or avianca
Useable on any UA / UX operated flight where your MP account is in the PNR (that can be tricky for some award programs).
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, Yeezywesr

Useable on any UA / UX operated flight where your MP account is in the PNR (that can be tricky for some award programs).
thanks for answering! I have some MR points that I plan on transferring to air Canada to make award bookings .

i already have one booking and E+ cost is about $600 for 3 people (ORD-GRU)
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Med, Marriott Plat
United E+ Subscription - select seat before expiration? Or fly before expiration?

I have an E+ subscription for domestic. It is not offering E+ for free on an award PNR next year, which is dated after my subscription would have run out.
Auto-renew: Off Edit
Expires: 10/06/2022
I did not book this PNR, but I don't think it matters for using the subscription. I can see the PNR in my united account, and can change my seats. But united wants to charge when I attempt E+ seats, as though I didn't have a subscription.

I am assuming that I need the E+ active when I make the seat selection, not necessarily when I fly. Am I mistaken?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by former1k
I am assuming that I need the E+ active when I make the seat selection, not necessarily when I fly. Am I mistaken?
Yes, of course you're mistaken. Otherwise, a one-year subscription would be valid for nearly two years.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...nomy-plus.html
  • Flights must be scheduled to depart within the subscription period.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:40 am
RNE

I have an E+ subscription for domestic. Expires: 10/06/2022. I am assuming that I need the E+ active when I make the seat selection, not necessarily when I fly. Am I mistaken?
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, of course you're mistaken.
Can former1k renew now?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Can former1k renew now?
Subscriptions can be renewed 30 days prior to its expiration.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Med, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, of course you're mistaken. Otherwise, a one-year subscription would be valid for nearly two years.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Subscriptions can be renewed 30 days prior to its expiration.
I get how my interpretation could be up to two long years, and that's not reasonable to United. Okay. But the opposite is also not reasonable, to the customer. The sub can could be good for 12 months or as little as a month, depending on where someone is in their subscription year. Mine is up in two months, and is now essentially useless for another month.

Like many fliers, I like to schedule flights and seats as the 11-month scheduling window opens up. I can't, unless I coincidentally just started a new subscription year. And then my forward looking window shrinks and shrinks to near zero, then back up another year. Not an ideal customer experience.

I am willing to pay for two years at a time to eliminate this problem. Not sure why UA doesn't want to take subscription money upfront...? /rant

Last edited by former1k; Aug 11, 2022 at 1:06 am
Old Aug 11, 2022, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like many fliers, I like to schedule flights and seats as the 11-month scheduling window opens up.
The vast, vast majority of flyers do no such thing. I suppose "many" is correct -- there are certainly plenty of people who do exactly that -- but you're not the common case. (FWIW, you're likely paying a substantial penalty in terms of the fare -- UA very rarely offers its best price immediately. It may be worth your time to check occasionally to see if the fare has dropped).

I can't, unless I coincidentally just started a new subscription year. And then my forward looking window shrinks and shrinks to near zero, then back up another year. Not an ideal customer experience.
I mean, you can -- you don't have to reserve seats immediately. You can reserve them once your subscription renews. And I understand that you may be somewhat nervous about that -- presumably, the reason to book 11 months in advance is to reduce uncertainty -- but you're flying an airline where seats can (and do) get reassigned on a whim, for no apparent reason; where the schedule 11 months out is aspirational at best, and where you can generally count upon having to babysit your reservation if you want it to stay pristine. And considering that a relatively tiny percentage of the seats will be reserved more than, say, 6 weeks in advance, you're probably not taking that much of a risk here.

Try an experiment. Open the flight map for 6 weeks from today for a flight you'd consider taking. I'll do (without looking) IAH-FRA, and I'll pick a Friday to try to get a high load. The seat map (Sep. 23) shows a smattering of E+ seats claimed, but 30 still available of 46 (and some of the unavailable ones may actually be blocked for gate assignment -- e.g, bulkheads reserved for customers with limited mobility).

I am willing to pay for two years at a time to eliminate this problem. Not sure why UA doesn't want to take subscription money upfront...? /rant
This, on the other hand, I can't answer, except that perhaps UA doesn't want to let people lock in future benefits at current prices? But I'm stretching here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.